What if? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
What happens if I decide not to show up for my English paper 1 exam but I do to paper 2 exam?

unknown88

HSC
N/A
I am presuming you will get a a mark out of 105 but you are limited to 60/105. Even if you are sick you can NEVER redo the exams, they just give you average depending on your rank and whether you have a valid reason for being absent.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am presuming you will get a a mark out of 105 but you are limited to 60/105. Even if you are sick you can NEVER redo the exams, they just give you average depending on your rank and whether you have a valid reason for being absent.
You mean 60/100, right?

So, in actuality I will get a raw mark of 60% at most (So, I'll probably get 57%) and this will moderate up to like 70... meaning my internal will probably be around 79, leaving me with like 75 at most.
Therefore, I still get an exam mark and everything works out okay.

Good luck in paper 1 you guys. :p

Last edited:

AnnetteMelissa

HSC
You mean 60/100, right?
English is out of 105: 45 for AOS (15 for each section) and 60 for Modules, irrespective of whether or not it is Standard or Advanced. The Markers/Bored of Studies/etc. then scale this mark back down to 100 and do all the other scaling against the state, assessment mark, etc.
Hopefully that makes sense!
If I were you (and I'm not, so it's totally your decision - don't even listen to me!:)) BUT if it was me in that situation, I would still do Paper 1 and get a few things down onto the paper therefore getting at least a few marks. Trying to get 60/60 for Paper 2 is no mean feat, and you said that you would expect 57% - why not try and at least get 20/45 for AOS and maximise your marks even more? But anyway, that's just my two cents worth, and I wish you the very best for whatever you choose to do!

Sorry for any unsolicited adivce!
God Bless!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
English is out of 105: 45 for AOS (15 for each section) and 60 for Modules, irrespective of whether or not it is Standard or Advanced. The Markers/Bored of Studies/etc. then scale this mark back down to 100 and do all the other scaling against the state, assessment mark, etc.
Hopefully that makes sense!
If I were you (and I'm not, so it's totally your decision - don't even listen to me!:)) BUT if it was me in that situation, I would still do Paper 1 and get a few things down onto the paper therefore getting at least a few marks. Trying to get 60/60 for Paper 2 is no mean feat, and you said that you would expect 57% - why not try and at least get 20/45 for AOS and maximise your marks even more? But anyway, that's just my two cents worth, and I wish you the very best for whatever you choose to do!

Sorry for any unsolicited adivce!
God Bless!
No... The mark is out of 100... 40% coming from paper 1 and 60% from paper 2.
And the board of studies doesn't scale at all, they moderate and align marks.
The scaling against the state is done by UAC.

Thanks for the advice though. :)
I just wanted to know whether I wouldn't be given a mark for all of English or just that paper.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
You'd get classified as a non-attempt and get into loads of shit? I dunno... I have friends planning to skip the religion exam though

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You'd get classified as a non-attempt and get into loads of shit? I dunno... I have friends planning to skip the religion exam though
But would you? Because you could still do the other paper.
Yeah, some people at my school might try skipping religion.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
But would you? Because you could still do the other paper.
Yeah, some people at my school might try skipping religion.
no they'll base it on 2 factors (as long as you have a legit certificate etc.)
1) your school mark/rank etc.
2) how well you did in mods

classic story this guy at knox a couple of years ago was a standard kid, near the top of his cohort. he freaked out about paper 1, did not sit it. he did modules, aced it. still ended up getting a band 6 (which, as you know, is amazing in standard)

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
what happens (hypothetically) if I get hit by a car before my exams. Will I get my atar estimated? Or will I just fail for all of them?

Galladrim

HSC
Why on earth would you not turn up?

If you want to improve your English marks sitting the paper actually does help....

Paper one is fairly straight forward. Comprehension, Some Imaginative Writing, One Essay

It certainly won't hurt.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
no they'll base it on 2 factors (as long as you have a legit certificate etc.)
1) your school mark/rank etc.
2) how well you did in mods
classic story this guy at knox a couple of years ago was a standard kid, near the top of his cohort. he freaked out about paper 1, did not sit it. he did modules, aced it. still ended up getting a band 6 (which, as you know, is amazing in standard)
REALLY?!
HOW DOES THAT WORK?!
I'M DOING THIS!!!

why didn't they just drop it
Compulsory in some schools
This. They would've had to have done Catholic Studies (Non-ATAR) which is horrible... :/

Why on earth would you not turn up?
If you want to improve your English marks sitting the paper actually does help....
Paper one is fairly straight forward. Comprehension, Some Imaginative Writing, One Essay
It certainly won't hurt.
1. Paper 1 is marked by advanced people, meaning my essay will get MAXIMUM 10/15.
2. Shit at planning creatives so I write them on the spot and sometimes they are genius, but under stress I'm not too sure.
3. If I don't do it I might get estimated from Paper 2, which I will do really well in as it is Standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)