• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What careers are in high demand? (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Let's be honest, a large factor in it all is the restrictions placed on amount of places in Medicine.
That's basically the same as the doctor-population ratio but yes, there are limited places in Medicine.

Honestly, just do anything that currently ISN'T under "high demand" because this attracts tonnes of students and by the time you graduate, it won't be under "high demand".

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Honestly, just do anything that currently ISN'T under "high demand" because this attracts tonnes of students and by the time you graduate, it won't be under "high demand".
terrible advice

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
terrible advice
Yeah i agree, first things you should be considering are what you are interested in and what you are good at. Even if that happens to be something that doesn't have the best job prospects it might not matter if you are passionate and good at it, unless there are literally no jobs available over here.

On the topic of aerospace, i spoke to a guy who trasferred into aerospace engineering (or aeronautical, i forget) at Usyd and apparently he was told that he was one of few people who actually transfer in to it rather than out lol.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You might think it's terrible advice but I know many people that liked a course that was under "high demand" and guess what? By the time they graduated, pretty much nobody in their course could get a job within 6-12 months.

HSC
N/A
Definitely, definitely Nursing. Huge demand for Nursing right now and it's going to grow by 22% by the year 2020.

Not to mention, Nurses make really good money.

Source: http://www.nursing-works.com/salary.html
Im a nurse. And no, nursing is not in demand. Ask new grads about this. they cant even find a position for new grad.

what is in demand though is nurses with at least 5 years experience in their field of specialty. however, nursing is a very stressful job and a lot of them are just surrendering. I am one of them. after 6 years as an operating room nurse, i decided that i quit this profession.

good money? yes if you compare it to other jobs (such as retail etc) but if you compare it to other professions i.e. accounting or IT, nursing salary is shit compared to those. I asked my senior nurses why theres a big disparity of the pay. They told me that the reason for that is that nursing is such a "women" field and that it carries the stigma that women dont deserve to get paid more. hence, the huge pay disparity.

if i were you, please do not enter the nursing profession if your thinking of "money, pay or job security" that will burn you out. Like all fields in the medical profession, it is a vocation. that is what i have learnt.

just my 2 cents

bongoli

HSC
huge demand in the ICT playing field, you practically get a job before you sit your final exam in uni (that's the demand for it), pay's pretty good as well seeing as more companies are requiring techs in this digital age. lol so yeah it's pretty good

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
No field is in demand, not even in nursing. While australia does need more nurses there are not enough nursing grad positions.

You could look into allied heathcare like physio or similar.

I've written a blog about career choices and compiled news articles regarding the job market. here: http://boringgamenow.wordpress.com/

The only thing that is in demand is surveying. So if someone were to ask me which bachelors degree has a high employment rate that would be it. Everything else is BS and I can explain to them why, but you see I don't have the time to give free advice.

There's no such thing as in demand. Even the seek article on what's hot in the future is a misleading scam. Ask any accounting uni student right now and they will be will sad.
Even for surveying if 1000 people in NSW were to study it, they would not be able find jobs easily. Right now very few people study it so, you could pretty much get a job.

Each year over 8000 students get atar/uai over 90. That's a huge F number. Look at how many jobs ad posted around. While it is true that most jobs are advertised internally, it still means that employers do no need to post online. Ask any employer right now, they are swamped with applicants.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No field is in demand, not even in nursing. While australia does need more nurses there are not enough nursing grad positions.

I've written a blog about career choices and compiled news articles regarding the job market. here: http://boringgamenow.wordpress.com/

The only thing that is in demand is surveying. So if someone were to ask me which bachelors degree has a high employment rate that would be it. Everything else is BS and I can explain to them why, but you see I don't have the time to give free advice.

There's no such thing as in demand. Even the seek article on what's hot in the future is a misleading scam. Ask any accounting uni student right now and they will be will sad.
Even for surveying if 1000 people in NSW were to study it, they would not be able find jobs easily. Right now very few people study it so, you could pretty much get a job.

