• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what makes james ruse better than other schools?? (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
Why are they weak in English? I thought that they would ace in it...
The whole state is generally weaker in English than in Mathematics with low percentages of band 6 results across all English and English Extension courses compared to Mathematics and Mathematics Extension courses.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's kinda sad that the only measure is of ppl who got above 90%- i thought it would be better if they used some system whereby it takes into account everyone's mark and averages it, and removes the top/bottom 10%? *shrugs* Maybe I'm just bitter about my 89 >_>

Bookie

Banned
HSC
i think it should be the aligned mark thing. cos a 90 in senior science (respect to those that do it) is about 10 times easier than a 90 in classical greek. so i think its a bit unbalanced in that way.

but hey, sydney high got the most number of people on the honour roll. SUCK ON THAT JAMES RUSE.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How many people from Sydney High made it to the Honour Roll again? I know we had 16 at Baulko.

The other thing I also always wonder is... what's the point of bragging how many people from your school got Distinction or on the HSC Honour Roll- if you didn't make it on? ehehehe... *probably hit a few ppl's sore spots!*

P

pLuvia

I don't think they reveal that as A l didn't list it in. And I think you get these statistics from their school site am I right?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I would be very interested in their average UAI rather than the median, which doesn't show the true spread of the UAIs.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Good luck getting it =P I don't know any school which publicises the average- because there's always a few students who get unbelievably low UAIs from lack of effort (ie. in the 50s) compared to the rest of the cohort which would drag the average down.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
seremify said:
How many people from Sydney High made it to the Honour Roll again? I know we had 16 at Baulko.

The other thing I also always wonder is... what's the point of bragging how many people from your school got Distinction or on the HSC Honour Roll- if you didn't make it on? ehehehe... *probably hit a few ppl's sore spots!*
hey jeff

i was talking about 'names in the paper' honour roll. so that means anyone who got over 90 in a subject ie. individual students.

Remember, its quantity, not quality, that counts. No one will care if you have mint condition $10 notes. They want big ass $100 notes, even if theyre dirty.

All schools who got 100+ individuals

High 217
Ruse 196 - suck on that.
Baulko 182
Barker 147
NSB 150
NSG 150
Grammar 145
Sydney Girls 145
Gosford 140
Pymble 137
St George 133
Hurlstone 127
Fort Street 121
Riverview 121
Knox 116
Merewether 114
Caringbah 103
Cherrybrook 101
Sefton 101

ps. Yes, I got on too.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Wow almost 200 students at Ruse! I didn't know there were that many! By the way you missed Aloysius, we have about 135. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Bookie said:
hey jeff

i was talking about 'names in the paper' honour roll. so that means anyone who got over 90 in a subject ie. individual students.

Remember, its quantity, not quality, that counts. No one will care if you have mint condition $10 notes. They want big ass $100 notes, even if theyre dirty.

All schools who got 100+ individuals

High 217
Ruse 196 - suck on that.
Baulko 182
Barker 147
NSB 150
NSG 150
Grammar 145
Sydney Girls 145
Gosford 140
Pymble 137
St George 133
Hurlstone 127
Fort Street 121
Riverview 121
Knox 116
Merewether 114
Caringbah 103
Cherrybrook 101
Sefton 101

ps. Yes, I got on too.
Wait a minute, am I right in understanding that your saying number of students rather than number of examinations who had at least one Band Six? Because in that case, it disadvantages Ruse and Baulko because of our smaller student intakes/capacity compared to other schools. Considering we have 184 people in our grade (+- 1 or 2), 182 out of 184 is pretty damn good.

This seems to remind me about the SMH vs. Daily Telegraph.. where SMH only took raw number of DAs whereas DT took DA/candidature size.

EDIT: I also thought Honour Roll was the name they used for people who got ranking... and the over 90% (ie. Band Six) were "Distinguished Achievers"?... *shrugs*

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
@ Riviet - Alo's got 131 certificates, but they were shared between 52 students, hence they did not make the 100+ list.

