• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What course has the highest average pay to graduates? (1 Viewer)

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
Ok so im 18 wanna make alot of money as fast as possible, I can realistically get a ATAR of above 95 (not 99 tho) so what course should i do to make the most money?? I was GOING to do actuarial studies but they only make $45000-$60000.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Teaching and garbage collectors make a lot. I have a friend who picks up rubbish and he gets like $60 per hour.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Alot of the degrees will earn you ALOT more than u'll find base wages for, after some years in the industry. So don't look at grad pay rates as an indicator for career. I know of a few careers that intererest many grads with a high pay rate initially, but later to find out they are pretty much capped at that while their classmates start lower but go way past them in a few years.
Examples? Wayyy past them in a few years?

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
how do you know which career will pay better in the long run and initially

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Well you can't expect a 100 grand salary right after graduating. Life just doesn't come that easy my friend :sun:

Do some research but from my experiences, actuarial is the highest your gona get. Your only other option is some sort of investment (although, I wouldn't count on it with a hazy economy).

Good Luck!

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
mining, petroleum engineering can fetch 100k+ 1st year
true that. however, in the current economic situation, its not always possible. you also have to make a lot of sacrifices in terms of location/lifestyle etc. and who knows whats going to happen 2, 3 years down the track. if the chinese no longer need our resources or we run out, its back to uni/unemployment/poor paying job. but if you are after something that pays well immediately with barely any training, try plumbing.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
dentistry. $70k avg starting salary after 5 years of uni.
I'll be fetching $70k when I start in a grad program next year. That's after 4 years and a B.Commerce.

Doesn't seem as though Dentistry has much shine to it's salary these days.

orthentix

HSC
Pathetic, you're going to base your career on money? Do something you like, worry about the money later. If you're the best at anything, you will be paid well.

banipal753

HSC
I hear actuaries get the big bucks, but i have a friend who use to be one but became a maths teacher instead because apparently they work you like dogs, can call u to come to the office whenever they want, which is part of the reason why the salary is so high, i would recomenend mining engineering, they have good salaries, but i think you end up in the middle of SA/NT for a 2 weeks and back home for one.

Meh anyways, i think salary plays an important role in choosing what u wanna do, but if you have NO interest in that field, you will hate your life.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I'll be fetching $70k when I start in a grad program next year. That's after 4 years and a B.Commerce.

Doesn't seem as though Dentistry has much shine to it's salary these days.
haha, u underestimate the earning powers of dentists. 70k is first year out of uni. after that it grows exponentially. 90k by year 2, 120k by year 3, by years 4-5 you will be getting about 150-200k (if you work in the public sector). having 200k pa by the age of 28? i doubt you can achieve that with any other degree. not even medicine.
there is even greater potential in private practice. owning ur own practice with 1-2 dentists working for you could fetch you at least half a million a year after u take out the running costs/dentist/receptionist wages. i dont think a commerce or any other degree can get you that much.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
You underestimate the meaning of exponential growth lol

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
haha, u underestimate the earning powers of dentists. 70k is first year out of uni. after that it grows exponentially. 90k by year 2, 120k by year 3, by years 4-5 you will be getting about 150-200k (if you work in the public sector). having 200k pa by the age of 28? i doubt you can achieve that with any other degree. not even medicine.
there is even greater potential in private practice. owning ur own practice with 1-2 dentists working for you could fetch you at least half a million a year after u take out the running costs/dentist/receptionist wages. i dont think a commerce or any other degree can get you that much.
investment banking can fetch u 200k+
petroleum engineering can fetch u 200k+
selling drugs can fetch you 200k+

but none of those let you have a life, however dentistry is mostly a post grad thing

benv

HSC
You underestimate the meaning of exponential growth lol
LOL
From what I hear, Petroleum engineering has 100k+ starting.. and if you become manager of a rig for example, u could start earning more than 200k+ [Uncle told me as he is a petroleum engineer and is getting about $165k pa]
Also, if you are a businessman, and you do things correctly you could easily earn over $1m pa
Alot of factors involved ofcourse but you have to strive XD

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
you have to keep in mind that anyone who graduates with a dental degree can earn those salaries. its the standard for the trade. you may earn quite a bit as a petroleum engineer, but as i said earlier, you dont know whats going to happen in the market 3/4 years down the track. but everyone gets the occasional toothache/filling, so there will always be a demand.

of course dentists dont earn much compared to some of the top executives, but not every one can become a successful investment banker/businessman/owner of an oil rig/successful drug dealer (most get caught or only deal small scale). its up to u whether or not you want to try ur luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)