Watson captain for sure (1 Viewer)

hscishard

HSC
Heck, I consider myself better than Doherty =P

And I can't even hit the wicket!
I kinda know your point but most wickets in international(and the higher grades) cricket are catches. Bowling a batsmen out is pretty hard without any swing or deviation(after bounce). So you kind of have more luck to bowl it almost wide and hope the batter mis-times his shot and get him caught lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True, though I meant the "I can't hit a wicket" thing as a metaphor for "I'm not very accurate - if I'm on your team, please don't pick me to bowl =P"

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Ever since Kemar Roach bowled that nice ball that bruised his arm, he's never been the same.

bogert

HSC
Watson is still so young for captaincy.I consider him after Clark.

halapenyo

HSC
watson opens the batting and bowls a considerable amount of overs most of the time. there is no way he would have the energy or time to captain the team. also due to his injuries, the selectors might choose to use him sparingly for major series. for example, keeping him fit for the 10 test matches against england next year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
We're playing 10 tests against England next year?

Kent12

HSC
N/A
Watson eats schlong, you can't have a man at captain that has just come back from serious injury. You also cannot have a man that referred to himself as equal in allrounder status of Jaques Kallis, Freddie Flintoff, Sir Garfield Sobers and Imran Khan captaining your team, as he obviously has no idea about cricket. He needs to focus on his game at the moment and let the more experienced members of the squad do their job. When you've spent time with the players and understood their group dynamic, as I have, then you will understand what I mean

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Watson eats schlong, you can't have a man at captain that has just come back from serious injury. You also cannot have a man that referred to himself as equal in allrounder status of Jaques Kallis, Freddie Flintoff, Sir Garfield Sobers and Imran Khan captaining your team, as he obviously has no idea about cricket. He needs to focus on his game at the moment and let the more experienced members of the squad do their job. When you've spent time with the players and understood their group dynamic, as I have, then you will understand what I mean
Haddin can tell you all about it

Kent12

HSC
N/A
Haddin got dropped, sucked in....saw it coming a long way off.

Lentern

HSC
I don't have a problem with a bowler/all rounder or keeper being captain but the fact that someone is playing well doesn't translate to them being captain. Case in point might be Michael Vaughn whom is widely regarded as England's best captain in decades was being massively outshone by Strauss, Pietersen and Flintoff for most of his captaincy. Likewise although he was still a competent player Steve Waugh was very much a support player for Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne and Mcgrath for much of his captaincy.

Kent12

HSC
N/A
None of the two players above were all rounders......
A captain's own performance has a huge effect on his team. But that doesnt mean he has to be the best player. In Vaughn's case you are comparing a very average batsman, to Pietersen (an English great), Strauss and flintoff (a fine all rounder). Your comparison is even worse in the case of Steve Waugh, where you compare him to a great opener, the 4th best batsman of all time, the best wicketkeeper batsman of all time, the best legspinner of all time, and one of the top 3 pacemen of all time. If you do not perform as a captain, your team will not succeed.

And anyway, Strauss and Hussain have played against harder opposition, and have been better captains

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
its not ponting's fault the rest of his team sucked arse as well. drop warner imo, hes been a pretty big disappointment.

Lentern

HSC
None of the two players above were all rounders......
A captain's own performance has a huge effect on his team. But that doesnt mean he has to be the best player. In Vaughn's case you are comparing a very average batsman, to Pietersen (an English great), Strauss and flintoff (a fine all rounder). Your comparison is even worse in the case of Steve Waugh, where you compare him to a great opener, the 4th best batsman of all time, the best wicketkeeper batsman of all time, the best legspinner of all time, and one of the top 3 pacemen of all time. If you do not perform as a captain, your team will not succeed.

And anyway, Strauss and Hussain have played against harder opposition, and have been better captains
I'm sure you've made a counterpoint in there somewhere, feel free to clarify what it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)