What do you think of Indonesian Drug Laws? (1 Viewer)

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
its already been said, but: if you can't handle their laws, DONT GO TO THEIR COUNTRY. it's really not that hard. And if you're dumb enough to take drugs in Indonesia (hell, if you're stupid enough to take them anywhere) then you deserve what you get, imo.
Doesn't stop their system being primitive and draconian?

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think people treat these laws as we treat our laws.

A law here is more about prosecuting someone to obtain justice, but over there, a lot of a law's purpose is to scare people and a preventative method.

I've always wanted to know how effective the scare tactic is in terms of statistics, but I've never gotten around to looking- anyone have any facts?

That being said, when we were flying to Japan, our teacher felt compelled to remind us that drug laws there mean huge punishments, huger if you're foreign.

The drug laws are tough, yes, but the slime that sell drugs to kids (dealing getting a larger sentence) and destroy their lives really should be in gaol.
Well doesnt goal scare you ?
i see what you mean- but most people avoid crime because they see it as wrong anyway. Ive heard that capital punishment has proven effective- its easier to be scared of the law when you see people suffering for their wrong doings, but i dont have any proof for it.

Edit: you raised this point: Prevention or rehabilitation!
one prevents newie's getting into it, whilst punishing those already in- the other is different. So you need both- one set of punishments for those who spread the drugs, and one set of rules for people messed up by it all.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

mr EaZy said:
Well doesnt goal scare you ?
Of course it does. But, I would never be caught with drugs. If you're going to raise the 'what if they're innocent?' point, create a thread about that, not the drug laws themselves.

i see what you mean- but most people avoid crime because they see it as wrong anyway.
No they don't. By the time you've become a drug dealer, you've experienced the life of crime and really have erroded morals.

Edit: you raised this point: Prevention or rehabilitation!
one prevents newie's getting into it, whilst punishing those already in- the other is different. So you need both- one set of punishments for those who spread the drugs, and one set of rules for people messed up by it all
Again, that's why I like the differentiation of Indonesia's dealing vs possessing laws. I think once you're at the point of dealing drugs, rehabilitation is just an idyllic notion.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Indonesian drug laws aint bad but Thailand has better, the army boys personally kick drug smuggler butt. Australia's drug laws are so soft that next to no-one takes them seriously...

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Funny, I just read an article about the drug laws in Indonesia, and this topic came up.

If my memory serves me correctly (Iron Chef pun not intended), from that article, these are some of the punishments in relations to drugs:

1. Ecstacy: 2-15 years in gaol for possession, death for trafficking
2. Marijuana: 20 or so years for possession (I may be wrong here), death for trafficking;
3. forgot what the other one is... but again, death for trafficking, and around 10-20 years for possession.

Btw, topic creator, why are we limiting ourselves to Indonesian Drug Laws? You should research other countries' laws in the region, and you'll be surprised.

X

xeuyrawp

Wesnat said:
Btw, topic creator, why are we limiting ourselves to Indonesian Drug Laws? You should research other countries' laws in the region, and you'll be surprised.
Tough drug laws are usually big in Islamic (nb: not just Muslim) and Asian countries in general.

Malaysia, an Asian and moderately Islamic country has tough laws- the Phillipines, only Asian has pretty tough laws, and Egypt, an Islamic country, has tough laws.

I don't know the point I was making, but I think it was something along the lines of different imbedded social values...

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Exactly, PwarYuex. Laws define values (or is it the other way around..? Argh, can't think at the moment). What we see as draconian isn't so in the eyes of other people, so jumping to conclusions about these things is just naive.

Btw, anyone watched Hypothetical on Sunday Program? Geoffrey Robertson's a legend. Certainly one of the people whom I'll invite to dinner if I can. :p

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Wesnat said:
Exactly, PwarYuex. Laws define values (or is it the other way around..? Argh, can't think at the moment). What we see as draconian isn't so in the eyes of other people, so jumping to conclusions about these things is just naive.

Btw, anyone watched Hypothetical on Sunday Program? Geoffrey Robertson's a legend. Certainly one of the people whom I'll invite to dinner if I can. :p
Values define laws. We value life- killing is illegal.

Yes, I watched his show on the sunday program- god he's sharp. He was cool on Denton's show, too, but Denton's got the interviewing style of a 7 news reporter :(

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
PwarYuex said:
No they don't. By the time you've become a drug dealer, you've experienced the life of crime and really have erroded morals.

When i said " most people avoid crime because they see it as wrong anyway"
i was referring to the objective reasonable person, which more or less people like you and me! :rolleyes:

X

xeuyrawp

mr EaZy said:
When i said " most people avoid crime because they see it as wrong anyway"
i was referring to the objective reasonable person, which more or less people like you and me! :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, the law's really not about reasonable people.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
soha said:
first of all what does sif mean?

i think the laws are good and they should be strict all around the world
sif is short for 'As if' like in 'As if they'd allow that' can be shortened to 'sif' or 'sifin''

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i think they are great should be made more strict:
one gram of marijuana found = death penatly---nice..

lawforever

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Values define laws. We value life- killing is illegal.
According to your point, there shouldn't be any death penalty in the world.

The main purpose of legal penalty is to send signals to everyone about how unacceptable this crime is to the society. So I guess the reason why lota asian countries have death sentence for drug offences is very simple. Drug has been causing very serious problems in the local society and laws of heavy punishment is extremely necessary to scare everyone from becoming a drug criminals.

This is quite understandable and Australians (ppl from a nation with good education and respect, I suppose) should respect their laws and give warning to its citizens who travels to the countries with harsh laws abt drug.

Last edited:

rcandelori

lawforever said:
PwarYuex said:
Values define laws. We value life- killing is illegal. QUOTE]

According to your point, there shouldn't be any death penalty in the world.

The main purpose of legal penalty is to send signals to everyone about how unacceptable this crime is to the society. So I guess the reason why lota asian countries have death sentence for drug offences is very simple. Drug has been causing very serious problems in the local society and laws of heavy punishment is extremely necessary to scare everyone from becoming a drug criminals.

This is quite understandable and Australians (ppl from a nation with good education and respect, I suppose) should respect their laws and give warning to its citizens who travels to the countries with harsh laws abt drug.
What silly blather are you uttering? If the death penalty actually served as a deterrant then there wouldn't be a rampant drug problem in Asian countries. Clearly there is, which makes the death penalty not only immaterial, but immoral and pathetic.

lawforever

HSC
if there is no death penalty, drug problems will be more rampant.

that z how simple the reasoning is.

rcandelori

lawforever said:
if there is no death penalty, drug problems will be more rampant.

that z how simple the reasoning is.
derrrrrr...... of course your reasoning is simple which is why I have argued that the death penalty is flawed. There is no identifiable link between the death penalty and subsequently reduced drug problems. The problem is ever rampant now and ridding Asia of the death penalty will do little to increase/decrease drug problems because people turn to drugs because of other underlying social problems such as poverty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)