What is the optimum word/sentence length for an English thesis? (1 Viewer)

FreeLearner

HSC
What is the best word or sentence length for an English thesis in the essay's introduction?

I usually do around 40-50words is that too much? I know that it should be around 2 sentences, but for belonging I find 40-50words is really good for me.

what do you guys suggest?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Shorter is better. Shorter gives the sense you're more direct and to the point rather than rambling on...

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
When I teach, I tend to say 35 max, otherwise you risk not making the point clearly. A thesis should be direct and clear, this is your overall idea. You can definitely extend on it in other sentences, but try to make it a powerful start.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
20 optimum. If it's any longer than 30, split it into two sentences so the second can be like an explanatory one, expanding from your main thesis/point. I personally had my first sentence at 11 words in assessments, trials and the HSC, then my next at around 20 give or take (depending on the question), before introducing the texts.

enoilgam

HSC
Shorter is better. Shorter gives the sense you're more direct and to the point rather than rambling on...
This - with any essay you write you need to make sure you clearly and quickly state your thesis. Dont mince your words or ramble on, get to the point with the thesis.

FreeLearner

HSC
To be honest my thesis is usually a short 10word sentence. However, I always explain it with 1 or 2 more short sentences before introducing my texts. Would that be okay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)