What are the most interesting facts you have learned in Modern History? (1 Viewer)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
He gained power through manipulation of key figures in the Reichstag and being able to take advantage of a situation where most Germans were vulnerable and easily swayed. Events such a s the Night of the Long Knives simply catalysed this process of fear and control.

Probably the most interesting thing I learnt was when Speer ditched his wife after being released from jail lol

enoilgam

HSC
The night of long knives is probably that bloody coup, but I really don't think that was legal haha more like, abuse of power. I never knew if anything was done against the Nazis because of that, i mean, if today someone in the government murdered a few political figures, even justified, I mean that would probably still be a big issue, does anyone know anything that happened as a result to them? :eek: no repercussions? D:
Michael Lippert and Sepp Dietrich were charged with Ernest Rohm's death in the late 1950's and got 18 months jail. Theodor Eicke shot Rohm and since he was dead, they charged the two who stood outside his cell. I think there were some other charge filed post war for the Night of long knives.

Last edited:

hannah_2121

HSC
I thought it was crazy the way that 5 million people in the Ukraine died from the famine during the 30's all because they meet grain targets or something absurd... Like Stalin was just able to 'bully' (probably not the right term) its neighbouring countries and no-one really cared

jenslekman

HSC
Lev Trotsky was ice-picked in the head. that was an interesting fact. thank you.

DrWho94

HSC
I did both NAZI Germany and also the Arab Israeli conflict - So obviously one of the most interesting things I've learnt Is the Jews must be doing something to piss people off. But all credit to them with building their own nation right in the middle of enemy territory.

NinaChapps

HSC
I thought it was crazy the way that 5 million people in the Ukraine died from the famine during the 30's all because they meet grain targets or something absurd... Like Stalin was just able to 'bully' (probably not the right term) its neighbouring countries and no-one really cared
It's not that they didn't care, they just couldn't do anything about it. That's the whole idea of totalitarianism. Under Stalinism, Stalin was like god. If anyone contested or threatened his power or actions, well they were goners. Just look what happened to the Kulaks.

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
Michael Lippert and Sepp Dietrich were charged with Ernest Rohm's death in the late 1950's and got 18 months jail. Theodor Eicke shot Rohm and since he was dead, they charged the two who stood outside his cell. I think there were some other charge filed post war for the Night of long knives.
Ah I'm guessing through terror and repression, typical within the state of Germany at the time is also why not much of the public did anything in retribution?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Which characters in Orwell's novels are metaphors for which Russian revolutionaries. That there were two Russian revolutions. That the Japanese were terrible at making objective strategic moves. That Roosevelt was a war-monger but had a hard time convincing the populace to join him. That the Germans found a handy new recipe for turning sawdust into bread during WWI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)