Each year over 8000 students get atar/uai over 90. That's a huge F number. Look at how many jobs ad posted around. While it is true that most jobs are advertised internally, it still means that employers do no need to post online. Ask any employer right now, they are swamped with applicants.
I think 'high demand' is being used as a relative term rather than an absolute term. There will ALWAYS be people who miss out on their desired roles which are relevant to what they are studying but this is more pronounced in some fields than others.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why not electrical?
lol.

I think that blog does not take into account that jobs in electrical usually do not deal with jobs locally in city/urban areas as much (more than half of electrical jobs are directed generally in rural areas or overseas, but still under management of a big firm which covers all of NSW/Australia). Also, at the moment most power engineers are above 50 so I wouldn't be surprised if in 15-20 years time there is a sudden random boom for retirements.

Though in terms of jobs its still not too bad for it. It has one of the most diverse opportunities actually in engineering (I'm disregarding the employment rate and only speaking about the diversity of the field).

That blog is so pessimistic all it is saying is to not study anything and live off the dole really.

That's just my opinion though. I'm sure some people might say otherwise but I would think most others would agree with me.

As long as you do something that will make you happy and you enjoy, undoubtedly you will try your best to get a job in it and not give up.

trungduong12

HSC
what about jobs like teaching in primary and secondary school? and jobs related to age care or social worker?
since Aus is an aging population and there will be a huge increase in the demand for age care in the next 5 years probably?

trungduong12

HSC
what about jobs like teaching in primary and secondary school? and jobs related to age care or social worker?
since Aus is an aging population and there will be a huge increase in the demand for age care in the next 5 years probably?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
- Human Resources (people you go to for cost cutting, hiring and firing; pretty self explanatory why they are in demand);
- Disability Support Services (subject to what the LNP do to the NDIS);
- Social Work (In demand, however, flood of graduates and is highly competitive);
- Lawyer (In demand, however, it has died down drastically since the GFC; there is also WAY!!! too many law graduates... It's more of a demand for experienced lawyers than graduates);
- Healthcare/Nursing/Doctors (very, very big demand!!! subsided by international contributions, eg: India, etc);
- Engineering (only for mining related professions);
- Any Trade (is handy if you are looking for a fly in, fly out job at the mines in WA);
- Construction (A lot of government subsided projects in the name of "stimulus"... Also a lot of investment from overseas contributions, namely China)
- etc...

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
- Human Resources (people you go to for cost cutting, hiring and firing; pretty self explanatory why they are in demand)
This is actually a pretty common misconception when it comes to the role of HR. For most businesses, decisions to downsize or cut stuff are usually made by senior management and carried out by HR. This leads to the belief that HR is responsible for job cuts when in actuality, these decisions are made elsewhere. That being said, HR is consulted by senior management for their input into the downsizing process (so is finance) - HR usually helps determine how labour can be redistributed after the cuts, as well as providing advice on who should be made redundant (however, senior/line management has a much more significant say in this). As I said before though, this can vary from business to business, but in my experience working in HR with a major organisation, HR dont have as much say on firing decisions as people think.

Overall though, hiring and firing is a very small part of the HR function. HR does a variety of things such as general administration (i.e. payroll, remuneration), managerial support (i.e. employee grievances), compliance (i.e. OHS) and strategy/policy making (i.e. rewards systems etc).

In terms of demand, HR is still a growing sector, especially in relation to external providers (i.e. firms who handle HR functions for organisations who dont have internal HR staff). There are good opportunities for career growth in HR, because there are a few rungs on the HR career ladder which looks something like this:

- Assistant
- Officer/Coordinator/Advisor
- Manager/Business Partner
- General Manager/Head of Department
- Executive

The only real issue with HR is breaking into the sector. Whilst a few places offer graduate programs for HR, the spots offered are quite limited (most businesses have one or two spots on offer for a HR graduate), so you would need to look for entry level positions. The issue with HR though is that it is a circular type industry whereby most "entry level" roles require experience of some sort. However, quite a few only require admin experience, so anyone hoping to break into the industry should try admin roles whilst in uni to gain the necessary experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: yma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)