What do you feel when you drop a subject? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What kind of thought came across your mind when you dropped a subject?

Today, I dropped Chemistry and the sudden feeling that came across my mind was a deep dissapointment in myself as a student. My teacher simply concluded writing out the signature by saying that it is simply a disaster. But I was actually surprised when he wrote "good student" on the comment section despite my lack of attention and contribution in class.

I basically spent the whole class simply looking down the floor...and I felt sorry for my awesome Chemistry teacher and sorry for dropping out of the subject despite his great teaching and help he provided...

I have been waiting for today to drop out of that subject for the last few terms...but when I came to face the moment, it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be...

This feeling got worse when my parents made a comment that they are dissapointed in me for being "weak" enough to drop what I have initially started.

So what was your feeling when you were allowed to be dismissed from the course?

ShaunaJean

HSC
I felt really bad, I dropped modern and ancient history. My ancient teacher didn't care, but my modern teacher thought I had so much potential for the subject.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
my SOR teacher said i had potential for the subject (~78ish%). meh, it was fuckin boring

Maths Ext = EPIC FAILURE. so i/m happy i'm going to 2u next week.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
It's the worst feeling in the world. It's like sacrificing one of your children in order to feed the others.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it wasn't bad, my teacher didn't mind at all even though he thought i was going to continue.
and now i get freeees

adnan91

HSC
Never better. Eco=BORING but i said to myself study once for eco and see how u go 61/70 so i dropped

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
relieved. and elated. very elated. especially when i think about how much i'll enjoy what i'm taking up instead.

WOOO FUCK ECONOMICS.

bored of sc

HSC
Elated but slightly regretful.

Elation: more study time and chose the more challenging subject to keep.

Regretful: I was going well in the subject (coming 1st) but chose the harder subject over it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Elated but slightly regretful.

Elation: more study time and chose the more challenging subject to keep.

Regretful: I was going well in the subject (coming 1st) but chose the harder subject over it.
Fair enough. My friend chose harder subject - 4 Unit Mathematics over Legal Studies where he was comfortably topping.

Just.Snaz

HSC
When I dropped Legal, my teacher wouldn't let me LOL. Took me a while to get him to actually sign it but then he kept a grudge against me ever since. Possibly because I was coming first. I was however heaps happy when I finally dropped it.. free periods and a lighter bag! yayyy =]

swakeford91

HSC
I felt relieved when i dropped modern history. My teacher was sad to loose a student because he feels that he has gone wrong somewhere when he looses students so i felt bad in that sense but i reassured him that it wasnt his fault just the fact that i wasnt able to keep up in yr 11 so im deffinately not going to keep up in yr 12. My teacher likes to work us as hard as possible from the beginning. So thats why i felt relieved. =]

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
swakeford91 said:
I felt relieved when i dropped modern history. My teacher was sad to loose a student because he feels that he has gone wrong somewhere when he looses students so i felt bad in that sense but i reassured him that it wasnt his fault just the fact that i wasnt able to keep up in yr 11 so im deffinately not going to keep up in yr 12. My teacher likes to work us as hard as possible from the beginning. So thats why i felt relieved. =]
Spot-on!!! That's exactly my situation. I was like "You are the best Science teacher I had but it's just that I don't hold any love for Chemistry anymore...blah blah blah..."

Departing from that class felt like graduating from school....all the emotions....sadness, joy followed by tears...lol

Freckles14

HSC
My Ancient History teacher practically cried when I told her I was dropping it... that was at the beginning of term and since then she's tried to convince me to keep it with various ploys as if I was breaking up with her. :| :|

I really hated Ancient - I had to take it 'cause of timetable clashes - so it was like a weight off my shoulders (and nine periods a fortnight off my timetable!). I was kinda sorry to leave the class (nobody's going to answer questions in that class now, plus I was doing well in it) but then I realised that ANCIENT WOULD BE GONE. FOREVER!!! No more groaning when I see it on the timetable, no more handwritten, 2000-word essays, no more sitting through two hours of pointless busy-work in total silence.

Namu, I don't think you should feel disappointed in yourself. Just ask yourself "Will Chem pop up at any point in my future?". Were you actually interested in Chem? It's not "weak" to drop something that won't help you or you have no interest in - it's good future planning, because it's harder to study for something you don't like and that would hinder your preparation. See? Makes perfect sense. So don't feel bad.

Wow this is practically half an essay. Sorry, I just like writing so I keep going once I've started :)

HSC
N/A
i felt so happy when i handed in my sub selection form to drop physics. even tho i still have to attend physics classes til week four, it feels great in class

but yeh there is a tinge of disappointment knowing that if i had put in time and effort it would have been different

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I just hope that I don't regret dropping Economics. It was one of my best subjects and I was always actively listening and researching extra information (e.g. interest rates, the current recession etc.) on it. My teacher gave me second thoughts on whether I should drop or not because I was one of his best students. But I did, and I better use my time effectively with my 3 sciences.

swakeford91

HSC
lyounamu said:
Spot-on!!! That's exactly my situation. I was like "You are the best Science teacher I had but it's just that I don't hold any love for Chemistry anymore...blah blah blah..."

Departing from that class felt like graduating from school....all the emotions....sadness, joy followed by tears...lol
Yeah my teacher was awesome and yeah... but now thinking back on it are you happy you dropped it??

I have a friend who felt she did the wrong thing in dropping her subject but she had to drop it because she hadnt learnt anything all year because the teacher contradicted himself soooooo much...

hairspray

HSC
I'm gonna be soooo relieved when i get to drop community and family studies in week 5! I told my class teachers that i was going to drop it.

One teacher was really supportive and the other teacher just got really angry and blocked me out for the rest of the lesson. When i tried asking her a question she was like "you're not even going to do this subject so you don't need to know"

><''

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)