Vista or XP (1 Viewer)

pulsado

HSC
Im looking to buy a laptop, i dont know whether to invest in vista or xp. I've heard vista has been having a bit of problems especially with the administrative rights. What are the pros and cons of each?
I also have microsoft office 2003, which i believe is a much better edition than 2007, anyway would i be able to load this onto a vista laptop?
Thanks

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I personally like both XP and vista and i know people who have it and they have said they prefer vista. There has apparently been good improvements with the introduction of SP1. However you can not run anyother office versions other then 2007 on vista as far as i know. I personally think (and i am assuming you think different) that 2007 is a great improvement to 2003 once you get used to it. So overall vista is good once you get used to it. Eventually you will most likely have to change anyway. Look into to things like the printers you have and check compatabilty also. If you really dont like vista you can downgrade (mostly)

In my opinion get either Vista or a mac(in which u can run both)

sycho936

HSC
XP all the way, vista is complete screw up by microsoft it sucks........ too many compatibility issues, and hardware conflicts whilst running vista, stick with XP

XP ftw

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
You will have a hard time to find one with XP now and you are going to have to up grade anyway. The actual OS of Vista is now quite good.

You could do something radical and get a mac. They run leopard and Windows...

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I guess it really depends on what you want to do. The only reason I would install Vista is so I could use DX10 (for better graphics in some games), and perhaps just to see for my self what its like. PS. I would really recommend installing a small linux partition. It comes in really handy if XP or Vista completely dies (or you have a virus).

michael1990

HSC
I love my XP.
Its awesome.
I had Vista and i thought it was terrible besides the graphics they were cool.

I have 2007 Office but haven't installed it yet. I will eventually but they say that is a real improvement.

Overall I HATE Vista. So i will stick with my XP until i know that Vista has improved dramically.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I love MS Office 2007. Much better than 2003, imo. The UI takes about a day to get used to. After that everything is much simpler and faster. Unfortunately MS Office ain't available for linux, so i can't use it atm.

MTP

HSC
Get Xp now and wait til everything/everyone decides to swap to vista. Not many things are compatible with Vista atm. So just be a patient bugger and get XP.

michael1990

HSC
MTP said:
Get Xp now and wait til everything/everyone decides to swap to vista. Not many things are compatible with Vista atm. So just be a patient bugger and get XP.
The price will also drop for Vista soon.

michael1990

HSC
me121 said:
I love MS Office 2007. Much better than 2003, imo. The UI takes about a day to get used to. After that everything is much simpler and faster. Unfortunately MS Office ain't available for linux, so i can't use it atm.
I used to like Linux.
I HATE Macs. Except for um...Movies and such.

MTP

HSC
michael1990 said:
The price will also drop for Vista soon.
Awesome. problem is, i basically need to get a new computer if i want to convert to Vista :(.

michael1990

HSC
MTP said:
Awesome. problem is, i basically need to get a new computer if i want to convert to Vista :(.
Nah. Just go to a computer shop and upgrade somethings.
Such as Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics Card.

Save whatever you can from the last computer.

Evilo

HSC
first of all, dont get mac OS.

XP is good, but its time to upgrade. Now that SP1 vista has come out, most of the bugs are gone. To the people who say "xp is too hard to understand", you guys are seriously weak. The only major difference is the indexing service (i.e. live search - ike itunes) on the start menu. Other than that, its just shiny shit that makes a visible difference. I like vista - and after hearing all these whinging people on the interwebz, i never thought i'd say that until i actually got an upgrade.

However if you're "too good" for microsoft/a massive nerd - get linux.

/thread.

charmedquark

HSC
Firstly there's nothing wrong with OSX - if you're willing to settle for vista then you should be cheering for OSX as let's face it, vista is just a crude copy of OSX.

As for whether to get Vista or XP - there is nothing that Vista has over XP to my knowledge. In fact Vista will make your computer run slower than it would with XP and there are a variety of things that are not yet compatible with Vista. I'd get XP for sure.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I Don't mind mac OSX at all. I think it is good.
I also like my XP and vista though.

play around with all of them and see what you like better.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i still remember when XP was first introduced. people were skeptical about using it. and u could remember people saying

"Don't get XP! it's a resource hog! win 98 is better. blah blah blah"

now replace Xp with Vista, and 98 with XP.
it's the same thing, current computer technology can run vista without too much lag.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
if you are going ot get vista i would say get 2GB of RAM

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I changed to mac because I didn't want to use Vista... but I still don't particularly support OSX. You still need windows for games, there are windows programs without mac alternatives, and it is a lot more expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)