Was Text 3, Section 1 a Dog or Human?? (1 Viewer)

Was it text 3(the poem) from section 1 about a dog or human??

• Total voters

D.White

Banned
HSC
Re: The Poem Was About A Dog?

respect90 said:
Yes you're right, it won't impact on your actual UAI or HSC mark, because i'm assuming you justified your reasons for it being a dog =)

I was discussing how the markers mark.
You are discussing how you BELIEVE the markers should mark.
So clearly we are on two different levels.

Point of the story?
ENGLISH IS OVER =)
Jesus learn to read. He said it WASN'T a dog.

The markers mark based on coherency. If someone comes in and says IT WAS ABOUT A DOG they will get some marks if they justify it, but if they honestly give them full marks then there is something very wrong with this society. Only a mentally retarded person would say such a thing, and we would not reward them.

matthewford said:
Exactly!
English is over.
So who cares anymore?

:wave:
Well, given that it still affects your UAI...

2S1D3

HSC

Genshin said:
everyone who couldnt see the extended dog metaphor is a retard.

/fail.

why would he mention "beagles" if there was no dog metaphor - it wasnt about a dog literally - but he used the dogs smelling scent as a metaphor for memory blah blah blah

yew techniques ftw
Fucking Biology fucked me up I thought the beagle was a reference to Charles Darwin's ship, HMAS Beagle...but the whole dog thing is clearly a metaphor, but as long as there is a good argument I can't wonder why the markers wont give full marks to the student?

respect90

HSC
OH lol
My bad =P
But seriously english is over so let's let this go lol.

WE HAVE HSC FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS YET WE MANAGE TO FIND TIME TO ARGUE IN FORUMS LOL

Even boredofstudies is becoming some form of networking site lol.

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
@Scatlover999

How can your aunt possibly know the marking scheme at this point?
I doubt they've even begun processing the papers.

More to the point, it asked what the text is saying about returning to the place one grew up. While you wouldn't lose marks for noting it was a dog (which it quite possibly was, I didn't see that but I wasn't in the mood for metaphors that morning), the question is likely a band 3-4 question, and so picking up a metaphor such as that seems a bit extravagant for full marks to be awarded in band 3. It did not ask for the techniques used to express this, as 1(d) did. Therefore, I think we can safely say that the fact that it may in fact be a metaphor or anything representing a dog is irrelevant. What's more likely to get you full marks? "The text is saying that going back to your home town is like being a dog" or a clear answer justifying your reasons. Metaphor irrelevant. Hmm.

End of topic, I must move on to Legal.

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
He used smell and the dog as a metaphor to add depth to his expression of memory.
Agreed?
Excellent :) Metaphorical dog.

Dog's can't write poetry anyway.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
i agree with may-cat. texts are open to interpretation.
personally i think it was figurative language and the poem wasn't written from a dog's perspective per se.
but that's my opinion & it's no more valid than anyone else's.

emlz91

HSC
the dog was a metaphor for the human who was on the journey

its because dogs have a keen sense of smell...when the human was on his journey back to darwin (his home town) he went nose first because he was on his way home

when he was looking for more adventure he went nose last so that he would retain the smell and be able to remember his home town - it fits in with darwin and cyclone tracy...because the whole town had changed due to the cyclone in the 25 years the journeyer had been away he wanted to remember it in case it changed again

extended metaphor

fits in with the quetsion for that text...something about what returning home means to a journeyer??

so yeah...definitely NOT a dog

AjMB

HSC

-may-cat- said:
Its not an essay, it does not require you to fully understand every aspect of the text, just the specific part it asks for. If the reflections are from a dogs point of veiw, but they are still damn good reflection responses, i see no reason why they shouldnt get full marks. Texts can be interpreted very differently, people are still arguing about shit like this with hamlet.
It's not so much about multiple interpretations...if you wrote that it was a dog, it just highlights that you couldn't understand the metaphor figuratively, and i'm pretty sure one of the reasons they threw in a relatively difficult text like the poem was to gauge our ability to understand metaphors.

Last edited:

Lauren22

HSC

TomTomtruck said:
I think it was about a dog, at some part it said wagging of a tail or some crap.
The wagging tail was a metaphor for the happiness and elation the guy felt returning to his home town after so many years of change.

I agree it was a weird poem, I had to read it a few times to get the meanings and techniques.

For the comparitive (e) I used text 2 and 4, I thought they were the easiest and best technically to analyse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)