what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
bro wats wrong at UWS i reeeeeeeeeeaally don't understand. and actually they made the campuses smaller so it's beta learning environment, unlike UTS or USYD or UNSW huge campusese for wat?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
because a lot of people want to attend the aforementioned larger uni's? and rationally, larger coherts of students for each faculty would require larger campuses?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
obviously uws is a dodgy uni look at how low their entry marks are!!!
for example, bachelor of psychology is in the 90's for all other major uni's even at wollongong its 94 atar. at UWS its in the 70's!!! plus the fact that all people living in sydney get an extra 5 points with an extra 5 if they perform well in a related subject!!! thats up to 10 extra points!!! 5 of them for doing shit all!!! I'm sure this indicates it is a bad uni!!! i mean sure i believe that some of the uni's have courses with entrance marks to high but UWS is ridiculously low

plus its UWS... most employers if employing uni students are more inclined to recruit students from a more established or prestigious uni. UWS's low entrance marks aren't boosting its public image
low entry marks is not equal to low quality uni.

Like someone said it is determined by demand,

Not as many people apply for UWS so the marks are lower because they can take those lower mark people in.

just like UAI/ATAR is not a measurement of how you will succeed at uni, i know i got like 60 something and my first semester i managed to pull out a HD.

lawstudent

HSC
low entry marks is not equal to low quality uni.

Like someone said it is determined by demand,

Not as many people apply for UWS so the marks are lower because they can take those lower mark people in.

just like UAI/ATAR is not a measurement of how you will succeed at uni, i know i got like 60 something and my first semester i managed to pull out a HD.
Maybe there are underlying reasons why there are less demand for UWS courses? =O

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
location, lack of prestige, bad rep, percieved or not.

not all low entry marks mean bad courses my course had a low entry score yet is excellent but it is because the demand is low because noone wants to have a career in this field

samaccount123

HSC
The lecturers actually do care, they are very approachable and are leaders in their fields. This is why I chose Usyd, and it has lived up to my expectations.

Science is also not just based on books, there is a major practical component, and the tutors and people you interect with, as well as the facilities, make a big difference to enjoyment of a course.
Every practical thing in life didn't come from a university course comprising of practical things, it all came from human common sense and through our daily life or experiences..e.g. the invention of glasses didn't come from university, it just came from the desire to see clearer in china..therefore chinese people invented the glasses and hence made the course "Optometry"..whatever..Therefore, no matter what practical or where you do your practical..its all the same elsewhere..True, you do have to go out and buy materials to DO the practical..but that can just come from buying them from a shop.

So, theres really not much point in going to USYD just for the practicals now is there..? ALSO a course is not meant to be enjoyed, a course is mainly just to learn about something in particular..or in other words, SERIOUS UN-FUN STUDY..like back in ancient times

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Every practical thing in life didn't come from a university course comprising of practical things, it all came from human common sense and through our daily life or experiences..e.g. the invention of glasses didn't come from university, it just came from the desire to see clearer in china..therefore chinese people invented the glasses and hence made the course "Optometry"..whatever..Therefore, no matter what practical or where you do your practical..its all the same elsewhere..True, you do have to go out and buy materials to DO the practical..but that can just come from buying from a shop.

So, theres really not much point in going to USYD just for the practicals now is there..? ALSO a course is not meant to be enjoyed, a course is mainly just to learn about something in particular..or in other words, SERIOUS UN-FUN STUDY..like back in ancient times
if you do not enjoy what you are studying or interested you are not going to learn!

samaccount123

HSC
yeh it's a bit fucking moronic to say the lecturers don't care. even my most hated biology lecturers have given a shit about their students. my love of organic chemistry was pretty much fostered by the way it was presented by lecturers (not textbooks) at usyd, and they way they were so approachable and friendly after the class, in the lab etc. chatting to the likes of jolliffe, rutledge, todd, payne, baker etc in the lab has always been a pleasure and they're great people.

having said as much, i have very little to go on. lecturers at unsw in chem were generally as friendly, approachable and as enthusiastic as they are at usyd. i think this is to be expected by any academic tbh. you don't get to be an academic unless you're truly fucking talented in your field, and unless you're pretty invested in your chosen area. whether they're at unsw, uws or usyd doesn't really matter in that regard. it might when you're doing a ph.d, but not for an undergraduate.

so yeah, i dont really think you can blast uws for that.
Mostly everyone in general is approachable and friendly, therefore it would exists in UWS..no matter what the time is during the daytime. Enthusiasm just comes from the reason why lecturers are lecturers themselves in a particular field or subject and the mood their in for the day..afterall WORK is work..

yeah I agree, that the uni you go to for a POSTGRADUATE DEGREE MATTERS..BUT FOR A 1st year UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE..IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH university you go to..its ALL the same.

my love of organic chemistry was pretty much fostered by the way it was presented by lecturers (not textbooks) at usyd
A love for a major or topic should NOT COME from another person or from a lecturer, a love and passion from a subject should ONLY come from the inner person themselves either it be through their experiences in life or for what they admire in life the most. Therefore textbooks to study at UWS which come FROM USYD is the same as going to the USYD at undergraduate level and that the type of lecturer you have does NOT matter at that level

samaccount123

HSC
if you do not enjoy what you are studying or interested you are not going to learn!
Whatever..farout study is just like working in the corporate business world or wherever..mostly everyone doesn't want to work anyways.. and therefore work can also equal full time study as well or work = study and vice versa.

So if nobody mostly enjoys work, then its MORE likely most people wont enjoy studying because either it be full time or part time..study can and does = work and vice versa

lawstudent

HSC
location, lack of prestige, bad rep, percieved or not.

not all low entry marks mean bad courses my course had a low entry score yet is excellent but it is because the demand is low because noone wants to have a career in this field
You are missing the point here lol

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
samaccount...can i get your list of assumptions please?

maybe holding your list of assumptions, i might be able to decipher what exactly you are attempting to convey...

HSC
Every practical thing in life didn't come from a university course comprising of practical things, it all came from human common sense and through our daily life or experiences..e.g. the invention of glasses didn't come from university, it just came from the desire to see clearer in china..therefore chinese people invented the glasses and hence made the course "Optometry"..whatever..Therefore, no matter what practical or where you do your practical..its all the same elsewhere..True, you do have to go out and buy materials to DO the practical..but that can just come from buying them from a shop.

seriously WTF??
because people are totally going to go and do something that they dont enjoy....!

samaccount123

HSC
UTS isn't that hard to get into either
You peoples do know that cut-off's for every university use to be way lower than they are now, especially UTS..B Science at UTS use to be in the 60-65 range..in 2003/04 it was 66.5 or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)