What course has the highest average pay to graduates? (1 Viewer)

williamc

HSC
My mate last year who had 2nd class economics honours at macquarie got offered 110k a year for some investment banking firm in hong kong upon graduation

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
What kind of things do you guys invest in to get your 'passive income'?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I'dve rather put some money in tamiflu when swine flu came out than pull some mathematics out of my ass to choose my equity
It takes a lot more than just listening to Tom Petrovski every night to make good investment decisions. That's not to say following finance news in the media isn't a bad thing, especially for obtaining a broader perspective of things and attempting to gauge how the market has reacted to certain news.

However in saying that, a lot of sound investment strategies aren't necessarily complex and long thought out and flow from some of the simplest concepts. Investing isn't difficult in the sense that it needs to be complicated, but it's far from simple in taking the right approach.

Throwing money at companies that hit the news can certainly be a lot of fun when you're in the money, but it's a mugs game over the long-term and I wouldn't call it investing in the proper sense of the word.

blue_chameleon

HSC

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
It takes a lot more than just listening to Tom Petrovski every night to make good investment decisions. That's not to say following finance news in the media isn't a bad thing, especially for obtaining a broader perspective of things and attempting to gauge how the market has reacted to certain news.

However in saying that, a lot of sound investment strategies aren't necessarily complex and long thought out and flow from some of the simplest concepts. Investing isn't difficult in the sense that it needs to be complicated, but it's far from simple in taking the right approach.

Throwing money at companies that hit the news can certainly be a lot of fun when you're in the money, but it's a mugs game over the long-term and I wouldn't call it investing in the proper sense of the word.
I'm talking more about the economist, WA business news and general updates more than specific finance news.

At this stage I'm not making a passive income (3.5% simple interest or some shit) though I have made a few speculations which have gone well - I think I'm going to start trading FoReX or equity fundamentals early next year though I have quite a bit to learn over summer.

blue_chameleon

HSC
...I think I'm going to start trading FoReX...
Just head down to the local TAB or pokie den and invest your money there instead.

Forex trading is interesting in theory, but don't be expecting too much from an investment point of view. Pretty difficult to squeeze out arbitrage and can be a very slippery slope.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Just head down to the local TAB or pokie den and invest your money there instead.

Forex trading is interesting in theory, but don't be expecting too much from an investment point of view. Pretty difficult to squeeze out arbitrage and can be a very slippery slope.
I've heard its the way to go due to 24 hr markets, unlimited liquidy, can sell short without a price rise and w/e. It does look like theres too many external forces for me to try to start investing in though. My bet is the yuan will rise quite a bit if the US government starts trying to get rid of its debt though.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'dve rather put some money in tamiflu when swine flu came out than pull some mathematics out of my ass to choose my equity
Don't need maths or any analysis.

All you need to do is invest during a boom. Blardy easy to pick a boom and blardy easy to invest. Just buy some random stocks (within reason you know).

Of course, they could go bust and blah blah blah. That's all about stop losses. Take this recent crash. If you said to yourself, the moment my stock falls 10% I'll exit and you did that you would've made so much money like everyone I know. Easily over 300% return. Pity I didn't margin lend.

louy

HSC
N/A
My portfolio at the moment is still a little light on investments in shares. I have limited knowledge on investing in the market, but this is slowly growing.

My main investment that gives passive income at the moment is a buy to let property. The rental income easily covers the mortage. And when I come to sell, several years down the line, I hope to get a nice sum of capital gains to enjoy.
Of course, you need to build up a decent sum to get into property in the first place

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Of course, you need to build up a decent sum to get into property in the first place
Read an article a few weeks ago regarding someone setting up housing backed derivitives - this way people can hedge against their housing meaning if the property market collapses they don't lose as much.

Learning methods of investing and setting up a computer for daytrading will be my summer project I think.

louy

HSC
N/A
It is good that people have interest in investing and making money at a young age.
The earlier we start, the more we learn, the more we make.
And with compounding, the value of starting earlier will really multiply in later years and you will really see the benefit then. Hopefully

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Whatever you do, and speaking from my own personal experience, pick something that you have a keen interest in!

When I finished high school, I was either going to go to university to do IT or become a chef. I got good enough marks to get into university and picked IT mainly because of its good pay and easy hours. By halfway through the second year, I hated it. Great marks (distinction+) but I had no passion for it. So I dropped out.

I picked up my apprenticeship. After four years of working for very little pay (barely taking home $400 a week) and working 16-20 hours a day six days a week, I qualified. I have now been around the world, worked with some of the best chef's in the world and worked with some amazing people. It may be one of the most stressful jobs you can do (I've had Emergency Room doctors, Paramedics and Soldiers come through and drop out because of the stress and the hours), but I fell in love with food.

I think at the end of the day, find something you are passionate about and can really rally behind otherwise you will end up hating your and your degree. Don't try and convince yourself that you like something either! I'm now 26 and applying to do journalism (UTS,USYD) or business (USYD,UTS,MACQ).

I can either be a food & travel writer or restaurant critic/Michelin Guide Inspector if I get into Journalism, or a product/food researcher for someone like Relais & Chateaux, Simon Johnson or Leading Hotels of the World. Find something that can open up the world!

Glaciana

HSC
N/A
If it is money you want, screw uni and become a tradie...my boyfriend gets $2500 a week (after tax), although I wouldent say he LOVES his job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)