What is my estimated ATAR? (1 Viewer)

timmo34

HSC
Hey so I've been trying to figure out what my predicted ATAR is going to be. I've asked friends and have used a million calculators but all give different answers and some of them I'm not sure about. These are my estimated HSC marks and my internal rankings for each subject at my school:
  • English Advanced - 9th 85/100
  • English Ext 1 - 2nd 35/50
  • English Ext 2 - 3rd 25/50
  • Mathematics Standard - 1st 85/100
  • Legal Studies - 2nd 85/100
  • Economics - 2nd 80/100
Keep in mind that I am making very conservatives estimates on my marks. I feel like my math and legal studies marks could be higher than I expect them to be, but I don't want to get my hopes up. What ATAR do you guys think this can get me? I really don't know what courses I should be looking into because I don't know if I have a high enough ATAR for the ones I want to do.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It is important to note that additional information is required in order to maximise the accuracy of estimates that you might receive. In terms of how this applies to your post, it would be a good idea to include information such as your school rank, the number of band 6's/E4's achieved at your school in your respective subjects, as well as the size of the cohort of each of your subjects.

However, given that you have provided marks that you believe would be your HSC marks, I believe that you could be looking at an ATAR between 83 and 87. For the HSC exams that you have already completed, hopefully you end up achieving Examination Marks that are sufficiently high for you to achieve the HSC marks that you are contemplating, if not higher. Of course, those subjects are now behind you, and the only subject that you can still exert influence over with respect to your performance is Economics. It is therefore crucial that you maintain thorough preparations as you approach your Economics HSC exam (best of luck! 🙏), which will hopefully enable you to perform at a high standard, consequently increasing your chances of receiving a higher ATAR.

Regarding courses that you should apply for, you should consider courses with reasonable ATAR requirements, which will ensure that you can still attend university in the event that your ATAR ends up being lower than expected (hopefully this does not happen). At the same time, you should still have your desired course as your first preference in case you end up achieving the required ATAR.

What are your interests in terms of tertiary study? I believe that this could probably allow you to receive more specific advice in that regard.

I hope this helps! :D

timmo34

HSC
I was hoping to do law at either UTS or UNSW, but for what I’m see I’m around 5-10 points short of getting into that course. I heard you can transition into that course but I’m not sure how I’m meant to do that. If I don’t get into law straight away I would like to try and transfer after my first year of uni.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was hoping to do law at either UTS or UNSW, but for what I’m see I’m around 5-10 points short of getting into that course. I heard you can transition into that course but I’m not sure how I’m meant to do that. If I don’t get into law straight away I would like to try and transfer after my first year of uni.
There are two available options in case you end up not receiving an offer to either UTS's or UNSW's Bachelor of Laws:
  • Apply for a different course with a lower ATAR requirement at either UTS or UNSW - This will guarantee that you will be able to attend university, after which you can do your best to achieve the best possible results that will enable you to successfully transfer to the Bachelor of Laws at a later point in time.
  • Apply for a Bachelor of Laws at a different university - This is likely the better option because you are better off studying law at a different institution than studying another degree that you may not be interested in. Not only this, but you will be much more likely to receive credit for previous learning once you attempt to transfer to the Bachelor of Laws of either UTS or UNSW than you will if you were to study an unrelated degree. I would suggest having a look at the Bachelor of Laws at the following universities:
    • ACU's Bachelor of Laws is one of the easier programs to receive an offer for, given its much lower ATAR requirement of 75 compared to other universities. Your current position suggests that you would definitely be able to study law at ACU and potentially initiate a transfer later on.
    • WSU's Bachelor of Laws is slightly more difficult to receive an offer for. However, given that WSU applies up to 10 bonus points based on factors such as living in the Western Sydney region and favourable subject performance, this means that, provided you achieve an ATAR of at least 86, you will be able to receive an offer for this degree.

timmo34

HSC
There are two available options in case you end up not receiving an offer to either UTS's or UNSW's Bachelor of Laws:
  • Apply for a different course with a lower ATAR requirement at either UTS or UNSW - This will guarantee that you will be able to attend university, after which you can do your best to achieve the best possible results that will enable you to successfully transfer to the Bachelor of Laws at a later point in time.
  • Apply for a Bachelor of Laws at a different university - This is likely the better option because you are better off studying law at a different institution than studying another degree that you may not be interested in. Not only this, but you will be much more likely to receive credit for previous learning once you attempt to transfer to the Bachelor of Laws of either UTS or UNSW than you will if you were to study an unrelated degree. I would suggest having a look at the Bachelor of Laws at the following universities:
    • ACU's Bachelor of Laws is one of the easier programs to receive an offer for, given its much lower ATAR requirement of 75 compared to other universities. Your current position suggests that you would definitely be able to study law at ACU and potentially initiate a transfer later on.
    • WSU's Bachelor of Laws is slightly more difficult to receive an offer for. However, given that WSU applies up to 10 bonus points based on factors such as living in the Western Sydney region and favourable subject performance, this means that, provided you achieve an ATAR of at least 86, you will be able to receive an offer for this degree.
Thank you so much for the help. I had no idea what to do if I didn’t get into law. This helps a lot, hopefully I get in on the first round but if not at least I’ll be able to have a.plan for the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)