What are people creating for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

*sparklez...

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
quite ironically, you will have to release urself from absences and laziness if u want to attain such a goal...then i guess people wouldnt be so cut if they realised how much work u put in for this task...but then again, time will tell.

only female eh? now that IS interesting...speakes volumes ;)
i know...and that i will do!! i've currently put my social life on hold so yeahz...thats a bummer...but the realisation of my absences came from my yearly report, 32 absences!! i didn't know my attendance was that appalling...so since its my final year at schoool i thought i'd aim for a perfect attendance award (i've never recieved one) but i'd already screwed that up on like the third week back to school or something...but despite my lack of will to do work, i'm currently ranked 2nd in the class...but thats only out of 10 people LMAO...oh well...i'll strive to do my best =] YIPPEE!!

Dr_Doom

HSC
any updates on projects anyone? I've managed to get my guy to move around a 3d world and make random footstep noises when I walk. I also got background music :p

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
any updates on projects anyone? I've managed to get my guy to move around a 3d world and make random footstep noises when I walk. I also got background music :p
oh very nice! i hope you got ur solutions and logic for ur coding in ur diary, and have done sufficient documentation, both internal + external.

is this just like a CS type shooting game?

tama00

HSC
Hey, im new on these forums so no one flame;)

Im good a C programming, been doing C programming under Linux for three years now(GO! Gentoo), i know a few librarys, GTK+ and sockets also some SDL.. anyways for my major i desided to do an ecommerces soultion for a company in my local area, it will be programed in PHP and feature all that admin ecommerce stuff.

Anyways i was perviously doing a another major before this but my system admin didnt like the idea of me running Linux Live distro on the schools computers, so i had to change it. So im wondering if i should start my journal documentation again, or add onto it? also im wondering if its easier and score higher marks if you do your documentation in a book rather then in a blog on a webpage or typing it in a word document?

Sober

HSC
tama00 said:
Hey, im new on these forums so no one flame;)

Im good a C programming, been doing C programming under Linux for three years now(GO! Gentoo), i know a few librarys, GTK+ and sockets also some SDL.. anyways for my major i desided to do an ecommerces soultion for a company in my local area, it will be programed in PHP and feature all that admin ecommerce stuff.

Anyways i was perviously doing a another major before this but my system admin didnt like the idea of me running Linux Live distro on the schools computers, so i had to change it. So im wondering if i should start my journal documentation again, or add onto it? also im wondering if its easier and score higher marks if you do your documentation in a book rather then in a blog on a webpage or typing it in a word document?
The major project is marked internally so you should really consult your teacher on these issues.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
oh very nice! i hope you got ur solutions and logic for ur coding in ur diary, and have done sufficient documentation, both internal + external.

is this just like a CS type shooting game?
Nope I haven't documented anything. I have made a few comments in my code though. Nah it's nothing like cs. It's sorta like GUNZ. Have you ever played that? Well you control the character in 3rd person, and you can still move the mouse around and shoot and stuff, and your character looks in the direction of the mouse... I'm thinking of having a blob game, where he shoots blobs over the place or something. Still thinking up a good story line lol...

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Nope I haven't documented anything. I have made a few comments in my code though.
oh dear matey, that is not good at all. hopefully by now you do have sufficient documentation.

Dr_Doom said:
Nah it's nothing like cs. It's sorta like GUNZ. Have you ever played that? Well you control the character in 3rd person, and you can still move the mouse around and shoot and stuff, and your character looks in the direction of the mouse... I'm thinking of having a blob game, where he shoots blobs over the place or something. Still thinking up a good story line lol...
ah, sounds quite interesting...might be worthwhile to include ur brainstorming of ideas for the storyline into your diary as well. :)

there is one concern that, that is, you (any many others who are developing similar projects like Dr_Doom's one) may not finish the project in time, or, you will spend too much time on it, and compromise studying and spending time with your other subjects. yes, it might be cool to code in your favourite sound track, or to get other wacky 'easter egg' functions nested inside the code, but in the end, it doesnt amount to much. all im saying is that please consider the time that you do have for your project on top of your other subjects that you have to study, and make adjustments to your plans accordingly, and justify in your diary.

