What happens if you don't get a ATAR that can get you into any UNI? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Do you have to go to TAFE and get into UNI from there or are you over educational wise?
Does that mean you have to work as a garbage collector or something or not work at all?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't forget: a garbo (Nathan Rees) became premier of NSW a few years ago.

Last edited:

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Bit misleading though. He was a garbo while doing a honours degree in English Lit at USYD.

Anyway, you would be surprised by how many respectable career paths do not require a bachelor degree. TAFE or any other community college is always a solid option despite the stigma.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Of course I was indulging in a little bit of selective disclosure; but all said in jest.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
He didn't really last as long as other premiers tho :tongue2:

As for working as a garbo, no, you can always use tafe or some other business course to get into uni, it all works, just might take you an extra year and more effort, plus waste of $$

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Actually I was trying to tell @op not doing well in the HSC is not the end of the road. Not everyone is cut out to study. Also unlike > 50 years ago, having a degree means nothing these days. Everyone has a piece of paper - so it has lost its value. Unlike in Asia where lack of a piece of paper qualification could seriously doom your prospects - in Australia you have no such problems. What papers do Kyle S or Jackie O have? I don't know. But they are stars - they are a big success. This is oz - the land of possibility. If you can make a great laksa, maybe you can become quite rich in no time. Success in the HSC only reflects academic ability. There are so many other abilities that can propel you - as long as you are not lazy.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I was trying to tell @op not doing well in the HSC is not the end of the road. Not everyone is cut out to study. Also unlike > 50 years ago, having a degree means nothing these days. Everyone has a piece of paper - so it has lost its value. Unlike in Asia where lack of a piece of paper qualification could seriously doom your prospects - in Australia you have no such problems. What papers do Kyle S or Jackie O have? I don't know. But they are stars - they are a big success. This is oz - the land of possibility. If you can make a great laksa, you can become quite rich in no time.
That is true, but not everyone can be successful like a select few and become big stars, it's a mixed effort of hard work plus luck on your side.

Because the "piece of paper" is so common these days, you kind of need it do well in life, but obviously there are other professions/means of livelihood and the occasional star that comes up with nothing behind them, but as I said you need luck on your side too.

Also I agree with that "piece of paper qualification" which is required in Asia, you dont have much prospects there without it.

funnytomato

HSC
That is true, but not everyone can be successful like a select few and become big stars, it's a mixed effort of hard work plus luck on your side.

Because the "piece of paper" is so common these days, you kind of need it do well in life, but obviously there are other professions/means of livelihood and the occasional star that comes up with nothing behind them, but as I said you need luck on your side too.

Also I agree with that "piece of paper qualification" which is required in Asia, you dont have much prospects there without it.
go and get a "law degree" for $10

kill3r_8ball

HSC
There are other ways to get in, pretty sure you wont become a garbage man.......... but it does pay well

LonelyWolf

HSC
you can either go to tafe, a private college to transfer to uni after a year, UTS Insearch and i believe macquarie has a program. ATAR doesn't mean everything, its not the only way to get into uni, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.

ahdil33

HSC
Epic Fail.

It's a shame students are indoctrinated to think they need to get a good ATAR, or need a uni degree, to go far in life, otherwise you're some garbage collector. Are you serious? some sort of steroetypical epic fail thinking. these are the same people who think doctors and lawyers earn the most money.

ATAR don't matter much at all lol. you don't need to have some special skill, like be a sportsman or a singer or whatever.

everyone has potential lol, you can do whatever the hell you want, somehow.

Last edited:
HSC
I'm not a "troll." I am just a Year 10 student who wants to know, and yes I have met people who told me that if you can't go to UNI, then you like can't get a job.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Epic Fail.

It's a shame students are indoctrinated to think they need to get a good ATAR, or need a uni degree, to go far in life, otherwise you're some garbage collector. Are you serious? some sort of steroetypical epic fail thinking. these are the same people who think doctors and lawyers earn the most money.

ATAR don't matter much at all lol. you don't need to have some special skill, like be a sportsman or a singer or whatever.

everyone has potential lol, you can do whatever the hell you want, somehow.

K

khorne

I believe you are all wrong...I heard that the UAC rounds up all those who don't get into uni because of their ATARs in a truck and liquifies them, freezing the liquid remains to make an ice cream aimed at dogs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)