What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I havent watched the movie :eek:

Im reading it first.
I analysed the film for english. But probably a wise decision

Atwood - Blind Assassin

and some legal studies notes, my eyes are tired :/....I've been reading the Shopaholic books by shit i forget her name, that's right, Kinsella. sort of like Bridget Jones but BJ is funnier and more British...I wasn't too keen on the series but it grows on you lol...the characterisation of Becky draws you in, even if it's quite a teeny bopper...well not teeny bopper, what's the word? I read it in Lodge...Fitzgerald did it. something about shopping being orgasmic and drawing the chicks in.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
porge said:
i just finished reading
zadie smith - white teeth
quite long but i rushed it so i read it in a week
apparently a good po/mo related text for 3 unit - post colonial and the sort
its bout these two families ones from bangladesh (or thereabout) the others jamaican
deals with inter racial relationships, religion and science
kinda sounds shit but its a great read!

and coming from a bias 3 unit student --> anything by italo calvino - if on a winters night a traveller - and i just began short story - the non-existant knight

i got such a long list of books i wanna readdd arghhh its so addictive
oh, I'm the opposite, I don't ever want to touch anything written in the 19th century after this year. It's brilliant writing and all, it's just after rolling around in the same old same old concepts, marriage, social class, la di dah di dah di dah, objectification of women and whatnot, you get pretty sick of it. Flaubert is cool though, everyone read Madame Bovary.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
bride stripped bare is DISTURBING

I finished North and south (I was inspired by the tv series) and, once you get past the first two boring chapters, the book gets so much better. And the ending is just so cute... I just LOVE 19th century literature

I am now reading Edward Stewart's Ballerina (i love it because its like a b grade soap opera)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
cherryblossom said:
oh, I'm the opposite, I don't ever want to touch anything written in the 19th century after this year. It's brilliant writing and all, it's just after rolling around in the same old same old concepts, marriage, social class, la di dah di dah di dah, objectification of women and whatnot, you get pretty sick of it. Flaubert is cool though, everyone read Madame Bovary.
Im all for classic literature and love almost every author on the penguins classics list but for the love of God, I just dont get madame bovary. i bought the book for a reading list thing and it still sits on my shelf all new and shiny...i can't bring myself to read any further cos its so whiny and boring....anyway this is not just a whinge...give me mroe reaosns why i should dust off the cover and attempt again :D

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
“Oh, do not move! do not speak! look at me! Something so sweet comes from your eyes that helps me so much!”
Flaubert's realism is the coolest. I love how he satirizes all the characters, especially Homais, but it's kind of despairing how he projects this...hypocritical and pompous society...that is sort of reflective of our own really. None of Emma's romanticism comes to any good.
As for Flaubert himself, he spent 5 years on his first novel, polishing every single sentence until it was perfect. That alone deserves respect. Apparently, according to his mum, the 'search for the perfect phrase dessicated his heart'.
Anyway I like him because of his unique background - he gave up law and you know, travelled around in the Middle East, going to mosques and brothels - the mixture of profane and religion is really amusing to me for some reason...he never married, was scared of commitment apparently! And although he hated the bourgeoisie he remained a loyal and awkward member of this social class for his entire life....Madame Bovary, c'est moi...and I could sort of relate to him in an abstract way because it's such a compelling story...and while I was writing my own major work, which is rather personal, I went through this process...and yeah, Flaubert rocks and whoever wants to argue with that can come here and get walloped. :p

Edit: I just saw Sarah's post, I read it before I did the Ind and Soc module and I didn't get it either, you must really read into the context - like he was writing at a time of great change, what with the Industrial Rev going on - and while Paris was a centre of economic hubbub and sophistication the provinces languished...this is where Bovary is set...Emma longs for Paris, big cities, the sophistication she can't ever have, (Maupassant's 'The Necklace' is similar)... and Homais is reflective of the pompousness of the new middle class - he goes on about science when he knows nothing about it, Charles of the characteristic bourgeosie man - boring, plodding...
it's interesting to note how Flaubert situates Bovary just before the 1850s, when the changes really started to kick in - sort of the time of quiet before all the technology and communication got into swing...anyway, so it's quite a complex book but I really love it, it's just beautiful, well worth the read.

gordo - I've heard of it, I'm a bit skeptical - might be just a rehash of wild swans crap...

Last edited:

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I'm currently reading 2 books-
The first is "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley-It's for school. I don't like the way it's written at all, but the ideas and concepts are fantastic
The other is "The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King" -Tolkein. I'm reading it for the 3rd time. So I'll leave it up to you to guess whether I like it or not...

HSC
Reading two books also

Nick Sparks - The Notebook (again x4)
Nick Sparks - A Walk to Remember

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Just started reading oscar wilde's the portrait of dorian gray...

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
The man in the portrait =O

Spooky.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
miss_b said:
Is that the same one?
If I'm correct your novel is about a man in the portrait who mimics a real life man? It's in the gothic style I know that much.

That's all that I was getting at. ;)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
011 said:
If I'm correct your novel is about a man in the portrait who mimics a real life man? It's in the gothic style I know that much.

That's all that I was getting at. ;)
It's about a man who has a portrait that ages where as he does not...

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Oh that's the one, it doesn't mimic. I was somewhere in the vicinity of that. :p

persephone

HSC
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Because I am currently obsessed with the mini-series so it was logical to read the book. It was actually quite hard to find the book....must be getting popular....

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre
Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss
Philosophy for Dummies - Tom Morris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)