what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Thats not so true..you can get the same degree elsewhere and if you want to go USYD..just register for their resources in the library so you can borrow their books (Its possible)..its the SAME thing as going to USYD..the books do all the talking, lecturers dont give a rats ass how you perform - self motivation is the king of all intellects not what someone else tries to teach you..and if you want to access USYD's Journals just asks a friend to share them by e-mail or by hardcopy..its not hard ROFL
The lecturers actually do care, they are very approachable and are leaders in their fields. This is why I chose Usyd, and it has lived up to my expectations.

Science is also not just based on books, there is a major practical component, and the tutors and people you interect with, as well as the facilities, make a big difference to enjoyment of a course.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yeh it's a bit fucking moronic to say the lecturers don't care. even my most hated biology lecturers have given a shit about their students. my love of organic chemistry was pretty much fostered by the way it was presented by lecturers (not textbooks) at usyd, and they way they were so approachable and friendly after the class, in the lab etc. chatting to the likes of jolliffe, rutledge, todd, payne, baker etc in the lab has always been a pleasure and they're great people.

having said as much, i have very little to go on. lecturers at unsw in chem were generally as friendly, approachable and as enthusiastic as they are at usyd. i think this is to be expected by any academic tbh. you don't get to be an academic unless you're truly fucking talented in your field, and unless you're pretty invested in your chosen area. whether they're at unsw, uws or usyd doesn't really matter in that regard. it might when you're doing a ph.d, but not for an undergraduate.

so yeah, i dont really think you can blast uws for that.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Yeah, I guess.

Still wonder what the average student is like there compared to Usyd. Shrug, guess you have all types everywhere.

stryd3r

HSC
I transfered from uws to unsw :> and my opinion is that uws isnt that bad but yeh it has room for improvement

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I guess.

Still wonder what the average student is like there compared to Usyd. Shrug, guess you have all types everywhere.
i reckon the average student would be a talentless hack who got a 57 uai who transferred in from tafe.:devil:

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
ok well uws parra, theres a majority of lebs and a variety of other ethnicities which i haven't experienced in my area or at maq. At maq, there was a majority of asians, indians and aussies and everyone doesn't talk like a westy or a leb.
ps i have nothing against westies or lebs.

In regards to the candidature, most have either come from tafe or got uais in the 60's.
oi bro ma mum is a leb n she went to macquarie n dad is a leb n he went to UTS.

HSC
that was my point!!. the city is over rated!
nah the city is the best :) i love the city!
must say i would much rather hang around the city than bankstown (which is where my course at uws is)

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
nah the city is the best :) i love the city!
must say i would much rather hang around the city than bankstown (which is where my course at uws is)
well at bankstown there is..... uhh.... kebab shop an airport and a bunnings!!!

i have had people tell me that they aren't thinking of UWS because it isn't in the city. sure after your lectures you can go and walk around or go take them sticker pictures that he azns in my maths class like to stick to their calculators, but you can do "fun stuff" at Macarthur. got to centro bankstown, they have a food court and a Hoyts. what is there to do at the city? walk?

HSC

i have had people tell me that they aren't thinking of UWS because it isn't in the city. sure after your lectures you can go and walk around or go take them sticker pictures that he azns in my maths class like to stick to their calculators, but you can do "fun stuff" at Macarthur. got to centro bankstown, they have a food court and a Hoyts. what is there to do at the city? walk?
ummm technically you'll be walking wherever you are.
for me i didnt chose the city universities because of the shops and all that in the city. i chose them because they had the best course for me and because of their reputation.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

Yeah, because there is no cinema, food court or shopping centre in the city...

HSC
I go to USYD, but im from Fairfield, so I am about as westie as you can get. UWS can perform in certain areas, such as medicine, or law.. because those subjects still have to maintain a high standard of entry. But honestly, its not the 'culture' that bothers me. Im not exactly in sinc, with the north shore kids that go to USYD.. but when i attended a language (Spanish) course, with my friends at UWS, i almost hit the floor. It was rediculously easy. It was just so.. reduced. I could understand though: the truth is they have to cater to their students, which, some got in with a 50 UAI.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
oi bro ma mum is a leb n she went to macquarie n dad is a leb n he went to UTS.
Doesn't explain why you're still a retard

You haven't convinced anyone, mate.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its really not as bad as people say and generally those who comment negatively about UWS on here:
1. Have yet to go to university (i.e. a HSC kid with no idea other than what they have heard others say)
2. Haven't been there (and go to another uni and think they are experts as a result)
3. Just like to cause trouble
4. Think prestige is the most important thing.
5. Are paroting something mummy, daddy, their boss has said which is based on assumptions

I have been there and let me say other than having to travel to multiple campus' as a double degree students it was pretty good. I think its law program is 100 times better than the one I am doing at MQ.

If you want a real idea of what the uni is like try it out, research or ask someone who has actually been there.

i keep hearing UWS works their students harder in order to push up their standards, but guess not..
This is actually true unlike most of the comments in the thread.

This nonsense about the courses being easier is stupid, generally university courses teach the same thing, occasionally it might be tailored but geez its not like its so much easier that you couldn't call it a university course.

I am sick of arguing with people who insist their assumptions are correct. A lot of people who have posted in this thread need to grow up, talking down UWS does not make your uni better.

Last edited:

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Its really not as bad as people say and generally those who comment negatively about UWS on here:
1. Have yet to go to university (i.e. a HSC kid with no idea other than what they have heard others say)
2. Haven't been there (and go to another uni and think they are experts as a result)
3. Just like to cause trouble
4. Think prestige is the most important thing.
5. Are paroting something mummy, daddy, their boss has said which is based on assumptions

I have been there and let me say other than having to travel to multiple campus' as a double degree students it was pretty good. I think its law program is 100 times better than the one I am doing at MQ.

If you want a real idea of what the uni is like try it out, research or ask someone who has actually been there.

This is actually true unlike most of the comments in the thread.

This nonsense about the courses being easier is stupid, generally university courses teach the same thing, occasionally it might be tailored but geez its not like its so much easier that you couldn't call it a university course.

I am sick of arguing with people who insist their assumptions are correct. A lot of people who have posted in this thread need to grow up, talking down UWS does not make your uni better.
whatever helps you sleep at night mate..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
whatever helps you sleep at night mate..
Dude, because I really care about what some bored posted on BOS said who probably know nothing about UWS, my comments were at least more constructive than"UWS is not a good unviersity. Pretty Simple...";)
After all at least I know my comments are based on my own experiences and I do actually think at least for law UWS is so much better than MQ. I only bother answering this question again and again not because I care what you think, but because I know kids choosing their university courses do, and frankly I don't want them to be misinformed. After all I have 1 year left out of a five year degree left, so none of this effects me.

But of course, being at uni for 4 years and spending a year at UWS means I am not as knowledgable as you

I know I am awesome :lol:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)