V6 and V8 (1 Viewer)

astroe

HSC
Ah, the exemptions are for somewhat sedate and boring cars anyway, i.e Volvos, Saabs, some Mercs/BMW's and VW's.

They have small list of recommended vehicles, but the exemption form asks if you if you have any other cars you can drive in the household so I'm assuming that if you did they'd say no.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah, the exemptions are for somewhat sedate and boring cars anyway, i.e Volvos, Saabs, some Mercs/BMW's and VW's.

They have small list of recommended vehicles, but the exemption form asks if you if you have any other cars you can drive in the household so I'm assuming that if you did they'd say no.
I have a mate who got 135i exemption and I've seen a few old Evo's on the streets with Green P's.

Camski

HSC
I have a mate who got 135i exemption and I've seen a few old Evo's on the streets with Green P's.
Out of curiosity, on what basis did your mate get the exemption?

I'm thinking of attempting to get one for a C63. Now before anyone bad mouths me, it's for safety reasons. Say on a family road trip between Sydney and Melbourne, is it not better to have two drivers to split the drive load?
That and it's being used as a family wedding car, may I drive? :haha:

I think maybe they should make it so that P's can drive restricted cars IF and ONLY IF they have the car's owner in the passenger seat to supervise. I can guarantee you, after spending time around nice cars (latest being Ferrari Cali) the attitude of younger people is VERY different when they have the car's owner next to them (especially given that most people that own cars in this league are of the older age group and SHOULD be more responsible).

I'm one of those people who believe that "excessive road use" should be kept for the track :spin:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Out of curiosity, on what basis did your mate get the exemption?

I'm thinking of attempting to get one for a C63. Now before anyone bad mouths me, it's for safety reasons. Say on a family road trip between Sydney and Melbourne, is it not better to have two drivers to split the drive load?
That and it's being used as a family wedding car, may I drive? :haha:

I think maybe they should make it so that P's can drive restricted cars IF and ONLY IF they have the car's owner in the passenger seat to supervise. I can guarantee you, after spending time around nice cars (latest being Ferrari Cali) the attitude of younger people is VERY different when they have the car's owner next to them (especially given that most people that own cars in this league are of the older age group and SHOULD be more responsible).

I'm one of those people who believe that "excessive road use" should be kept for the track :spin:
Me too, that hasn't stopped me from opening it up on an empty road. Not saying everyone would, but jesus christ if I was in one of those I guarantee at around 2am my mind would wonder to how many adjacent suburbs could I fly through at 200km/h.

For what it's worth, I think exemptions are granted on the basis of household ownership (again, think, no concrete proof). Ie if you only have turbos in the house you'll be allowed to drive them, provided they aren't veyrons etc.

Camski

HSC
Me too, that hasn't stopped me from opening it up on an empty road. Not saying everyone would, but jesus christ if I was in one of those I guarantee at around 2am my mind would wonder to how many adjacent suburbs could I fly through at 200km/h.

For what it's worth, I think exemptions are granted on the basis of household ownership (again, think, no concrete proof). Ie if you only have turbos in the house you'll be allowed to drive them, provided they aren't veyrons etc.
Fair enough, thanks Azamakumar.

I partially agree with you there (200km/h :p) but these cars are also very easy to appreciate under normal driving conditions. Especially your big block V8's, the amount of usable power for everyday driving is astonishing (and so is the fuel consumption :()

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL a C63 is overkill for a P plater's level of experience IMO but good luck getting an exemption for it- the reason why I say it is unlikely is because it has three letters tacked onto the end which scream high performance. My mate with the 135i got one because he lives in "rural" land (although I don't think Dural/Glenorie is that far out!).

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I doubt it has anything to do with location - its all about the badge. I think you could get away with anything euro/upmarket if it were the only car in the family. Doubt you'd get the same leeway if all your dad had in the garage was an STI.

Camski

HSC
LOL a C63 is overkill for a P plater's level of experience IMO but good luck getting an exemption for it- the reason why I say it is unlikely is because it has three letters tacked onto the end which scream high performance. My mate with the 135i got one because he lives in "rural" land (although I don't think Dural/Glenorie is that far out!).
Hmm that's odd, so they do give them out based on a "high performance vehicle" rather than vehicle specifics. When they said for work/country use I was thinking you know, V8 Cruiser but apparently not haha.

As for C63, yeah probably, but who said you have to drive it like you stole it?
There are more than a few responsible people on the road that know when enough is enough.

The whole system is flawed though, you can get your hands on a 335d (ECU flashed to 700Nm - like the cops would ever know) without any exemption at all. Sure it's a flat six, twin turbo, but it's a diesel.

Wait until Ford bring out their force inducted flat four, oh how the walls around the Government's restrictions will crumble around their feet. 200KW force inducted 4 cyl. (in a Falc.)? Yeah right they're going to exempt that. Think WRX..... Congratulations to the Aussie Government when that happens, you've just screwed over your own local car industry and said "no" to a locally built, family car.

Camski

HSC
I doubt it has anything to do with location - its all about the badge. I think you could get away with anything euro/upmarket if it were the only car in the family. Doubt you'd get the same leeway if all your dad had in the garage was an STI.
I've seen a surprising number of WRX's on the road (legit one's, not RX's with kit) with P Plates on them.

