#welcome #general-chat (1 Viewer)

electricityzapper

HSC
As for these holidays, I would say enjoy them! I didn't do anything in the year 10 holidays and I went fine. If you feel as though your a bit behind in Maths then maybe revise some of the year 10 content. Other than that have a great holiday, because the next time you have it you'll be studying everyday.
Thanks for the advice!

+
How should my study schedule look like? I don't procrastinate often, but when it does happen- I get stuck in the loop ;-;

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice!

+
How should my study schedule look like? I don't procrastinate often, but when it does happen- I get stuck in the loop ;-;
I didn't really have a timetable but in terms of study schedule if you study 3 hours everyday and that's 3 hours with no procrastination then it's really probably enough. There's also something called the Pomodoro Technique which is really simple and can help beat procrastination.
On the weekends you should do more than 3 per day though.

In terms of a timetable, I didn't have one but I just alternated subjects everyday except for 4u and 3u maths which you really need to spend a lot more time on.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Don't burnout or set yourself unachievable study goals - year 11 is a great opportunity to get into some good habits for the HSC and university. But to get that benefit, you need to build those habits!

I'd recommend setting some consistent plans and sticking to it, what those plans should be really depends on what your current work ethic is like and what your goals are.

electricityzapper

HSC
Don't burnout or set yourself unachievable study goals - year 11 is a great opportunity to get into some good habits for the HSC and university. But to get that benefit, you need to build those habits!
Can you expand on what an unachievable goal looks like? (goals are achievable, right?)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Can you expand on what an unachievable goal looks like? (goals are achievable, right?)
Sure, so when I was finishing year 10 I was intending on spending like 2-3 hours every evening studying and revising for year 11/12. But in year 10 I last minuted everything and never studied, let alone did my homework most of the time. Predictably, that study schedule never happened and my year 12 habits were similar to year 10 and I didn't develop good habits until about a year into uni.

A better and achievable goal for me back then might have been to routinely complete all of my homework and revise each of my subjects at least once a week. That way, I probably would have achieved this goal and could have then set more ambitious goals on top of that for studying during the HSC rather than give up and fall back on my old study habits.

My opinion is that small and achievable goals are an effective way to build good habits. I'm sure others have other ideas and experiences too however.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Dude, my science faculty at school screwed up. Some teachers didn't finish the last module and our school rank dropped from top twenty to top fourty. (or so I heard from the HSC cohort this year.)
What science subject was this?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
True, true. Next 6 years (including uni): head down, pen in hand, work grind -.-
Wellll I mean yeah everyone is always behind one way or another in uni but it's not like a make or break situation like the HSC. Even in the HSC you should take breaks to relax and play video games if you want but this time must be restricted as you can't spend all day like you can in year 10 ;-;

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Wellll I mean yeah everyone is always behind one way or another in uni but it's not like a make or break situation like the HSC. Even in the HSC you should take breaks to relax and play video games if you want but this time must be restricted as you can't spend all day like you can in year 10 ;-;
Oh yeah for sure. Although tbh I don’t have that many games to play in the first place so less of a distraction for my senior years which is good.

uryour

HSC
N/A
This might be a bit of topic and you have probably heard this enough.
BUT I STRESS THAT YOU DO WELL IN ENGLISH.
As a 2019er it pushed my ATAR down way too much.
I did 6 subjects and got 4 B6's (low, low, mid, high), 1 high B5 and a high B4 in English.
Whilst I should have gotten a mid 90's ATAR (I believe at least looking at friends with similar results but got a mid B5 for English). I received a low 90's ATAR. Although it still allowed me to get into my course it might make the difference for some of you guys. So just a heads up, please make sure you do decent in it at least. (My fault for barely studying for it and not listening in class and generally hating the subject).

EDIT: The new course for standard english might be decent scaling. There were more B6's for standard english than english advanced in my school lol. But I go to a low ranked school so maybe research this if you want.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
This might be a bit of topic and you have probably heard this enough.
BUT I STRESS THAT YOU DO WELL IN ENGLISH.
As a 2019er it pushed my ATAR down way too much.
I did 6 subjects and got 4 B6's (low, low, mid, high), 1 high B5 and a high B4 in English.
Whilst I should have gotten a mid 90's ATAR (I believe at least looking at friends with similar results but got a mid B5 for English). I received a low 90's ATAR. Although it still allowed me to get into my course it might make the difference for some of you guys. So just a heads up, please make sure you do decent in it at least. (My fault for barely studying for it and not listening in class and generally hating the subject).
More importantly, probably doing well in all your subjects would be beneficial but thanks for the advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)