what are we meant to look for in a syllabus? (1 Viewer)

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
So i was having a look at the syllabuses on board of studies and there was like 100 pages just for english. What are we actually ment to look for? and how exactly are we meant to makes notes on the syllabus? Thanks.

aimhigh10

HSC
i'd recommend looking at the specific support documents and prescriptors for english, the 100 page syllabus makes everything so hard to understand, but its all basically summarised in the other files.There should be one for each of the modules and the area of study.For pretty much everything else we just need to focus on the objectives/outcomes, but remember to learn all three columns, not just the first two :)

aimhigh10

HSC
sorry theres something wrong with bos, its not letting me post links. Basically if u go to the same page that the english syllabus is on, scroll down to the bottom, theres a whole area dedicated to all the support docs and prescriptors

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
i dont get what you're tryna say

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Many of my teachers print out a copy of the syllabus dot points and then as we cover it in class we mark it down. I'm sure your teachers would be in the know, i suggest asking them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OP, for Legal Studies, Economics and Ancient History - you will need a copy of the syllabus. Make sure you can answer every single 'dotpoint', and this will ensure that you will get at the very least, a Band 6.

However, your other subjects Maths, English - there's no need for a syllabus, it's pretty much useless - all it states is "do this" "do that", which doesn't help you at all.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
OP, for Legal Studies, Economics and Ancient History - you will need a copy of the syllabus. Make sure you can answer every single 'dotpoint', and this will ensure that you will get at the very least, a Band 6.

However, your other subjects Maths, English - there's no need for a syllabus, it's pretty much useless - all it states is "do this" "do that", which doesn't help you at all.
What dotpoints am i ment to be looking at? Are they the ones under 'Content'?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
awesome, thanks :)
I'm not so sure about SDD (I don't do it), but it seems like a subject where you might need a syllabus. (don't quote me on this though).

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC

Yes. Skip all the junk at the top and go right down to "Content: HSC Course"
The rest is irrelevant.
awesome, thanks a lot. Repped you Anna, i gotta spread Aerath. Yeah don't worry about SDD, i dropped it lol. I gotta update my sig. Good luck to both of youse in the exams

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
awesome, thanks a lot. Repped you Anna, i gotta spread Aerath. Yeah don't worry about SDD, i dropped it lol. I gotta update my sig. Good luck to both of youse in the exams
Hehe, no worries. I'll rep you back when i can but i've given out too much now aha.

Dyllip

HSC
For Biology, my teacher gives us a copy of the syllabus and we copy down her 8 dot points for each syllabus dot point off the smart board. So is the work we do in biology basically my notes for the HSC?

I wish all subjects would do this!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
For Biology, my teacher gives us a copy of the syllabus and we copy down her 8 dot points for each syllabus dot point off the smart board. So is the work we do in biology basically my notes for the HSC?

I wish all subjects would do this!
Hmm that work method wouldn't work with me. I like to sit and absorb what the teacher is saying.

Dyllip

HSC
Hmm that work method wouldn't work with me. I like to sit and absorb what the teacher is saying.
Yeah she does that with us. She gives examples and diagrams and really explains well what each dot point means, and makes sure we all understand. It makes confusing work seem less complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)