Want to compare multiple-choice answers? (1 Viewer)

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
@matty fwd - Question 9 is the only one upped for debate.

I don't know about homopolar or whatever generator but I think we only need to know AC and DC Generators for the HSC Physics syllabus, unless I missed a dotpoint or two in section 9.1 of syllabus or third column.

yankyfly

HSC
suchet_i said:
i got 15/15 if i got Q9 rite .. i put down C ... and reading back again and again and even after looking at explanations here i still think its C

9 is not C. Using the right hand rule the magnetic field goes from north to south. And the motion through it from right to left. So thr conventional current gets pushed down and around. The only contention could be as to whether no current was flowing at all. But since everyone else here has confirmed that current flows, the answer is B. even my physics teacher said it was b

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Good then. ;)
This is the most correct answer according to the majority of BoSers. Take this as official until the Board of Studies releases the actual answers. So if you want to mark yours, use this:
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. B
5. D
6. A
7. D
8. A
9. B
10. A
11. A
12. C
13. D
14. C
15. A

StYlez-

HSC
someone explain to me why 10 is A again, i still dont get it.

Desiree

HSC
  1. C
  2. C
  3. D
  4. B
  5. C (i couldn't decide between C and D, enny menny minny moe)
  6. A
  7. B
  8. B
  9. C
  10. B
  11. A
  12. C
  13. D
  14. C
  15. B (enny menny)

Lachdog

HSC
Yeh i don't understand how 10 could be a either?

Transformers run with AC.

My answers were: 1 c 2 b 3 d 4 b 5 d 6 a 7 d 8 a 9 d 10 d 11 a 12 c 13 d 14 c 15 a.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
Altough I put 10 d as well, its wrong. 10 is a as while the transformer is turned on there is back emf in the wire which means the voltage will gradually rise to a maximun. This constitutes a changing magnet flux which will cause voltage in the secondary coil when it is being turned on and off.
The cell, is a battery therfore it must be DC. Which means while its running it will have a constant voltage.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
Again while I put B for question 8 it is actually A.
magnetic flux is defined by (B{perpendicular to}A) therefore when the coil is initially at right angles magnetic flux is a maximun. When it is parrelle, no area is being threaded through the field so A becomes zero and flux is zero at 90 degrees.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
the only question that is in doubt is question 9.
I personally put A.
This appartatus is the same that functions in a electromagnetic break, it produces eddy currents within the wheel.
What I fail to see is why these currents should travel trough a loaded wire at all, where there is greater resistance. shouldn't they remain within the wheel travelling in two circles completeing the circiut and releasing heat by doing so.
What reason is there to sugest that the current will move through the wire.
That was my reasoning, however some people came up with an interent site suggesting that this does produce a current. In which case I don't doubt that i'm wrong. But if anyone could explain the flaw in my reasoning i would be grateful.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
just for anyone whiose interested heres a rough sample of how most of us seem to have gone in the exam.

1. C C C C C C C A C C C
2. B B B B B B B B B B B
3. D D D D
C D D D D D D
4. B B B B
A B B B B B B
5. D D D D
B D D D B D D
6. A A A A A A A A A A A
7. D D D C B D C B B C D
B C B A B A A A B A A
A A B B D D B B B D C
D A D B B D A A B D A
11. A A A A A A A A A A A
12. C C C C C C C C C C C
13. D D D D D D D D D D D
14. C C
A C C C C C D C C
B A A A A A D A D A A

1. C C C C C C C C C B C
2. B B
D B B B B B B A B
3. D D D D D D D D D
C D
4. B B B B B
C B B D C B
5. D D D D D D
C D A B D
6. A
C A A A A A A A B A
7. D
C D D C C C C C D D
B B B A A B A A A B A
9. B
D B D A A B B B A B
10. A
D A A A D A D D C A
11. A A A A A A A A A
B A
12. C C C
D C D C C C A C
13. D C D D D D D D B D
D
14. C C C C C C C C
B A C
15. A
B A A B A A A A C A

Green are correct answers with perhaps question 9 being different

Red are when students got a wrong answer

So there were out of the first 21 students to reply:

5 fourteens
6 thirteens
2 twelves
1 eleven
2 tens
3 nines
1 two

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol, i got either 12-13/15 for mc
13 if 9 is b ^_^

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Nice Lockhart. Thanks for tabulating them. Note that there are some incorrect answers that you didn't make it red. (question 7 and 13).

