What are people creating for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

nishkak

HSC
well i just did a simple rss reader/web browser using SWT, Java and ROME and came 1st in the state in 2005 SDD --- don't over-exert yourself on your major project, it's not worth it and if you end up spending hours on it every week it just kills your other subjects

Shael

HSC
Yeah.. you guys wanting to make a 3D game are a bit too ambitious I think. I've been into game development for 3 years or so, and so unless you're using an already made engine like Dr_Doom is, and have good experience in game design and programming.. the project will most likely be a failure.

Point is, dont try to be so ambitious and try to make a clone. It's sometimes the simplest and innovative projects that get you further.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
And yet it is what Bill Gates says maybe he is speaking from experience, well its a good quote and I like it.
fuck ur stupid

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Shael said:
Yeah.. you guys wanting to make a 3D game are a bit too ambitious I think. I've been into game development for 3 years or so, and so unless you're using an already made engine like Dr_Doom is, and have good experience in game design and programming.. the project will most likely be a failure.

Point is, dont try to be so ambitious and try to make a clone. It's sometimes the simplest and innovative projects that get you further.

no let them their 06ers

sunny

meh.
HSC
aaaman this is your first and last warning. Your other posts were deleted for a reason - keep this thread constructive instead of insulting other people and what they would like to do.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
sunny said:
aaaman this is your first and last warning. Your other posts were deleted for a reason - keep this thread constructive instead of insulting other people and what they would like to do.

ok the previous posts were stupid i wont deny that all u had to do was send a PM and ill left the software forum alone, they were indeed. however may i ask what is wrong with "no let them their 06ers" i was implying that they should be allowed to do whatever they want as the hsc itself is a learning curve on the rules and regulations with regards to assessments task

now if was insulting them in my last message then why isn't there any profanities in it and also just bcoz im a dickhead + a villain it doesn't mean im gonna be like that 24/7 im wise but full of shit.:wave:

maskd

HSC
We haven't been issued the Major Project sheet yet, but I'm thinking of doing something that's just simple, I made a HTML editor thing last year, and it was very, very poorly coded, and a waste of my time, it was easily the best program out of the class, but one of the other guys overdid his documentation, so therefore he came first. This year I'm going to make the documentation as long and laborious as possible.

I was thinking a simple library system using some text files or something.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
maskd said:
We haven't been issued the Major Project sheet yet, but I'm thinking of doing something that's just simple, I made a HTML editor thing last year, and it was very, very poorly coded, and a waste of my time, it was easily the best program out of the class, but one of the other guys overdid his documentation, so therefore he came first. This year I'm going to make the documentation as long and laborious as possible.

I was thinking a simple library system using some text files or something.
thats good. i like ur pragmatism and your application of reality.

a major MAJOR component of your project is actually making your program user-friendly. remember with the theory with user interface design...things like buttons, drop down bars, white spacing, radio buttons, check boxes, appropriate images, appropriate colour usage...all adds up to a great program.

and ur point about over documentation...dont make ur documentation long and laborious if its not going to be of any use at all for you. remember ur diary is there to HELP YOU not to show the teacher that you can write pages and pages of pesudo-technical computer jargon.

and a process diary isnt expected to be neat...its there for you to jot down ideas and scribble some notes and maybe draw a prototype design of ur project. however, more formal things - like changing ur major project, changing to a different programming language, going a different direction in terms of algorithm structure - should be typed up to make it clear to you and the teacher.

Jouma47

HSC
Im making a reminder program, or atleast im trying to....

simple but advanced enough i'd say

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Jouma47 said:
Im making a reminder program, or atleast im trying to....

simple but advanced enough i'd say
a reminder program...? you mean, something along the lines of an... 'alarm clock' program?

and please, tell us how its...simple, but advanced enough :)

Jeffski

Accountant Freak!
HSC
im creating a program for a resturant that supports timetabling, booking and staff rostering. Is that hard?

Dr_Doom

HSC
Thats a good idea since you have a person who you rely on for info and evaluations. My sis is just my game tester lol. When we first got the Major project sheet I couldn't think of anything to do. Now I can't make up my mind lol. I will probably make the game, as I have already designed a map and a model... Anyone else done some designing for their Major??? Will I get more marks based on the quality of the design?

Is everyone using Visual Basic . NET 2003?

sasquatch

HSC
Building something as complicated as a game seems to be a waste of time. At our school we dont even get to pick our project, its appointed to us, and everybody does the same task. We havent got it yet, but from what ive heard it sounds very simple (well at least for me). You wont really get any more marks for having something shockingly impressive... You'll spend alot of time developing this project, loosing time for your other subjects. But its still up to you.. and building something like a game is very enjoyable.. so have fun!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Jeffski said:
im creating a program for a resturant that supports timetabling, booking and staff rostering. Is that hard?
no, not really...i remember in my year one of the students did the same thing, except its booking and allocating seats in a theatre. he took around 3 weeks to get the internal engine working, and another 2 weeks to find images for buttons, and generally making it more 'object orientated' and 'user friendly'. i must say, it was quite a good project.

yes, its not going to be hard in terms of programming skills, but you'll get the marks from planning, overall presentation, user-friendliness, not from uber-super programming special effects and such, although it would be nice :)

*sparklez...

HSC
thank god most of the marks goes towards the documentation!! i'm such a noob!! VB is the only language i can understand and dont get me started on flash...i couldnt use flash if my life depended on it!! ahaha
all your projects sound super duper cool and very mind-bogglingly complcated *confuscious*
our school also allocates the same project to each student...and its usually an educational program we have to develop so i guess all i have to worry about is how user friendly the program is =]
so good luck in thinking of the project you're going to make!! thank god i dont have to think of one coz along with being a noob, i'm also very VERY uncreative

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
My teacher still hasn't said a word about a major project, although it does say in our assessment booklets that it is due term 3. He will probably give it out half way through term 2 i reckon....

Glen Anderson

Captain Affirmative
HSC
*sparklez... said:
VB is the only language i can understand and dont get me started on flash...i couldnt use flash if my life depended on it!!
i can only use supercard(hyperscript,mac) a bit of VB and understand a bit of C#
most of the kids in my class can only do EXTREME basics if statements and sometimes they can remeber how to access an array. Now they are noobs. As long as you try to get the best rank possible because the hsc only will have psuedo i think. for your project have the documentation and planning right and u should go ok

*sparklez...

HSC
Glen Anderson said:
i can only use supercard(hyperscript,mac) a bit of VB and understand a bit of C#
most of the kids in my class can only do EXTREME basics if statements and sometimes they can remeber how to access an array. Now they are noobs. As long as you try to get the best rank possible because the hsc only will have psuedo i think. for your project have the documentation and planning right and u should go ok
aaww...thanx for the reassurance but i'm still a noob compared to the people in my class...and i WILL try to rank 1st in my grade...but not for ranking purposes...instead for the fact that if i come first, everyone else will be so cut mwuahahhaha being the laziest, having the most absences and of course because i'm the only girl so i have to kick ass!! LMAO

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
*sparklez... said:
aaww...thanx for the reassurance but i'm still a noob compared to the people in my class...and i WILL try to rank 1st in my grade...but not for ranking purposes...instead for the fact that if i come first, everyone else will be so cut mwuahahhaha being the laziest, having the most absences and of course because i'm the only girl so i have to kick ass!! LMAO
quite ironically, you will have to release urself from absences and laziness if u want to attain such a goal...then i guess people wouldnt be so cut if they realised how much work u put in for this task...but then again, time will tell.

only female eh? now that IS interesting...speakes volumes ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)