• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What if I didn't do Maths (Science subjects only) in High school? (1 Viewer)

kennychan222

HSC
I will receive UAC course offers on next Thursday. I want to ask everyone what if I didn't do Mathematics in high school course but I studied all sciences subjects including Physics, Biology and Chemsitry in high school and 0.5 years attendence of a pure Mathematics course (Belonged to Bachelor of Computing) at an university in Hong Kong?

My course preferences are all science and my UAI is higher than the cut-offs

Last edited:

Metric

HSC
N/A
It does depend on what you plan to major in, but I think that you should be fine. If not, you can always enroll in a bridging course to get up to speed with the math skills you need.

However, I would check with the university for a reliable answer.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm 3rd year Enviro Sci, and it requires only rudimentary maths. It depends on your major.

My studies are mainly Geology, biology and Social Science units. The hardest maths in any of them is basic statistics. Anova and Tukey test is as hard as it gets. You get a shedload of assistance for this.

I did first year chem, didn't understand it by half, but the maths was not a problem.

I got 80 something in general maths, so I know nothing.

Physics I don't know.

What's your major?

kennychan222

HSC
Well, My intended major subjects is Environmental Health...You know I will get offers next Thursday so that I can see Whether My intended course (B Applied science - Environmental Health) can be made offer for me. Generally, my intended major subjects are Biology and Chemistry.

But its "Assumed knowledge is Maths and Sciences".

Hey, I've just found this information from UAC about UWS...it says

"If you do not have the assumed knowledge indicated in a course description you are still eligible to apply for that course. UWS runs a number of bridging courses in February each year before the start of semester. Course materials are included with the bridging courses or may be purchased throughout the year."

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I did some environmental health subjects at UWS (because I did environmental management); from basic memory without looking at the outlines, the really science subjects you need some basic maths, whilst the humanities side are mostly law subjects, which have no maths.

Its all sciencey maths for the course anyway, I guess you should be fine. If not, email each of the unit co-ordinators (if your accepted); after you enrol and ask them what the maths is like. Must of the lecturers are really good, they'll be able to help you :)

kennychan222

HSC
I will be fine...As I've passed English Proficiency, an overseas studies which has been converted to UAI that is required for my courses and have a professional exam for increasing selection competitiveness (ABRSM grade 8 ) :)

So, I have to wait until offers. And then I will ask lecturers what Maths subjects I should do.

MystidPurple

HSC
Does anyone know how much maths is needed for the Bachelor of Science (Forensic Science) for someone just coming out of Yr 12??? Like general Maths or 2U???

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
MystidPurple said:
Does anyone know how much maths is needed for the Bachelor of Science (Forensic Science) for someone just coming out of Yr 12??? Like general Maths or 2U???
2U or physics has been personally reccommended by the head of program. But no specific level of maths is needed, their will be bridging courses held for those going to do maths or physics units in B.Sc(Forensics)

MystidPurple

HSC
Cool thanks. I'm doing 2U but mostly failing, was wondering if it would hurt my chances if i droped down.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
MystidPurple said:
Cool thanks. I'm doing 2U but mostly failing, was wondering if it would hurt my chances if i droped down.
Nope, their are no prerequisites and they only look at your uai for admission.

krisspy

HSC
I dont think there are prequisites for courses. My suggestion, if you failing maths is going to get you below the cut-off switch to general but if its recommended for the course i would stay with it otherwise youd have to do briding and change units like i did. I did general and now I had to drop my core maths subject for a lower version now but half of the lower maths was taught to me in the bridging course so im attending lectures of the core maths subject while the lower maths teaches year 10 stuff. Probly go back in 3-4 weeks. Wonder if the lecturers would get sus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)