Vet Science (1 Viewer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey neon, no need to sound so excited! geez, i am so over the moon, last year i missed out by 0.05 (i know! it sucked big time) but now i am in! yay!

hey, do u reckon if i am an L-Z i can still enrol in the morning with the A-Kers? i will have to ring and find out. maybe i can just not enrol coz i am transferring, i dunno, will wait for the paperwork.

My best friend missed out, she got fee paying and is weighing up her options at the moment, but it doesnt make sense because bothe her uni marks and STAT test marks were better than mine, so i dunno why she didnt get in and i did. hmmm, weird.

izi

HSC
wow, this year there are actually students on BOS that are gonna do vet science. last year i had noone :(

Neon-Frog

Excitement drains out of you at like 3am in the morning :p

Anyone else in my position where the enrollment day is the same day as BDO? Looks like i have to authorise someone for me :mad:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Originally posted by izi
wow, this year there are actually students on BOS that are gonna do vet science. last year i had noone :(
well sorry, i would have given anything to do it last year, not exactly my choice u know....

trinity

hey mambomeg, what did u do last year- animal science or something like that? And is it easy to transfer? My friend missed out this year and she really wants to do vet...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i did animal science last year, it was bloody hard and boring as bat shit and i wouldnt reccommmend it to anyone. Transferring is hard too, like i said, my friend got a distinction average, 99.9 in her stat test and still didnt get in, i dont know how she could have possibly done better.
If your friend seriously wants to do vet, i would reccommend doing a course that she finds easy and could get good marks in, like basic B of science etc, so that she could get the marks required to transfer.

Animal science is not what it is advertised to be, especially in first year, where the closest i came to an animal was disecting rats in biology. You cant transfer any credits from animal science to vet, vet subjects are pretty specific, like you do Chem for Vet rather than just plani chem and stuff. So theres no point doing a hard course like animal science if u are definately gonna transfer and just need good marks

izi

HSC
chemistry for vet science was really boring, useless and everyone hates it
mambomeg if you can get an exemption from it, do so coz you are not gonna learn anything animal related. i thought it was pretty plain chem, just condensed into 1 semester

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i will try, i want to try and get out of redoing biometry too, that was a horrible horrible subject but i dont think i will be able to because i think they look at it from a different angle in vet. Oh well, at least if i cant get an exemption i should find the work easier coz i've done it most before, i dont really care though i'm just so stoked to be doing vet that i dont even care what crappy subjects i have to plough my way through.
yay!

izi

HSC
2nd years have warned us that genetics and biometry is horrible and hard. but then there is animal digestion and nutrition, i have been waiting ages for that subject!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i had to do biometry last year and it sucked big time, i only managed a credit and i worked my ass off in it (coz i needed good marks to transfer).
I was doing work experience in dubbo and one of the young vets there had the same biometry lecturer that i had, and we had a good old bitch about both him and the subject. ahh, its so refreshing to have a good bitch about the things u hate.
Hey izi - i'm assuming i dont have to do any electives in first year, its all set subjects isnt it? i hope so.
I'm gonna try and weasel my way out of chem, and anything else that i can.
Man, its gonna suck in 5 year time when all my ag friends are out in the workforce and i'm still stuck at uni, and its gonna suck in 3rd and 4th yr too coz they will all be down at camden. Damn farms being so far away. Grrr. Hee hee, did u know the uni farms used to be at castle hill? how convienient would that have been?

izi

HSC
its all set subjects for all 5 years, no electives at all which is good coz you dont have anything to worry about
im quiet happy that uni farms are at camden coz i have friends living there and i used to stay over every thursday night so it was pretty convenient

trinity

Originally posted by Mambomeg
yeah i did animal science last year, it was bloody hard and boring as bat shit and i wouldnt reccommmend it to anyone. Transferring is hard too, like i said, my friend got a distinction average, 99.9 in her stat test and still didnt get in, i dont know how she could have possibly done better.
If your friend seriously wants to do vet, i would reccommend doing a course that she finds easy and could get good marks in, like basic B of science etc, so that she could get the marks required to transfer.

Animal science is not what it is advertised to be, especially in first year, where the closest i came to an animal was disecting rats in biology. You cant transfer any credits from animal science to vet, vet subjects are pretty specific, like you do Chem for Vet rather than just plani chem and stuff. So theres no point doing a hard course like animal science if u are definately gonna transfer and just need good marks

eeyore

Originally posted by Mambomeg
Transferring is hard too, like i said, my friend got a distinction average, 99.9 in her stat test and still didnt get in, i dont know how she could have possibly done better.
Stat test is out of 200 isn't it?!

ditzy_llama

Congrats everyone that got in!! Im considering doing vet science after i finish high school (got two years to go) ... can you guys keep me updated on how it all goes and whether it lives up to ur expectations etc ... and if there was any subjects u did for ur hsc that were a complete waste of time for vet sci?? Because I heard from a vet student at melbourne uni that physics and maths werent really that necessary ...

Azn fairies

im doing B science this year ...and i was thinkign of tranfering to vet for next year...any tips?? thx heaps

izi

HSC
i finished first year and so far it has been totally up to my expectations. its been absolutely GREAT! but i wanted to be a vet my whole life. for people that did vet science just coz they missed out on medicine usually dont like (we had two people like that drop out after 1st semester)
although you dont actually do maths in vet science you use the logic you acquired to solve problems (there is a tiny bit of maths). you should definitely do chemistry because you do chemistry for vet in 1st year. i did biology in the hsc and it helped with some of the terminology in cell biology and vet anatomy and physiology.
i didnt do physics. before physics used to be a subject in 1st year but its not anymore, so its not a necessity. i was told that the only time it would come in useful is in 4th year radiology, but thats only applications.
chemistry is probably the most important one. maths, biology and physics will definitely help you, so do them if you dont mind them. a waste of time would be economics (speaking from experience) and the rest of those social sciences.
if you want to transfer you have to a get a distinction average, do really well on the STAT test and write a letter proving your commitment to vet science (you should do work experience and stuff like that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)