What do I do? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing 12 units, now I explained to my parents what happens in the HSC, that when they calculate your mark, they chose your top 10 units and the last 2 unit subject doesn't count.

I told her I was thinking of dropping Chemistry, and her face automatically changes to a angry face. She told me that Chemistry is a high scaler and you can get good marks it and I was trying to tell here that with any subject selection you can get any atar, but there was no use. What do I do?

zhertec

HSC
What are your other subjects?
Are you doing well in chemistry?
Do you overall enjoy the subject?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I'm currently doing 12 units, now I explained to my parents what happens in the HSC, that when they calculate your mark, they chose your top 10 units and the last 2 unit subject doesn't count.

I told her I was thinking of dropping Chemistry, and her face automatically changes to a angry face. She told me that Chemistry is a high scaler and you can get good marks it and I was trying to tell here that with any subject selection you can get any atar, but there was no use. What do I do?
Tell her that high scaling subjects work only work when you can do well in them, if not then they're not much used to you

swagmeister

HSC
I had a similair situation for software. Can you give me your subjects, marks and ranks in y11 as well as your school rank and then I can help think through reasons and how you could explain it to your parents.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What are your other subjects?
Are you doing well in chemistry?
Do you overall enjoy the subject?
I'm 2U and 3U Maths, Advanced English, Biology, IPT, Arabic continuers, and Chemistry, well I do "like" the subject, but I though that it'll save me alot of time when the HSC comes.

Tell her that high scaling subjects work only work when you can do well in them, if not then they're not much used to you
At what mark will a high scaling subject be no use?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
At what mark will a high scaling subject be no use?
i had a teacher at my school that always said
'zero always scales to zero'

its not like your gonna get zero, but scaling still depends on the rankings.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I had a similair situation for software. Can you give me your subjects, marks and ranks in y11 as well as your school rank and then I can help think through reasons and how you could explain it to your parents.
I mentioned my subjects in a different quote, but I did above average in all subjects except, IPT, Biology, Arabic and maybe 2 Unit Maths, but that was in year 11, it's gonna be a different story for Year 12.

swagmeister

HSC
I mentioned my subjects in a different quote, but I did above average in all subjects except, IPT, Biology, Arabic and maybe 2 Unit Maths, but that was in year 11, it's gonna be a different story for Year 12.
Yeah ok. What I would say is:

-Try to see it from your parents point of view. If you can show them that you understand their opinion and have listened to them without interrupting, they are more likely to be open to negotiation
-it sounds like you did above average in chemistry then, while not above average is some of your others subjects, if this is going to change in year 12 that's fine but my advice would be drop the subject you are least passionate about. If you really enjoy Chem then the time won't be that bad because it's not that much of an issue if you are passionate about it. But if you don't really enjoy it then you need to tell your parents that by doing subjects you enjoy more you will be much more likely to do better as spending the time and effort studying will seem easier to you
-also tell your parents that the scaling doesn't make that that much of a difference (except for like gm vs m. ex2 ) so if you got mark x in subject a, that would be better then getting a much lower mark of y in subject b. Head to an ATAR calculator and play around with this, use specific examples
-Also from your below average grades in your other subjects, while you do say things are going to change in year 12 and they will it can be hard for your parents to believe that so you may need to say this is what I want to change and this is how I will do it...
-With me, I convinced my parents I should drop SDD while I was rank 1 in it in order to bring up my english mark in it through having that detailed knowledge of atar/scaling/units/raw marks/importance of balance etc. which helped significantly and using specific examples of how marks would compare using an ATAR calculator as well as percentiles and how easy it would be for me to get certain marks. I also emphasised that all the time throughout the whole entire year I spent on SDD could be spent on English, which is heaps of time
-If nothing is working, speak to your school 'careers adviser' if you have one or even teachers and get them to talk to your parents about it

Hope this helps!

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yeah ok. What I would say is:

-Try to see it from your parents point of view. If you can show them that you understand their opinion and have listened to them without interrupting, they are more likely to be open to negotiation
-it sounds like you did above average in chemistry then, while not above average is some of your others subjects, if this is going to change in year 12 that's fine but my advice would be drop the subject you are least passionate about. If you really enjoy Chem then the time won't be that bad because it's not that much of an issue if you are passionate about it. But if you don't really enjoy it then you need to tell your parents that by doing subjects you enjoy more you will be much more likely to do better as spending the time and effort studying will seem easier to you
-also tell your parents that the scaling doesn't make that that much of a difference (except for like gm vs m. ex2 ) so if you got mark x in subject a, that would be better then getting a much lower mark of y in subject b. Head to an ATAR calculator and play around with this, use specific examples
-Also from your below average grades in your other subjects, while you do say things are going to change in year 12 and they will it can be hard for your parents to believe that so you may need to say this is what I want to change and this is how I will do it...
-With me, I convinced my parents I should drop SDD while I was rank 1 in it in order to bring up my english mark in it through having that detailed knowledge of atar/scaling/units/raw marks/importance of balance etc. which helped significantly and using specific examples of how marks would compare using an ATAR calculator as well as percentiles and how easy it would be for me to get certain marks. I also emphasised that all the time throughout the whole entire year I spent on SDD could be spent on English, which is heaps of time
-If nothing is working, speak to your school 'careers adviser' if you have one or even teachers and get them to talk to your parents about it

Hope this helps!
Ahh sorry, I forgot to mention that the subjects I mentioned were the subjects that I did good in, and I forgot to mention Chemistry as I got in the 80s and I came 2nd. I also forgot about speaking to a year adviser, thanks for the suggestion.

swagmeister

HSC
Ahh sorry, I forgot to mention that the subjects I mentioned were the subjects that I did good in, and I forgot to mention Chemistry as I got in the 80s and I came 2nd. I also forgot about speaking to a year adviser, thanks for the suggestion.
OK well if you are doing well in Chem and passionate about it I would keep it regardless of the workload cause like I said it will seem like less work then an 'easier' subject which you don't enjoy but obviously still up to you.

zhertec

HSC
Just give your parent's advice a shot, I mean you are doing pretty well with all those units (esp with chem). Try dropping after your first assessment, if you see any decrease in any of your marks caused by the sheer workload.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just give your parent's advice a shot, I mean you are doing pretty well with all those units (esp with chem). Try dropping after your first assessment, if you see any decrease in any of your marks caused by the sheer workload.
My parents told me drop IPT, and I got in the 80s for that without even studying, and I like that subject. So honestly, I'm in confusion right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)