What is so good about Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can end this debate by asking the students who attend the two universities.

If they attend UNSW they will say UNSW is the best.

If they attend USyd they will say USyd is the best.

Problem solved.

If any student were to say the uni they don't attend is the best one would probably question their sanity
Not necessarily. I fall into the boat which states that neither is better than the other - and you should decide based on criteria such as: location (how far will it take you to get to uni), friends (yes, it makes a difference to how much you enjoy university), and other criteria.

Mingsta

HSC
Wait, apparently architecture for UNSW is better than for USYD?? Is this true? The ATAR cut-offs are relatively the same.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And how about those that graduated in Humanities and Social Sciences at other universities?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
And how about those that graduated in Humanities and Social Sciences at other universities?
Apparently the prevailing average is 30%.

I would still take this information with a grain of salt because I've got absolutely no idea how they collate this information.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Have a look around the website, but because im a nice guy:D ill list the main ones here:
Average of all universities:30%
University of Sydney:36%
UNSW:21%
ANU:21% also the highest average starting salary
University of Newcastle:38% :( probably one to avoid
UWS:55% GTFO
UTS:28%

based on this I would recommend UNSW or ANU.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just compared Economics between USYD and UNSW where I found that the former has 28% seeking work while the latter has 0%. In all honesty, that doesn't sound right.

If anyone could find GUG detailing where they got their statistics from, please share. From what I can see, Hobsons (the company responsible for this publication) are using a small sample size to calculate their rankings so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not convinced at all.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Thats what its students say about the university not what an external organisation says

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol GUG seems to generally rate UNSW higher than USYD but have a look at another website by the same company/organisation (Hobsons):

USYD
http://www.rateyouruni.com.au/provider/view/12

UNSW
http://www.rateyouruni.com.au/provider/view/10

How inconsistent? USYD sounds a lot better there.
"Based on 95 ratings" or "Based on 175 ratings".

Are you seriously going to trust that site to see how good a uni is? GUG publishes their sources and some of it is government data, some of it is from 'Graduate Surveys' (not sure how large those are) and some of it is from the uni itself.

So I think that website is based entirely on student perceptions, while GUG tries to use a mix.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A

Are you seriously going to trust that site to see how good a uni is? GUG publishes their sources and some of it is government data, some of it is from 'Graduate Surveys' (not sure how large those are) and some of it is from the uni itself.

So I think that website is based entirely on student perceptions, while GUG tries to use a mix.
agreed
Finally the voice of reason :lol:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

As you're a disciple of the GUG, could you perhaps find some links you may have come across in the past or a few scans of the actual guide so I could have a look?

I think the fact that GUG try to quantify a qualitative opinion damages its credibility in my opinion. If they openly posted their data on their website with qualitative statements intact, I would have more time for it.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Thats what its students say about the university not what an external organisation says
and how does that external organisation know anything about the unis', for example, teaching quality? =through graduate surveys. Hence what students say.

I know the sample size is small but GUG doesn't even state their sample sizes (and gives some dodgy (hard-to-believe) stats like 0% vs twenty-something % that somebody posted up in this thread). Hence looking at individual ratings and finding consistency is better IMO which is what that website allows. Not just some number that came out of nowhere without citation or telling us how the numbers were produced if it's their analytical data.

izzy88

HSC
Heres an example:http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/ratings/institutionFOS/SYDNEY/UG/17
As of the latest count, 36% of University of Sydney graduates who graduated with a bachelors degree in humanities or social sciences were still unemployed 4 months after graduation :eek2:
I'm not sure how they calculate it and what questions they ask, but a lot of students after finishing their degrees go a travel for 6 months to a year rather than wanting to go straight into the workforce (the 'real world'). Its like a second 'gap' year (or the first gap year if you didn't take a break between school and uni). And its not just because they don't have jobs, or couldn't get one if they chose to, its just because they want to travel and have some fun before going ahead into the world.

I'm not saying that accounts for all of the 36%, but having a job (in the industry/career they want to work in) within 4 months of graduation isn't necessarily everyone's aim.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
and how does that external organisation know anything about the unis', for example, teaching quality? =through graduate surveys. Hence what students say.

I know the sample size is small but GUG doesn't even state their sample sizes (and gives some dodgy (hard-to-believe) stats like 0% vs twenty-something % that somebody posted up in this thread). Hence looking at individual ratings and finding consistency is better IMO which is what that website allows. Not just some number that came out of nowhere without citation or telling us how the numbers were produced if it's their analytical data.
Far point study freak but the point of concern here is the unemplyment rate not teaching quality

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, the uni's teaching quality and access to teaching staff, who cares it's all the same everywhere

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure how they calculate it and what questions they ask, but a lot of students after finishing their degrees go a travel for 6 months to a year rather than wanting to go straight into the workforce (the 'real world'). Its like a second 'gap' year (or the first gap year if you didn't take a break between school and uni). And its not just because they don't have jobs, or couldn't get one if they chose to, its just because they want to travel and have some fun before going ahead into the world.

I'm not saying that accounts for all of the 36%, but having a job (in the industry/career they want to work in) within 4 months of graduation isn't necessarily everyone's aim.
another valid point, but it is somewhat concerning, 36% is extremely large.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)