What do u think of my subjects? (1 Viewer)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Not great subjects scaling-wise (and I know you said you don't care about it, but it matters), and you will have zero chance of getting an ATAR of 97, especially if you decide to pick up Art or whatever you were thinking of changing to. Like youngminii said, unless you come first in the State in multiple subjects theres not much hope.

But on a more positive note, make sure you pick subjects you like, because the HSC will be so much more painful for you if you listen to people like me and pick subjects that scale well, but you do not enjoy.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
OK so I start prelim next year and I rekon these subjects look gud. Don't really care about scaling, atr my school they tell us no to look at that. Anyways, I chose:

English Standard
General Maths
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Senior Science
Hospitality

Might wanna swap Maths or Legal for DT/ or Visual Arts/ or a VET Course. Not sure yet. :music:

Whats ancient like?

Aiming for ATAR 96- 97.5
even after noting that you "dont really care about scaling", i still recommend you seriously take some higher scaling subjects like phy, eco, or advanced maths atleast. No harm in trying, you can always drop back to general.

Last edited:

ptrgrgry

HSC
even after noting that you "dont really care about scaling", i still recommend you seriously take some higher scaling subjects like phy, eco, or advanced maths atleast. No harm in trying, you can always drop back to general.
Ok... well what bout:

English Standard
General Maths
Business Studies
Design and Technology
Senior Science
Hospitality
CAFS

Do they scale higher? Dos scaling even matter tho? I mean if I go well enough scaling wont mean anything even tho its not smart people subjects like ecomonics or chemistry right?

I mean why would i do advanced english when you can just do standardand get the same ATAR?

Last edited:

ptrgrgry

HSC
I have 14 units coz hospo is outside the timetable and im not sure what ill likeor if business studies will be to hard nd stuff.
Maths is gross, maybs i sholdn do taht. Can u get bout ATAR of 97 without maths tho.

HSC
ok so looking at your first and second set of subjects.
you replaced legal with DT. personally, i wouldnt do that. DT can be very stressful in year 12 with your major work. i know most of the guys in my grade had most if not all of last week off finishing their major work. however, if you dont like essays do not choose legal. legal is extremly interesting though. it gets alot better in the hsc year.

cafs doesnt scale well. but if you get a band 6 (which isnt hard cos its dead easy) you'll be fine. and its very interesting also.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I have 14 units coz hospo is outside the timetable and im not sure what ill likeor if business studies will be to hard nd stuff.
Maths is gross, maybs i sholdn do taht. Can u get bout ATAR of 97 without maths tho.
you can get a 99.95 ATAR NO MATTER what you choose
the BOS has developed the system in such manner where subject choices have the least influence on your ATAR.
but still, getting a high atar with low scaling subjects is far more strenuous.
if you choose low scaling subjects, you have to be POSITIVE that you ace them.
anything less, can ruin your expectations.
so if your definite you can do so, then certainly go ahead with your choices.

i recommend choosing subjects based on the probability of you acing them. nothing more.
good luck!

Official

Bring it on
HSC
True, however I thought I heard of some subject combinations that do not allow you to get max marks despite getting top marks in state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
True, however I thought I heard of some subject combinations that do not allow you to get max marks despite getting top marks in state. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, some subjects are capped.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Not really, some people might choose subjects for the sake of them being a lot easier than others, meaning it wouldn't be fair for the people who chose the harder ones.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
wow really?
but isnt that unfair?
Not really.

I don't mean to sound arrogant etc etc, but have you actually been in a general maths class and seen what their tests are like? They're pretty much a joke, so even coming 1st in the state and getting 100 for general doesn't equal getting a 95 in 2U maths because the level of work and intelligence required is less. That's why subjects like general maths has crap scaling XD

With that being said, if you do extremely well in any subject scaling has less of an impact on your ATAR/UAI.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Not really.

I don't mean to sound arrogant etc etc, but have you actually been in a general maths class and seen what their tests are like? They're pretty much a joke, so even coming 1st in the state and getting 100 for general doesn't equal getting a 95 in 2U maths because the level of work and intelligence required is less. That's why subjects like general maths has crap scaling XD

With that being said, if you do extremely well in any subject scaling has less of an impact on your ATAR/UAI.
Hehe, nicely put. Besides, after all scaling is not all that matters as the amount of time and work you decide to dedicate to a subject will get you the marks you need. It is just that some subjects require less of this dedication and hence, the reason for scaling.

ihatehsc123

HSC
to be honest i think ur gna struggle to get a 96 + uai
you'd have to do very well in your subs mate.

HSC
hehe, nicely put. Besides, after all scaling is not all that matters as the amount of time and work you decide to dedicate to a subject will get you the marks you need. It is just that some subjects require less of this dedication and hence, the reason for scaling.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)