@ Seremify - yes, I'm saying the number of students. If it is a disadvantage because of you're small size, then get some more people, not my problem :p
And I dont think Baulko got 182 out of 184, because there would be a good 30 or 40 Year 10 and 11 accelerants in there too. But its still a good percentage nonetheless. Same goes with High and Ruse. High's 217 probably only consists of 160 Year 12s, and about 55-60 of us Year 11s who accelerated.
As for the definitions, (off SMH);
Honour Roll - the list of people who got band 6s
All Rounders - 90+ in 10 units
Best in subject - those that got ranks.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
@ Riviet - Alo's got 131 certificates, but they were shared between 52 students, hence they did not make the 100+ list.

Ah, now that seems to make sense. So many people got 90+ UAI at our school this year!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Bookie said:
@ Seremify - yes, I'm saying the number of students. If it is a disadvantage because of you're small size, then get some more people, not my problem :p
Based on your system, if a school has 300 people, and 250 of them get one Band Six in say... Business Studies or Biology, and another school, has 200 students, but all 200 get a Band Six in at least one subject (with most of them getting Band Six in most or all of their subjects)- then by your system, that second school, undoubtedly performed better than the first, would still be ranked second.

Anyhow, I'll let you use your own ranking system. Doesn't really change the fact that Ruse still probably beat the rest of us in terms of UAIs.

Bookie said:
And I dont think Baulko got 182 out of 184, because there would be a good 30 or 40 Year 10 and 11 accelerants in there too. But its still a good percentage nonetheless. Same goes with High and Ruse. High's 217 probably only consists of 160 Year 12s, and about 55-60 of us Year 11s who accelerated.
Actually our school doesn't offer much in terms of acceleration. Only Economics is accelerated with about 20-25 kids (2 x classes of 10-13 ppl)? I'd say at least 90% of them would've gotten Band Six because in internal assessments, most the top 40 ranks are taken by them with the exception of 1st place taken by Shweta Kumar (who was 2nd in state).

NB. There are a few students who do accelerated courses in other areas because they transferred to our school, but to the best of my knowledge, none did the HSC with us.

A l

HSC
N/A
I'm not surprised. Last year the total exams sat for Sydney Boys High School was 1263 (the highest number of exams sat in the top 10), while for James Ruse Agricultural High School it was 1159.
The candidature at Sydney Boys High School had a significant portion being made up by Preliminary students who were made to accelerate in the Mathematics course and many got band 6 results. From the Distinguised Achiever's list it is noticable that just over half of those from Sydney Boys High School scored it in only one course. Mathematics is one of those courses with a relatively easily accessible band 6 compared to most other courses, so this was and still is the sly strategy the school uses to maximise the number of band 6 results.
James Ruse Agricultural High School on the other hand does not adopt this strategy for Mathematics. The school has a total Year 12 cohort of less than 200 (last year it was 169), so the school has pretty average candidature compared to most other schools (this may be a surprise to some). Although there are noticable portions of accelerated students who contribute to the total number of band 6 results of the school, especially in accelerated Agriculture, most of the students scored band 6 in more than one subject. From the Distinguished Achiever's list it is noticeable that less than a fifth of those from James Ruse Agricultural High School scored it in only one course. It is this high performance across all subjects and most units of study for each student rather than just maximising the total number of students who get band 6 in a bare minimium of one subject, is what sets James Ruse Agricultural High School apart from the other schools, especially in accordance to the All Rounders list and the UAI.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Bookie said:
that shweta chcik doesnt live in wattle grove does she by any chance?
Don't think so... where's Wattle Grove?

I went to her house for a party last year.. it wasn't too far from Castle Towers (i wont' go into any more detail for her privacy) but if that's what you're talking about, then it probably is.

A l said:
It is this high performance across all subjects and most units of study for each student rather than just maximising the total number of students who get band 6 in a bare minimium of one subject, is what sets James Ruse Agricultural High School apart from the other schools, especially in accordance to the All Rounders list and the UAI.
I always thought that's what most schools aimed for? I mean what's the point of having kids Band Six in only one subject?!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Riviet said:
Ah, now that seems to make sense. So many people got 90+ UAI at our school this year!!
[/SIZE]
same at my...old...school. this year we prolly had the best academic results. the headmaster is literally jumping and dancing for joy.

A l

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I always thought that's what most schools aimed for? I mean what's the point of having kids Band Six in only one subject?!
You're right, but you might have misinterpreted my point. My point was that James Ruse Agircultural High School is one of the few schools who actually achieve an all round performance across most students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)