Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but he was always bad

• No, but he hasn't needed to.

• Total voters

Lentern

HSC
There is a line or sentiment that seems to be floating around which basically goes something like "You've changed Kevin, you used to be about the working families." This is obviously in light of his polling nosedive but I would suggest that this has less to do with a change in his style as opposed to a lack thereof.

If you got people to list their top five criticisms of Rudd; these lists would I suspect include a lot of "He lacks conviction" "He's too obsessed with popularity" "He doesn't get anything done." With the exception of the internet filter which is just perplexing politics, the major complaints aren't really about differences to Kevin 07. On the environment which people cite as the classic example of his gutlessness, Rudd was never a hero. Aside from Peter Garrett's short and jocular conversation, the ALP basically promised a continuity of Howard government approaches to the environment and the Green movement were livid about it. I remember in particular a Chaser mock Midnight Oil song accusing Garrett of selling out, a sentiment Bob Brown was echoing at every opportunity.

On the economy Rudd showed even less conviction, he ran away from Latham's criticism of private schooling and income tax cuts for the rich, instead telling anyone who'd listen that he was an economic conservative. Again a specific example I recall was Peter Costello making fun of the labor budger proposal which had a ten point, describing 9 points as copy the coalitions budget and the tenth point as changing the tax brackets which Kevin Rudd doesn't even know.

He came out strongly against workchoices I suppose but even still he distanced himself from Beazleys promise to "Rip up these laws" saying he'd review and amend them. During the Northern Territory Intervention the left blew up and Rudd stay silent, when Philip Ruddock ignored the federal courts ruling and ordered the detention of Mohammad Haneef Rudd refused to comment. My sister actually wrote to him about that issue and got a reply which basically said that "As we don't have all the facts that the government and the federal police have we feel it would be inappropriate to comment but we are monitoring the situation very closely".

The academic/weirdo style of rhetoric was also out and about. There is footage on youtube from the 2007 election campaign where he said on the 7:30 report, and I quote "He's gone whacko the diddlio and suddenly where over the line on that one." To again borrow a chaser reference when they were parodying the "No Gary No" nicotine ads they described Rudd as "A smug media slut".

Three years later, I would suggest, his popularity has collapsed because ultimately people wanted to know he was "safe" a few years ago and were willing to let him prove his "safeness". Having proved it some time ago they now want to know some positives instead of absence of negatives and he just keeps trying to play it safe. He also doesn't have a big scary, nasty right wing government to be the alternative to now and that was always going to lead to a growth in the Greens stature.

HSC
ugh he hasnt changed he was always shit why couldnt you people see this

if libs had won, we would be fucken sweet now with costello perhaps turnbull as pm

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
I think part of it is the way his personality is perceived.

In 07 he came across as a well intentioned dork.

Today he is seen more as as an arrogant, erratic tempered, power hungry narcissist.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't think his ideological stance has changed one iota. Id est: he's been shit all along. One need only look at how long he's been pushing internet censorship for to see that.

HSC
N/A
hostile senate meant that the promises he did want to carry through on ultimately failed - mainly the ETS. other than that, i think a whole lot of it is how how personality is perceieved. he hasn't changed, but the context of his personality has changed. i'm thinking workchoices and the crusty, old john howard here.

a lot of it is mystifying to me though.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Same as always. Failure of spin.

Garygaz

HSC
i'm just so depressed thinking i could see the bible hugging tony at the helm of our nation

Lentern

HSC
I'm curious, those who voted he has changed, how so? I can certainly see how in 2007 he created the expectation for what he would be in 2010 and failed to meet that expectation, but how has he changed? I'd say he is still trying to create positive expectations for the future "Budget in Surplus in three years" "CPRS in a few years" "The laptops are coming" "High speed broadband will be delivered in our next term" blah blah blah. That was the same kind of promising that was coming from him in 2007? Again it seems to me that once in government people hear the promises and sort of think "Well why don't you just move on them now, you are the government after all."

Existential

HSC
N/A
I'm curious, those who voted he has changed, how so? I can certainly see how in 2007 he created the expectation for what he would be in 2010 and failed to meet that expectation, but how has he changed? I'd say he is still trying to create positive expectations for the future "Budget in Surplus in three years" "CPRS in a few years" "The laptops are coming" "High speed broadband will be delivered in our next term" blah blah blah. That was the same kind of promising that was coming from him in 2007? Again it seems to me that once in government people hear the promises and sort of think "Well why don't you just move on them now, you are the government after all."
its difficult to answer the question because "changed" has many meanings and forms.

mr. rudd hasn't got the same "image" (as of now) as he did in the kevin07 days.

but he hasn't changed his political position of his promises - his problems rooted from the delivery of them.

Stevemotto

HSC
Like all prime ministers, Kevin Rudd is just another one of those big shit talkers that don't actually do what they have said on their election speech..... Kevin Rudd's going down my friend.

Toranilor

HSC
IMO Kevin Rudd is someone with (occasionally) good intentions who couln't get something new past parliament to save his life. His previously poisitive public opinion had crumbled underneath his revealed inaction, as well as his seemingly abhorrent character. Sadly, Rudd has such competence at public swindling and media pandering that his approval rating is much higher than it would be for some less media-savvy but just as useless minister.

His relative obscurity (I had seen him once prior to his challenge) allowed him to gain steam on false promises and big words, as the public assumed the real Kevin Rudd was the facade that he presented.

Abott's not much better either. He may have the backbone to get his legislature through parliament, but I'd hardly want him to lead the country.

If only Turnbull were still around...

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
The reason Abbott as PM is a possibility is because you cunts all fucked up in 2007.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)