What Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Today has been a rather productive day, in the reading sense.. Finished 'Threads Of Life' (Quite fascinating actually...), started and completed;

Joyce Tyldesley-Judgement Of The Pharaoh; Crime And Punishment In Ancient Egypt. A bit too brief and 'general' for my liking, but nevertheless, still managed to learn from it.

About to commence;

W.B Worthen-Shakespeare And The Authority Of Performance.

All good on the reading front.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Stephen Coote-The Penguin Short History Of English Literature. (At 700 pages, it's only short in comparison to the ten-volume version. :p)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Chris Healy-From the Ruins of Colonialism; History as Social Memory/.

Quite interesting, a study of various means of creating 'history' in Australia, such as museums and educational cirricular..

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Now Reading;
John Stuart Mill-On Liberty & The Subjection Of Women. [Wordsworth Classics.]

From The Ruins Of Colonialism was good, but only 190 pages long. (One part that was very interesting was a discussion of a 'Jubilee' project conducted by 700 Victorian schools in 1922, consisting of each school writing a history of their local area..) It also provided a good definition of 'History and Memory' and I managed to learn a new word from it; prosopopoeia. It's a synonym for 'personification'. Succintly splendiferous.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Currently reading Michael Moores 'Dude, Wheres My Country?'-which is good, but pales in comparision to Stupid White Men. However, he does bag out John Howard in this one, which is a definate plus.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Endgame was quite good, possibly because of it's minimalist, nihilistic nature. My first university reading completed. (Endgame is a text for 'Inventing Modernity'..)

Continuing my limited readings within the 'Theatre Of The Absurd'..

Luigi Pirandello-Six Characters In Search Of An Author.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
A brief explanation of my 'flurry', 'Endgame' and 'Six Characters In Search Of An Author' are very short plays, hence my reading three texts in one day. books above and books below.. :p

Now reading;
Ed.Dennis Walder-Literature In The Modern World: Critical Essays and Documents. (Current essay is Literature and the Rise of English. by Terry Eagleton.)

jaNetix

wat..no one reading 'Vernon god Little' - by DBC Pierre??

i jus got it 2day....so ill get stuk into it more...but so far...looks good....a lot of swearing tho..
we'll see where it goes..

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm starting to get into my book Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice, nearly finished it and i'll be starting The Simillarian by J.R.R Tolkien.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Re-Read George Orwell-Nineteen Eighty-Four for preparatory purposes. .Still holds up, (Plusgood at the very least) and the frightening political parallels with contemporary America are even more apparent.

Currently reading;

Raja Shehadeh-When The Bulbul Stopped Singing; A diary of Ramallah under siege.

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Finally finished that French Revolution book (It's short, but quite dry and/or dull.).. Still learnt from it though, so it was worth it.

Arundhati Roy-The God of Small Things. (This is supposed to be really good.. Even won the 1997 Booker. I'll comment upon actually finishing it.)

s2ophie

HSC
Goodness Gracious! Gregor has posted a lot in this thread! 47 times to be exact!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
Goodness Gracious! Gregor has posted a lot in this thread! 47 times to be exact!
Huzzah. It's a veritable document of my frequent reading. :p

From the 162 pages I've read, 'The God Of Small Things' is indeed quite the splendiferous work.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I'm reading Montana 1948 at the moment, and i just finished Light Me The Moon which was pretty darn good. im not really into montana yet but i'm sure it'll click soon enough

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The university readings are going well.. (The God Of Small Things did indeed prove to be quite splendiferous.)

Drusilla Modjeska-The Orchard.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
While The Orchard was good, it wasn't great. Interesting in it's blurring the lines between fact and fiction however.

James Joyce-Ulysses.

Have only read 65 pages of this, enjoying it muchly, and wondering why this is considered so 'difficult'. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)