• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What romantic values are present in Frankenstein? (1 Viewer)

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
she makes a reference to coleridge's work somewhere in the book, doesnt she?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Not so much nature as nature vs creation.
that seems to be all i've picked up from english in the past term. my teacher has this droning sort of voice, and every ten minutes he yells. i seem to hear a lot of 'nature' in the droning. i'm also thinking of it in comparison to bladerunner and it's pretty much nature vs artificiality, with a lot more meaning to it than just that but eh.

shelley focuses on the world around the characters, describing in minute detail the surroundings, and how it affects them, especially frankenstein and his monster.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
that seems to be all i've picked up from english in the past term. my teacher has this droning sort of voice, and every ten minutes he yells. i seem to hear a lot of 'nature' in the droning. i'm also thinking of it in comparison to bladerunner and it's pretty much nature vs artificiality, with a lot more meaning to it than just that but eh.

shelley focuses on the world around the characters, describing in minute detail the surroundings, and how it affects them, especially frankenstein and his monster.
What I got from it (and it was 5 years ago when I studied it) is humanity in the artificial (the creature), and inhumanity in the natural (Frankenstein).

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hmmm

Romanticism looks at the idea that through creativity humans can unlock the secrets of nature- Victor assumes the role of the creative genius.
Also the idea that nature can inspire awe and that it is complex- look for quotes as Victor describes the alps when he flees there and also the monster's awe at the beauty of nature when he starts recounting what happened after Victor abandoned him.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
What I got from it (and it was 5 years ago when I studied it) is humanity in the artificial (the creature), and inhumanity in the natural (Frankenstein).
nah, nature is actually mentioned a lot in this text in comparison to blade runner

Shoom

HSC
N/A
So the lightning is part of nature, this gave birth to the monster,
even Walton deciding eager to discover new land is an example of romantic thinking?

Shoom

HSC
N/A
How does letter one of Frankenstein establish the concepts of the module?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
which is correct, but when you compare it to bladerunner [have you seen it?] the whole society is artificial [inc animals] vs. the nature in frankenstein. even though the monster shouldn't exist, it was made of natural body parts, whereas the replicants [the parallels to the monster in bladerunner.] are completely artificial. we're supposed to look at how two texts with many similarities [plot, morals, etc] have changed through time due to their contexts, so nature fits in with the context of the 19th century england, as much technology hadn't been invented, compared to the 20th [or 21st when it was set] century when everything is technologically based.

i hope that made sense, feel free to question if it didn't.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
So the lightning is part of nature, this gave birth to the monster,
even Walton deciding eager to discover new land is an example of romantic thinking?
lightning?

we don't know how the monster was created.....

HSC
the monster is like rah rah rah

then the girl is like no stop it

then he is like rah rah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)