We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employee (1 Viewer)

Scissors

HSC
seriously though, what can indonesia offer us? why is the government so quick to chuck money their way when we're in desperate need for it?

Scissors

HSC
SOMEBODY GIVE ME A FUCKING STRAIGHT ANSWER!

i'm actually interested about this.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
lol we pay them not to invade us right :p
I think we could take them pretty easily. ;)

I'm thinking more about good trade relations and pure altruism.

True, we could probably improve a few more lives in Australia with a few extra billion on healthcare, but we spend so much there already it's subject to diminishing returns. Whereas aid to developing countries has direct benefits to the lives of thousands of people.

It's a balancing game, and while I rank healthcare funding pretty highly up there, I don't think it's worth cutting international aid to accomplish that.

Besides, it gives us somewhat more clout over their future development.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Scissors said:
SOMEBODY GIVE ME A FUCKING STRAIGHT ANSWER!

i'm actually interested about this.
Because otherwise how are their authoritarian rulers going to furnish their palaces?

JClamp

Banned
HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

Trefoil said:
The healthcare system is in decent shape relative to the rest of the (Western) world.

That doesn't actually mean it's in good shape, just that it's not as shit as the rest of the world's.
What are you basing your opinion off then, Trefoil? It is in a very decent shape. If there's something else that needs money badly, then it probably deserves it over the health budget at the moment. As it stands success rates are pretty high, mortality rates are low, customer satisfaction rates (read that in Reader's Digest today) are quite high and it's cheap for the user.

As for raising funding, I heard Gillard mention today in parliament that the government has raised funding for it, in stark contrast to the business that went on during the past 12 years. I don't know how truthful she was being, of course.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

JClamp said:
What are you basing your opinion off then, Trefoil? It is in a very decent shape. If there's something else that needs money badly, then it probably deserves it over the health budget at the moment. As it stands success rates are pretty high, mortality rates are low, customer satisfaction rates (read that in Reader's Digest today) are quite high and it's cheap for the user.

As for raising funding, I heard Gillard mention today in parliament that the government has raised funding for it, in stark contrast to the business that went on during the past 12 years. I don't know how truthful she was being, of course.
Well, my mother's a nurse, so I'm guessing she'd know a bit about the state of the healthcare system, if you catch my drift.

And this: http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE4AB0M220081112
And this: http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2008/s2418639.htm

It's not the Reader's Digest, but you know, I hope it's acceptable. :p

I would like a source on that funding increase you claim, though. Last I heard NSW Labour was cutting healthcare funding even further.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Well I work for health, so I'm guessing I know more about it than you spacktards combined.

It's fucked. The entire system is fucked.

LOL IT'S IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE COMPARED TO ETHIOPIA THOUGH GUYZ!

Fuckwits.

wagga

HSC
JClamp said:
Agriculture is not going to last in Australia. Global warming will drive dry areas even drier. Encouraging Australia to move towards a manufacturing based economy is hardly a bad thing. Cars can be an integral part of this.
No, irrigation in Australia won't last. We probably won't be growing cotton or rice for much longer. But all that means is we will shift to less water intensive crops such as wheat and livestock - hell, we already farm cattle in what is basically desert.

There are two issues here - firstly, ultimately we need food, obviously. Secondly, the car market is saturated already, there are plenty of efficient manufacturers overseas, hence there is little chance Australia will ever be able to develop a self sustaining car industry.

boris

Banned
HSC
JClamp you know nothing about anything you have spoken about.

If agriculture in australia isn't going to last, then the rest of the world is fucked. yes if global warming makes it too dry to farm wheat at bourke or cobar or hay lol then it will just have to shift inland to areas that are currently unsuitable for it like orange, armidale etc. you're a tard.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^Rainfall is set to decrease in hot, dry climates whereas it's set to increase everywhere else.

Most of Australia's ag is in hot, dry climate zones ain't it? Yer. I reckon they're right bout the agriculture thing.

boris

Banned
HSC
yar but even if rainfall was to halve out west (400ml to 200ml etc) it would still be viable because of the range it can grow in. and if rainfall was to increase in other areas then we could just adapt farming practices? rice etc towards to coast. instead of at leeton lol. they farm in northern SA and its pretty fucking dry there. i dunno, i just think they will be able to adapt.

wagga

HSC
All the farming stuff is largely diversionary; but on topic, I think there are two questions that should be asked:
Firstly, is Australia's car sector ever likely to be self - sustaining? I don't believe so, as it has been established for a reasonable period of time and still needs protection; it is well past the infant industry stage and yet is still not self sustaining.
Secondly, do we need a car industry? Again, I don't believe so, as there are plenty of car manufacturers world wide, many of whom are far more efficient at producing cars than Holden, Ford and Toyota.

boris

Banned
HSC
wagga said:
All the farming stuff is largely diversionary; but on topic, I think there are two questions that should be asked:
Firstly, is Australia's car sector ever likely to be self - sustaining? I don't believe so, as it has been established for a reasonable period of time and still needs protection; it is well past the infant industry stage and yet is still not self sustaining.
Secondly, do we need a car industry? Again, I don't believe so, as there are plenty of car manufacturers world wide, many of whom are far more efficient at producing cars than Holden, Ford and Toyota.
More efficient than Toyota?

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah you should probably get over you unfounded hatred of capitalism ay

ASNSWR127

HSC
boris said:
yeah you should probably get over you unfounded hatred of capitalism ay
pretty sure that wasn't very good practice of capitalism 'baling out' failed companies

as usual i was simply pointing out a very obvious hypocrisy in people's thinking...

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah, no, i think the people making the decisions would know whats better for everyone than someone who only just finished their hsc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)