What Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm reading my Accounting text, Actuarial Course Notes, Economics text and Mathematics Course Notes, as well posts. *Sighs* Excitin'! :p

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
suggest smthg for me to read............i'm sooooooo borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

skool_angel

i just starting to read harry potter and the order of the phoenix
i have been waiting for my HSC to be over so i can read it

Acid

HSC
I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for school.. not a big fan of reading..

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
I love getting lost in a book......few years ago i was ADDICTED to Fear Street books......

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Acid
I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for school..
Nice.. I read that book in the course of researching my Extension English 2 disseration (About utopian and dystopic literature..), and found it to be quite good. What do you think of it?

David Marr & Marian Wilkinson-Dark Victory.

About the Tampa, the ensuing governmental manipulation and media hysteria..

Also read Tom Stoppard-Arcadia yesterday.. This was excellent, and I recommend it highly.

B

Bambul

The Illustrated Directory of Warships From 1860 to the Present Day by David Miller.

I picked it up for $10 at a factory outlet bookshop. I was quite surprised at how many of the ships I actually recognised. I'd be "Look, it's the Dreadnought and the Bismarck, the Hood and the Prince of Wales, the Kitty Hawk and Constellation, the Anzac Frigates and so on and so forth".

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
William Shakespeare-Complete Works.

Not reading the entire text for now, but instead re-reading Julius Caesar before going on to Antony & Cleopatra.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears..

Antony's manipulation is quite skillful, heightened by the technique of relating the thoughts of the Plebeians multiple times throughout that scene.. But I digress.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Finished reading Dubliners (Really good.), read;

Averil Cameron-The Later Roman Empire; AD 284-430 [Fontana History Of The Ancient World] (Interesting.. I didn't know much about this period, seeing we only studied the early emipre..)

And am currently reading;
A.N Wilson-The Victorians. (Seems pretty good so far, if not brilliant.)

It's great to have even more time to read. ;)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by cakes
arrrghhhh!!!!!
Did you study this for the HSC? What do you think of it anyways?

I'm up to page 180 or thereabouts, and am enjoying it muchly. It's interesting, and the non-linear structure is an unorthodox, 'accurate' way of reflecting the nature of memory, more cyclical than represented in most texts. Also learning small details about the camps I wasn't aware of, like the 'prayer' recited by Jewish prisoners in Buchenwald. :(

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
rEAD "Fire and Rain" by what's her name. Uuummmm, damn forgot.
You bloody cry EVRY 2nd page and I'm serious! It's freakin sad and the whole way through you're full on absorbed, screaming at the girl to do this and that. I felt so raw reading this. Instead of being the character you feel u r standing there hopelessly watching on.
5 stars out of five. I guess only girls would read this but it's not a romance or girly book. It's about betrayal, family, friends, loss of trust, changing self, realisation etc....

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Earlier today, I read;

David Murray, Joel Schwartz and S. Robert Lichter-It Ain't Necessarily So; How Media Make And Unmake The Scientific Picture Of Reality. (It was pretty good, but I think there was somewhat of a conservative subtext running throughout.. While the basic messages are applicable across all media, every single case study in the book happened to be somehow related to 'liberals' and 'activists' exaggerating and distorting the facts, to do with environmental issues and so-on. Although it does happen, to an extent, the book would have had more credibility if it also included case studies of similar distortions from governmental groups, and other 'conservative' organisations..]

Currently reading;

Richard Freadman-Threads Of Life;Autobiography. (Interesting, and I already learnt a new word from the first page..'Lacuna', which is a synonym for a gap, a void, and so-on.. Good stuff.]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)