Was there a syllabus change? (1 Viewer)

pomsky

HSC
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if there was a syllabus change for MX1 during the early - mid 2000s? Any long-term trends? Also, how often does greater term/ coefficient pop up? Someone mentioned to me that they never put it in..

Thanks guys! And sorry for all the questions ahahahaha ( i'll be out of your hair by Monday : ) )

photastic

HSC
Nope, no change since 1984, but will be a new change effectively in 2016-17.

pomsky

HSC
Thanks Phota :)

Anything on trends? Haha (or is there just a trend towards easier papers)

photastic

HSC

It's really difficult to determine if an exam is ACTUALLY easier than the other due to different cohorts but based on the statistics, e.g. For Mathematics Extension 1 there has been an increase in percent of the cohort doing the subject earning band 6 (few declines like 2009), where the declines could indicate a difficult paper but really depends on the alignment for that year and the cohort of course.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Yeah the papers are apparently getting easier not just in terms of difficulty but the wording of the question; you'll notice with the earlier papers that the wording of the papers were very ambiguous and it's difficult to pick out what they're looking for - they'd also allocate marks for the overall part such as 5 marks for 5a) but they wouldn't allocate them individually to part i, ii, ii, etc. so it's also gotten easier to know where can you grab marks

photastic

HSC
Yeah the papers are apparently getting easier not just in terms of difficulty but the wording of the question; you'll notice with the earlier papers that the wording of the papers were very ambiguous and it's difficult to pick out what they're looking for - they'd also allocate marks for the overall part such as 5 marks for 5a) but they wouldn't allocate them individually to part i, ii, ii, etc. so it's also gotten easier to know where can you grab marks
Actually if you read the marking criteria/exam report for the old papers, they do allocate marks individually for parts i, ii, iii, etc its just they hide it which makes it more interesting.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Actually if you read the marking criteria/exam report for the old papers, they do allocate marks individually for parts i, ii, iii, etc its just they hide it which makes it more interesting.
:blink2:

I had no idea they allocated it in the marking criteria :O (I have the success one book that goes back to the 1980's papers so I haven't checked BOSTES's solutions)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)