Wealthy dominate Selective Schools (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
"poor" and "rich" aren't objective terms this is a terrible discussion

Surely though, what with those places having waiting lists, every parent who sends their children to said school is telling the parents of the child who misses out that they can't do what's best for their child?
By all means though we should degrade others' education so no child is left behind

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Lentern

HSC
"poor" and "rich" aren't objective terms this is a terrible discussion

By all means though we should degrade others' education so no child is left behind
No child left behind? What an innocent and coincidental use of language. Frankly yes but I know nobody is ever going to sit in the lower house uttering communist propaganda like that.

Lentern

HSC
So what if rich kids represent selective schools?

We want an intelligent populus, not a 'victory for the underdog'-esque soapie. Such is life, get on with it. The smart get ahead whether rich or poor.
You nauseating, tawdry, odious piece of feted bourgeoisie scum.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutor'd people dominate Selective Schools.

Even poor Asian families (any poor family really) still send their kids to tuition centres so yeah..... (like mine)
It's a sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned. There are better things money can be spent on by poorer families than sending their kids to tutoring because they don't trust their intellect. It over-inflates a child's performance and they will end up struggling in university (I know it happens).

delian

HSC
N/A
I went to a systemic catholic school. Being poor doesnt stop you from going to a selective school - as Ozko said, the wealthy are misrepresented because on average, wealthy people provide their children with a greater atmosphere and resources to succeed. But all that is peripheral to success - in order for a person to succeed, they must be driven and have some form of natural intelligence. Once they have these attributes, thats when having supportive parents and other factors come into play.
+1

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
let me guess central planner lentern

you think that more kids need to go to university, right

Lentern

HSC
let me guess central planner lentern

you think that more kids need to go to university, right
University is a different kettle of fish all together, by that stage a person is pretty much responsible for creating their own opportunities, primary school children are not.

Garygaz

HSC
wealth is just modern day evolution at work

:)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was from a selective high school and I'm proud of it. I've done reasonably well out of it and I now pay my fair share of taxes to the government to support the next generation of people in public schools including selectives. Being in a selective school by no means guarantees future success in any shape or form. Just like going to university.

Offering an environment which focuses on academia as opposed to sports or some other belief or focus should not be shunned, taxed or levied. It's no different to any other focussed environment whether it be a school, or heck, een a dancing academy.

ps. I agree with everything OzKo said above so no need for me to merely repeat what has already been said.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I was from a selective high school and I'm proud of it. I've done reasonably well out of it and I now pay my fair share of taxes to the government to support the next generation of people in public schools including selectives. Being in a selective school by no means guarantees future success in any shape or form. Just like going to university.

Offering an environment which focuses on academia as opposed to sports or some other belief or focus should not be shunned, taxed or levied. It's no different to any other focussed environment whether it be a school, or heck, een a dancing academy.

ps. I agree with everything OzKo said above so no need for me to merely repeat what has already been said.
If nothing else, it does make it 90 times easier to get a university scholarship.

Especially shit like UNSW Co op. Only selective/private school people get into that.

$15 000/yr for the life of the degree plus interships, work experience and a pretty good chance of going straight into a job when you graduate etc etc. Get that and you are completely set for life.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If nothing else, it does make it 90 times easier to get a university scholarship.

Especially shit like UNSW Co op. Only selective/private school people get into that.

$15 000/yr for the life of the degree plus interships, work experience and a pretty good chance of going straight into a job when you graduate etc etc. Get that and you are completely set for life.
What? No it doesn't.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

You,re quite.obviously forgetting the bazillion uni schemes for those coming from financial disadvantage

HSC
N/A
You,re quite.obviously forgetting the bazillion uni schemes for those coming from financial disadvantage
There are hardly any, no where near the amount of Co op scholarships they give out. Also, they pay far less. It's like probably a one off payment of $4000 or something.

Also, a fair few of them are for people that live far away from UNSW, that still doesn't exclude wealthy. Seriously, you chose where you wanted to live, if you live no where near unsw then don't come here.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
There are hardly any, no where near the amount of Co op scholarships they give out. Also, they pay far less. It's like probably a one off payment of $4000 or something.

Also, a fair few of them are for people that live far away from UNSW, that still doesn't exclude wealthy. Seriously, you chose where you wanted to live, if you live no where near unsw then don't come here.
you had me going until "chose where you live"

so I'll give you 3/10 that's the best I can do

Kent12

HSC
N/A
Lentern you are a bender. Furthermore I too believe that white Australian students are disadvantaged by the percieved 'academic superiority' of other races. It's a harmful mentality, and not a racist one

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Come on man, you know it doesn't work like that. Housing costs money. Money is not unlimited. People are confined to the boundaries of their wealth when making a decision as to where they live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)