please please please, keep this in minds. last year, my friend spend nearly 80% of his WHOLE time coding his project, and ended up only getting a rather low mark. i dont want the same mistake to happen to any HSC 06er.

lvlark

HSC
yeh.. umm.. i pretty much suck at coding and my teacher has NO CHANCE in helping me.. i would say every1 in our class knos more about it than he does (except for crappy database things)

We are all forced to use VB 06 (i wanted to use flash and actionscript but he wont let me) but yeh umm im doing sum game where u hav this little man and he runs and collects objects from one side of the screen and takes them to the other side, all while avoiding falling objects... im kind of restricted by VB though.. such as i cant even load in animated objects/pictures ( i try enabling use of shokwave and VB crashes every time)

does any1 hav any ideas on how i could maybe make my game a little better (such as a way to use transparency even) ?

well yeh that is my project anyway.. im not putting a large amount of work into its scale mainly because i also do design and tech and im tied up with its major project

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
hey guys,

I agree, most of your projects sound pretty complex, however, you have probably got heaps of experiance, i justed start learning vb inclass, although i know some basic html, and java, but i guess that dosen't count for much.

Anyhow, im making a Text Encryption/Decryption program using a very simple ROT algorith (aka ceaser encryption), it works by converting each character in the string to ASCII, then adding a number which the user enters, then converting it back to Character, so e.g changes "a" to "c", so its pretty simple.

Mostly done, just gotta finish the UI, e.g icons etc, and the find text function.:)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
lvlark said:
m kind of restricted by VB though.. such as i cant even load in animated objects/pictures ( i try enabling use of shokwave and VB crashes every time)
Usually I just load a bunch of images into an array, and then use a timer that can be activated/deactivated by a keypress (such as when the character moves) to cycle through them as part of a loop.

It might be a bit more painful, but it'll also show a bit of (possibly mark-boosting) logic to your teacher that you wouldn't have if you just loaded in animated pictures.

pungemo

HSC
I've noticed a few of you are doing games. I have to ask, are you guys writing your engines from scratch or are you utilising a pre-existing architexture. I ask because writing a 3D engine is pretty complex and time consuming and I'm not sure whether using a pre-existing engine would be acceptable.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Some people are writing their own engines. I am using a pre-existing one and just focusing more on developing an awesome 3D game...

pungemo

HSC
I suppose using an already existing architecture would be similar to using excel or access to develop a program, except on a more sophisticated level. Dr_Doom are you doing it just because it's an area of interest or for career reasons? Also I hope the people developing their own engines know what sort of massive work load they're getting themselves involved with. It's enough work creating a game with an engine. Doom, are you also doing all the modelling, scripting, level design, texturing, animation, etc as well as the coding? What engine are you using and what scale of game are you making and what genre is it? I ask because I actually intend to do game design when I leave school. It's an extremely competitive field and I'm already doing an English Extension 2 major work on the general theme using machinima to further my chances.

- Haha I just noticed I said architexture. Damn, too much time working with the Source SDK :p

Dr_Doom

HSC
I'm doing it because I would be bored out of my brains if I did some shit intranet thing for the teacher lol. Plus I spoke to other people who did a game and they got 39.5/40 !

Yes I'm doing the modelling, but it's pretty lame. I have already made my dude. I'll post a screenshot below. By scripting do you mean coding? Yes. Yeah I'm currently desining the map for the levels, not sure what genre or theme I will make it yet.. Texture, just using pre-existing .wad files. Animation, doing that in milkshape, don't really know how to make it so when I move forward the legs only move. At the moment the legs of my guy just continuously move lol...

I'm using the 3D state engine for vb.net 2003. 3D game with a huge map prolly rpg, cept my guy is going to have a gun. I have the whole aim thing working but I cannot aim up or down.. Prolly a small error, not sure though..

Here's a picture of my model in milkshape 3d:

Here's one in the actuall game. He is half way through the ground because the gravities screwed up, so my guy constantly bobs up and down.. lol and when I shoot, the bullets end up a few places away from the actuall aim lol..

pungemo

HSC

Dr_Doom

HSC
Anyone got any idea how to make my game multiplayer :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)