What are our textbooks for then??? (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Our Biology teacher gave us our textbooks and said to keep them at home. Someone asked him if they're just for homework then, and he said not really, he just has to give them out because the Bored of Studies or whatever says he has to. What are they for then?! ( I've been reading mine anyway because I think it's interesting. Haha, I'm such a nerd!) We have to keep our Chemistry textbook at home too (same teacher for both classes). Do other people use their textbooks in class?

HSC
yeah i get that too. use it to ur advantage, read it, see whats relevant (based on the syllabus) make notes...study it.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
I'd just suggest you read it at home. Read ahead (god, this coming out of my mouth is gold - I never take my own advice) and when you don't get what the hell the teachers talking about, read the textbook. Generally pretty much all you need to learn for the syllabus is somewhere in the textbook.

Read it at home - and if you don't understand anything, ask the teacher.

Or, if it's a shit teacher, if you don't understand what the hell the teacher's going on about, read the textbook, and if you still don't understand, re-read it, you'll get it eventually. If not ask a friend.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I used none of my textbooks in class. They were merely for reference purposes and a resource for study.

As you approach your final years of school, you'll find the learning style tends to change. i.e you take responsibility for your own learning and do study outside of class. Classtime is much better spent working through material without having the contents of the textbooks simply regurgitated to you, when thats something you can go through in your own time.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I use my textbook that the school provided me with at school and at home, mainly for doing questions from the book or making notes. I also have several other sources for note taking and reference including other chemistry textbooks on the market, past papers and such. I would recommend you to do the same and start looking around for other sources of information.

P

pLuvia

I use my textbooks for Chemistry from school only for homework, and reference to dot points

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I actually was doing those things anyway, as if I would just leave the textbook in the corner of my room, gathering dust until exam time! Thanks for the advice though! I just thought it was funny, going from teachers who make us do nothing but questions from a textbook every single lesson, to not using it in class at all!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol well; most of my friend's textbooks are rotting / gathering dusts in their room.

i bought my own physics textbooks [which is really good imo]. The "Jacaranda" physics text book is really good; as it gives u the syllabus dot points and the page numbers for reference to write notes.

i use it more than the other 2 physics text books issued by my teacher (macmillan & excel)

business studies; we gotta buy our own textbooks coz teacher is too cheap to buy new ones since new boook is coming out this year.
but it was a good deal since i can write in it; destroy it and watever. ! =D
and it's brand-spanking new for $20 [gotta love the prices as new text books come out!]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
And I thought brand-spanking new textbooks were $30+... XD

As long as you use actually make use of the textbooks you buy rather than storing them on your shelf for decoration, your money would have been put to good investment in your studies. :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha yep.
the business textbook was on sale .. as the new business studies in action book was out. thus they wanted to get rid of their remaining stock a.s.a.p.

my physics text book that i bought costed like $60. really helpful though.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
shinji said:
haha yep.
the business textbook was on sale .. as the new business studies in action book was out. thus they wanted to get rid of their remaining stock a.s.a.p.

my physics text book that i bought costed like $60. really helpful though.
i have four business studies textbook lying around in my room lol.

excel business studies o1: my sister gave it to me
business studies in action: borrowed from cousin
longman business studies: school hire
cambridge hsc business studies: brought myself and ITS CRAP ><"

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha. i only need 1 business text book. aha
thats how confident i am ;P

i have the business studies in action #2 . lol

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Omg, I just got my Physics text books- one of them is 711 pages!!! (the teacher said it's just a reference book for years 11 & 12 and that he'll teach us everything we need to know). The other book is called Problems in Physics and we'll use it (like we did today) for doing questions on topics we don't really understand or need practice on.

47sniper

HSC
N/A
I have 4 textbooks and we barely ever use them.....

HSC
shinji said:
The "Jacaranda" physics text book is really good; as it gives u the syllabus dot points and the page numbers for reference to write notes.
Cool, thats what book i have. I also have about 4 other textbooks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Omg, I just got my Physics text books- one of them is 711 pages!!! (the teacher said it's just a reference book for years 11 & 12 and that he'll teach us everything we need to know). The other book is called Problems in Physics and we'll use it (like we did today) for doing questions on topics we don't really understand or need practice on.
I got Physics in Contexts 711 pages yeah its a real brick.

These are the textbooks i have:

Maths 2U
Maths in Focus 1

Maths Combined 2&3u
Cambridge yr 11
Accelerated Maths Learning 2&3U
Essentials of Mathematics 1 by Terry Lee
Excel Extension 1 Prelim
3 Unit Mathematics by jones, couchman

Modern History
Key features of modern history by dennet
Macquarie prelim modern history
Excel HSC modern history

English
Excel english prelim

Physics:
Physics in context
Jacaranda Physics
Excel Prelim physics

Chemistry
Chemistry Contexts
Conquring Chem

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Whoa dude, are they your schools texts or your own? If I had that much, they'd probably live lives as pretty shelf decorations :lol:

I've got one for all mine too except English, you can't really have one for that can you?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Most of the textbooks i have are mine, for english the text books for yr 11 that you can buy are for skills that will be learnt in the prelim course. You wont do well if u dont have more than one text book for each subject because each author has his/her strengths and weakness' and also different views and represent subjects and topics differently thus being biast in some ways thats why u must study from a wide range of resources and text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)