Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
The phrase "strike off their heads" is actually more synonymous with "argue vigorously with", right?
did you read the next line of the Surah?

"And afterwards let there either be free dismissals or ransomings, till the war hath laid down its burdens. "

clearly its referring to killing an opponent in the context of a war, not arbitrary slaughter.

Bob downe

HSC
The phrase "strike off their heads" is actually more synonymous with "argue vigorously with", right?
There's plenty of violence in the bible too, doesn't mean Christianity isn't a peaceful religion

Debauchee

HSC
There's plenty of violence in the bible too, doesn't mean Christianity isn't a peaceful religion
the point is people are saying the actions of muslim extremists are not condoned by the teachings of islam

christians don't go nuts every time they see an offensive youtube video (or else we'd be long dead) so it doesnt matter what the bible says (in this regard)

RANK 1

HSC
christianity has adapted to the changing world and evolved their image to a peaceful religion in the modern world which is a contributor to its success

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
the point is people are saying the actions of muslim extremists are not condoned by the teachings of islam

christians don't go nuts every time they see an offensive youtube video (or else we'd be long dead) so it doesnt matter what the bible says (in this regard)
I agree but tbh this is more attributable to the following rather than the religion itself:

1) A lot of Muslim countries have a poorer level of education. Many extremists tend to be uneducated people who have no developed capability to think logically and are dictated entirely by the conservative beliefs of their equally uneducated households and the manipulations of self-interested mullahs.

2) This has a flow on effect into many Muslim immigrants who still possess this mentality. Many youth adopt an extremist mentality in an effort to prove to their parents and community that they still maintain their (stupid) principles. Some also fall back on religion when it is criticised in an attempt to reinforce their beliefs to themselves and often fall to extremes.

I guess what I'm saying is that imo there is no problem with Islam itself, but there is a problem with the global Muslim community as many elements of it are intolerant of progress and adaptation. Not to mention their beliefs are not really based on a sincere belief in the religion but rather to adhere to the status quo of their community and extremist behaviour is often interpreted by these elements as "proof" of what makes a good Muslim. This is a mentality that needs to be changed, but unfortunately it will be very difficult

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
If you talk to the members of the Muslim community who act in this destructive and abhorrent manner you begin to realise that often they just use religion as an excuse to unleash their frustration at political tensions from their countries. Often the anger has very little to do with religion and more to do with political issues they seem to have and they simply use religion as a poor justification for their actions in projecting their political agenda.

In other words, often extremists are pretty much composed of self-serving mullahs who brainwash a bunch of uneducated or pressured people (often youth) into doing stupid shit by masking their political intentions by feeding these people crap about someone or another attacking their religion.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes we should have gone to war because of people support somebody who killed what - 3,000 people. 3,000 people is NOTHING and there are far bigger killers out there that our efforts would be better directed to
Yes. It is not the number of people that died though, it is that so many people of a particular religion support terrorism against the Western world.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I agree but tbh this is more attributable to the following rather than the religion itself:

1) A lot of Muslim countries have a poorer level of education. Many extremists tend to be uneducated people who have no developed capability to think logically and are dictated entirely by the conservative beliefs of their equally uneducated households and the manipulations of self-interested mullahs.

2) This has a flow on effect into many Muslim immigrants who still possess this mentality. Many youth adopt an extremist mentality in an effort to prove to their parents and community that they still maintain their (stupid) principles. Some also fall back on religion when it is criticised in an attempt to reinforce their beliefs to themselves and often fall to extremes.

I guess what I'm saying is that imo there is no problem with Islam itself, but there is a problem with the global Muslim community as many elements of it are intolerant of progress and adaptation. Not to mention their beliefs are not really based on a sincere belief in the religion but rather to adhere to the status quo of their community and extremist behaviour is often interpreted by these elements as "proof" of what makes a good Muslim. This is a mentality that needs to be changed, but unfortunately it will be very difficult
I can accept those points. The trouble is though (as you also alluded too), how do we change it and who is going to be brave enough to stand up for Australia and do it?

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I can accept those points. The trouble is though (as you also alluded too), how do we change it and who is going to be brave enough to stand up for Australia and do it?
It'll have to be more of a generational change. There are multiple facets to it

1) Progressive Muslims who appreciate the values of human beings around the world and yet still adhere to their religion need to be more representative. Unfortunately, there are very few of these people because a lot of Muslims in my generation are either strictly conservative because their parents and community (ridiculously) pressure them into it, others are just Muslim by name but actually don't adhere to Islamic values.
2) Wide-scale political reform (in some cases, revolution) in many Muslim countries. This needs to include educational reform which places more emphasis on learning essential stuff like maths, science etc. rather than religious education. Religion should be a purely personal decision, not something drummed into you by the education system or your community.

But these things are easier said than done.

Bob downe

HSC
Yes. It is not the number of people that died though, it is that so many people of a particular religion support terrorism against the Western world.
Terrorism which isn't really killing that many people to worry about at the expense of all other things

Garygaz

HSC
you see

i don't get it, wtf is a 'progressive muslim' or a progressive anything for that matter

'well look, this book we follow was literally the word of god 2000 years ago, but today it is only the metaphorical word of god'

pat on the back for being so progressive.

Blurgh

HSC
I really tried to refrain myself from viewing this thread because I knew exactly what was within, and boy was I right.

I, as a Muslim, am absolutely appalled by the reaction of the Muslims. On behalf of the Muslims who actually follow the teachings of Islam (peace) - I apologise.

This is a definite 'Don't feel the trolls' scenario.

Bob downe

HSC
Terrorism which isn't really killing that many people to worry about at the expense of all other things
Deadly serious (lol pun)

I think we've given up way too much both in terms of freedom, time a s money in the name of stopping something that isn't that big a threat.

At its peak terrorism worldwide killed 13,000 people in one year the WHO estimates 1,000,000 every year die don suicide - if you want to compare it with preventable deaths.

RANK 1

HSC

but the problem is religion unlike science isnt free to adapt as they're all supposedly have come from god himself and hence any change to the original religion would be changing gods will

Magical Kebab

HSC
I am a muslim myself, and I and my family are disgusted with this. These idiots protesting are fucked, this is wrong.
There is a portion of our religion who screw it up for the rest, we are not all like this. This action is unnecessary. Bunch of faggots running around when over 90% dont know a thing about their own religion.

quite a shame to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)