Funny you should mention that actually Azamakumar because the Police force seems to think otherwise. Have you seen that news article on that recently impounded Lamborghini?

According to them, with their attitude, "if he can afford a Lamborghini, he can afford to hire a car for [X] days". Now without going into detail of that situation, I don't think they do it based on badge, at the end of the day, it probably boils down to $$$. If they have your cash, you won't hear them complain. Sure a high speed P Plater crash in an exempted high performance car looks bad on the Government's record but how often does that happen?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am pretty sure location makes a difference because I do remember when the restrictions first came out some people argued they lived in the bush/farm and needed the power. Same argument was used by my mate who also lives on a farm/acreage.

Hmm that's odd, so they do give them out based on a "high performance vehicle" rather than vehicle specifics. When they said for work/country use I was thinking you know, V8 Cruiser but apparently not haha.

As for C63, yeah probably, but who said you have to drive it like you stole it?
There are more than a few responsible people on the road that know when enough is enough.

The whole system is flawed though, you can get your hands on a 335d (ECU flashed to 700Nm - like the cops would ever know) without any exemption at all. Sure it's a flat six, twin turbo, but it's a diesel.

Wait until Ford bring out their force inducted flat four, oh how the walls around the Government's restrictions will crumble around their feet. 200KW force inducted 4 cyl. (in a Falc.)? Yeah right they're going to exempt that. Think WRX..... Congratulations to the Aussie Government when that happens, you've just screwed over your own local car industry and said "no" to a locally built, family car.
Congrats you found a flaw in the system. A lot of other people have too. IIRC modifying your vehicle into a high performance car blah blah also is on the restrictions list (too lazy to dig up my original letter from 2005 which explained it).

Anyway I still think a C63 is probably overkill for most novice drivers. Even if you aren't driving it hard, the temptation is there and accidents can and do happen. That and most male P Platers think they are king on the road. I did too :)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I've seen a surprising number of WRX's on the road (legit one's, not RX's with kit) with P Plates on them.

Funny you should mention that actually Azamakumar because the Police force seems to think otherwise. Have you seen that news article on that recently impounded Lamborghini?

According to them, with their attitude, "if he can afford a Lamborghini, he can afford to hire a car for [X] days". Now without going into detail of that situation, I don't think they do it based on badge, at the end of the day, it probably boils down to $$$. If they have your cash, you won't hear them complain. Sure a high speed P Plater crash in an exempted high performance car looks bad on the Government's record but how often does that happen?
That was different though. A hoon (his mechanic) had access to it and hte legislation was black and white with regards to the consequences. Complete wad of shit, that one was, but I'm guessing the magistrate that upheld that law was a 1%er that wouldn't have caved into the demands of a wealthy businessman.

Also, I didn't mean that your location wasn't relevant, only that if you're applying for a family car/work exemption, you're not going to get a kitted out supra available. The 'hoon' cars get rejected a lot more often than not is what I was getting at.

Camski

HSC
Congrats you found a flaw in the system. A lot of other people have too. IIRC modifying your vehicle into a high performance car blah blah also is on the restrictions list (too lazy to dig up my original letter from 2005 which explained it).

Anyway I still think a C63 is probably overkill for most novice drivers. Even if you aren't driving it hard, the temptation is there and accidents can and do happen. That and most male P Platers think they are king on the road. I did too :)
A flaw that is, in the Government's opinion "life threatening".

You're correct about the modifications. Any "performance" modifications aren't allowed. I've wondered about upgraded brakes though....

I respect your opinion with regards to the C63, as you said, accidents happen and it's not hard to see that many involve younger drivers - However they could happen in any car, even if it has a 250 star safety rating, it doesn't matter if you're Schumaker, Lowndes or little Jimmy down the street all grown up at 15 who's taken the keys and ended up in a tree 500 metres down the street.

What i'm trying to convey here is, would you not agree that better driver education is required - Not only for the new comers, but also the elderly and alleged "road legends" rather than restrict, restrict, restrict.

A small example of this is (my mind fails to bring any examples to mind) European countries and alcohol. They have no age limit to drink. Yet despite this, they don't abuse alcohol. See what i'm trying to piece together here?

Camski

HSC
That was different though. A hoon (his mechanic) had access to it and hte legislation was black and white with regards to the consequences. Complete wad of shit, that one was, but I'm guessing the magistrate that upheld that law was a 1%er that wouldn't have caved into the demands of a wealthy businessman.

Also, I didn't mean that your location wasn't relevant, only that if you're applying for a family car/work exemption, you're not going to get a kitted out supra available. The 'hoon' cars get rejected a lot more often than not is what I was getting at.
Agree, but that wasn't what I was getting at. I was getting at the Police Force' attitude to the situation. That if you can afford a nice car, you can afford to hire another car.

Just with regards to the "badge" on Euro cars, the Government probably has a similar outlook on the situation, if he can afford a Ferrari, he can afford a Corolla (for P's).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A flaw that is, in the Government's opinion "life threatening".