Questions 7, 8, 9 and 10 pose to be the most problematic ones.
So no one got full mark?

meekzy89

HSC
1. c
2. b
3. d
4. b
5. b [i kno this is wrong]
6. a
7. c
8. b
9. c [my hand rule didnt work.. or something]
10. a [i think its wrong]
11. a
12. c
13. d
14. c
15. a

umm i think i got 11/15... dammit!!

fizzwizz

HSC
N/A
Hi The correct answer to this q is B I think.Use Lenz's law to answer it, and we will take answer C to show that it is incorrect.

If current goes through globe from X to Y then a current moves upwards from brush Y to the handle. Now think of this current as a current in a single conductor pointing upwards, passing through the magnetic field which is directed from left to right. Now use the right hand push rule: current up, fingers pointing left to right................this produces a force on the conductor (disc) into the page. But it is already moving into the page (at the bootom) so this force would increase its jmotion, not decrease its motion as required by lenzs law. A force has got to act on the conductor pushing it out of the field, as it enters the field. Using current flow downwards from handle to brush Y gives you this force. So answer is B.

:)

switchfootfan

HSC
yeah thinking around 11-13 for mc]
1c
2b
3d *i think i put that*
4b
5a (i know i screwed up- dont know how i got that....)
6a (its either a or b and i dont think it attracts)
7b (i think its c, your right)
8a (its flux)
9borc (cant remember- think it might have been b that i put- hope so)
10c (this is open to debate- i pritty sure you can get dc transformers)
11a (obviously)
12c
13d
14c (E=v/d and perpecx does not conduct electricity)
15a (v=wavelegthx frequency)
thats what i got

meekzy89

HSC
fizzwizz said:
Hi The correct answer to this q is B I think.Use Lenz's law to answer it, and we will take answer C to show that it is incorrect.

If current goes through globe from X to Y then a current moves upwards from brush Y to the handle. Now think of this current as a current in a single conductor pointing upwards, passing through the magnetic field which is directed from left to right. Now use the right hand push rule: current up, fingers pointing left to right................this produces a force on the conductor (disc) into the page. But it is already moving into the page (at the bootom) so this force would increase its jmotion, not decrease its motion as required by lenzs law. A force has got to act on the conductor pushing it out of the field, as it enters the field. Using current flow downwards from handle to brush Y gives you this force. So answer is B.

:)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG i know what ive done! .. i used my left hand.. cuz i was friken WRITING with my right
LOL!!!!!

omggg can i get any more stupider! BAHAHA!!!
thankuu

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
7 is D because you have to use pythagoras to calculate the diagonal length AND also sin 90 NOT sin 45. If you use either pythagoras but sin 45 OR sin 90 but not pythagoras, then you get C which is incorrect.

eX-Bhai

HSC
XcarvengerX said:
7 is D because you have to use pythagoras to calculate the diagonal length AND also sin 90 NOT sin 45. If you use either pythagoras but sin 45 OR sin 90 but not pythagoras, then you get C which is incorrect.
that is incorrect. The answer is C

By using basic trig, Sin 45 = 0.4 / L
Therefore 0.4 = L.sin45

By using the formula F = BILsin@

B = 0.5 T
A = 3 A
Lsin@ = 0.4

Therefore F = 0.6 N

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
eX-Bhai said:
that is incorrect. The answer is C

By using basic trig, Sin 45 = 0.4 / L
Therefore 0.4 = L.sin45

By using the formula F = BILsin@

B = 0.5 T
A = 3 A
Lsin@ = 0.4

Therefore F = 0.6 N
The bold line is the part where you got it wrong. Look at the diagram again. The conductor is already perpendicular to the magnetic field line, therefore you use sin 90. The 45 degree is to indicate that the conductor is indeed passing through as the diagonal of the square magnetic field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)