Using Romulus as a related? (1 Viewer)

fattytuna

HSC
N/A
There's one thing I want to clarify.
Can you use "Romulus, My Father" (Belonging prescribed) as a related text for Mod C, and if so, has anybody done this?

My teacher said that you can, but its risky because you will tend to analyse Romulus in respect to Belonging, not Conflicting Perspectives. However, I have found some really good links that would work great in relationship to Ted Hughes Birthday Letters. I can also link it well to the requirements of the rubric. I'm pretty certain that I will use it properly as a related for Mod C if it is allowed.

In any situation, I will only use Romulus if the question calls for two related texts, or if it question matches perfectly with my argument for Romulus. I have another related text handy.

So again, my question is whether I'm allowed to use Romulus as a related for Mod C, and has anybody done so?

tigerian

HSC
N/A
I told my class that's its not really a good idea to use a text in the syllabus because that negates your chances of a sophisticated response as it tells the marker that you researched a suitable related text wide enough . It's allowed but I would speak highly against using it

koreafantasy

HSC
No. Never. You are not allowed to use a set text in yr 11 AND 12 advanced english for your related for another module. You can use 3u english set texts though. eg, you cant use As you like it as a related for mod c conflicting perspectives

SophxMusic

HSC
As I've been told, it's a big no no.
The point of related texts is to demonstrate wide reading and research into the concepts found in the modules.
If you pick a text from the prescribed list, it looks kind of lazy and like you are just trying to prevent any extra work in analysis.
If it was okay, I would have used "The Curious Tale of the Dog in the Night Time" for Crime in Ex1, because it would be an incredible related text. I wouldn't risk it... your choice in related text is your first opportunity to impress the marker.
For example, in Belonging, an intro that reads ""The Hollow Men" by T.S. Eliot..." instantly sounds more sophisticated than "Finding Nemo", of course it comes down to analysis but wide reading and a carefully selected text goes a long way to helping your marks.
I wouldn't risk it.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Using a prescribed text as a related text suggests lack of initiative to markers and although this is still allowed, I would not recommend this as the quality of your essay (analysis) must be very high to compensate.

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
No, it is NOT permitted. This is because the marker of your Mod C essay does not know which AOS text was your prescribed text. Don't do it.

Makematics

HSC
No. Never. You are not allowed to use a set text in yr 11 AND 12 advanced english for your related for another module. You can use 3u english set texts though. eg, you cant use As you like it as a related for mod c conflicting perspectives
We were told you can use year 11 texts freely in yr 12. How would anyone know you studied them anyways?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)