You're correct about the modifications. Any "performance" modifications aren't allowed. I've wondered about upgraded brakes though....

I respect your opinion with regards to the C63, as you said, accidents happen and it's not hard to see that many involve younger drivers - However they could happen in any car, even if it has a 250 star safety rating, it doesn't matter if you're Schumaker, Lowndes or little Jimmy down the street all grown up at 15 who's taken the keys and ended up in a tree 500 metres down the street.

What i'm trying to convey here is, would you not agree that better driver education is required - Not only for the new comers, but also the elderly and alleged "road legends" rather than restrict, restrict, restrict.

A small example of this is (my mind fails to bring any examples to mind) European countries and alcohol. They have no age limit to drink. Yet despite this, they don't abuse alcohol. See what i'm trying to piece together here?
Have you driven a high performance car before? It's a very tempting preposition to utilise it. I don't necessarily agree with the approach but I can see where they are coming from by removing the incentive/opportunity to speed easily, they are hoping to keep the death toll down.

The star rating of safety is a totally different matter- that's for helping people who end up in accidents either through their own means or other.

Camski

HSC
Have you driven a high performance car before? It's a very tempting preposition to utilise it. I don't necessarily agree with the approach but I can see where they are coming from by removing the incentive/opportunity to speed easily, they are hoping to keep the death toll down.

The star rating of safety is a totally different matter- that's for helping people who end up in accidents either through their own means or other.
C63, hence why I'm contemplating an attempt at obtaining an exemption, yes I'm still on my L's.

Maybe its because of my limited driving experience that I have less urge to punt around 50+ kays above every speed limit I see because when I drive, sure sometimes its fun to pop the gearbox into 'M' mode and have a bit of fun at the lights but to the speed limit, no further. I get more appreciation out of other aspects of the car like steering feedback and throttle control without exceeding the speed limit.

Like I said, its very easy to appreciate these cars (imo) in real world driving conditions.

Just saying that because your car has a five star safety rating doesn't mean you'll survive an accident no matter how big or small. You'd be surprised at the attitude of some people. They've just bought the latest car with 5*'s and now suddenly they're magically permitted (in their minds) to speed and endanger other people because of their perception of "5 Star Safety".

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
C63, hence why I'm contemplating an attempt at obtaining an exemption, yes I'm still on my L's.

Maybe its because of my limited driving experience that I have less urge to punt around 50+ kays above every speed limit I see because when I drive, sure sometimes its fun to pop the gearbox into 'M' mode and have a bit of fun at the lights but to the speed limit, no further. I get more appreciation out of other aspects of the car like steering feedback and throttle control without exceeding the speed limit.

Like I said, its very easy to appreciate these cars (imo) in real world driving conditions.
I can't help but think that's still a poor choice of car for a learner since it has a much more potent accelerator pedal (I'd imagine less lag) and you are encouraged to accelerate rather than slow down when there is a potential conflict (e.g. lanes merging). But fair enough you raise some very valid points that the C63 AMG is a great car and can be appreciated at low speeds. I personally have never driven one but it's on my todo list :)

Either way, good luck getting an exemption. Doubt it. But if your rents can afford an AMG, I'm sure they can get you a non-exempted car.

Just saying that because your car has a five star safety rating doesn't mean you'll survive an accident no matter how big or small. You'd be surprised at the attitude of some people. They've just bought the latest car with 5*'s and now suddenly they're magically permitted (in their minds) to speed and endanger other people because of their perception of "5 Star Safety".[/QUOTE]

Agreed. A lot of people don't realise the safety tests are conducted at much lower speeds than what they think. I'm still amazed at several German cars which have seen their drivers survive 200km/h accidents (and even rollovers) and the drivers walk away. I hope car manufacturers don't end up engineering cars to meet NCAP testing rather than real world situations.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I can't help but think that's still a poor choice of car for a learner since it has a much more potent accelerator pedal (I'd imagine less lag) and you are encouraged to accelerate rather than slow down when there is a potential conflict (e.g. lanes merging). But fair enough you raise some very valid points that the C63 AMG is a great car and can be appreciated at low speeds. I personally have never driven one but it's on my todo list :)

Either way, good luck getting an exemption. Doubt it. But if your rents can afford an AMG, I'm sure they can get you a non-exempted car.

Just saying that because your car has a five star safety rating doesn't mean you'll survive an accident no matter how big or small. You'd be surprised at the attitude of some people. They've just bought the latest car with 5*'s and now suddenly they're magically permitted (in their minds) to speed and endanger other people because of their perception of "5 Star Safety".

Agreed. A lot of people don't realise the safety tests are conducted at much lower speeds than what they think. I'm still amazed at several German cars which have seen their drivers survive 200km/h accidents (and even rollovers) and the drivers walk away. I hope car manufacturers don't end up engineering cars to meet NCAP testing rather than real world situations.
Some of the enzo crashes that people have walked away from are insane, and look even more nuts since the engine is designed to break away from the front of the car in highspeed crashes so it doesn't crush the occupants.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
F1 drivers crash at 200km/h regularly and walk away

roll cages, 5 point harnesses and helmets with neck brace thingos would save many lives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)