Using a hypothetical case study (1 Viewer)

Ncm

HSC
For the last section of the exam is it bad to make up your own case study, even if it makes sense?

bongoli

HSC
Nope, not bad at all. You can make one up, as long as you make sure that it fits in with what you're talking about. (eg. harry's bakery store utilizes outsourcing as a operations strategy to save on costs). Personally speaking though, i think you'd want some real-life case studies as well in there; so don't forget to add those in.

Ncm

HSC
So why would you need real-life case studies?
For me, it would be easier to compile a few real case studies and apply it to a single hypothetical one and mould it to the question as i go.

bongoli

HSC
So why would you need real-life case studies?
For me, it would be easier to compile a few real case studies and apply it to a single hypothetical one and mould it to the question as i go.
Personal preference, no marker is going to mark you down if you don't utilize real-case studies. But several teachers in my school are particularly fond of real-life case studies, because it shows the student's awareness of the events happening around the world and how they utilize certain events to mould it in with what they're arguing. Everyone has different ways of approaching set stuff, with that being said; there's no right or wrong as long as the combination you use answer the question and consolidate your argument.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'd personally recommend a real life case study to be honest, have a hypothetical one as a back up if you want though.

Ncm

HSC
Personal preference, no marker is going to mark you down if you don't utilize real-case studies. But several teachers in my school are particularly fond of real-life case studies, because it shows the student's awareness of the events happening around the world and how they utilize certain events to mould it in with what they're arguing. Everyone has different ways of approaching set stuff, with that being said; there's no right or wrong as long as the combination you use answer the question and consolidate your argument.
Okay, thanks!

I'd personally recommend a real life case study to be honest, have a hypothetical one as a back up if you want though.
How come?

Constantine

HSC
I've been told that using hypothetical case studies is normally "too perfect to be true" especially when you are using that one business all the way throughout your essay, it really comes through. Experienced HSC markers should be able to differentiate easily between real and made up businesses and they would definitely prefer the first.

When the business is made up you tend to make build it per according to what you're trying to say/prove and it generally ends up without any flaws and I suppose limits your response to being really one dimensional. A good essay should really show why the business is doing well and why it isn't, meaning ways of improvement (strategies) are necessary and thus you need show where it failed. With hypothetical ones they generally lack in that aspect?

Having said that it is still possible to achieve B6 with a fictional business. Although real life cases are preferred it is not compulsory. If you really want to use a hypothetical business I recommend having a real business for the one that can link to all the syllabus dot points (so a big general one, maybe the one with the most resources available out there?) and for other really specific examples where another business example might work so much more better, use a hypothetical one.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

userlastname

HSC
I got Band 6 in business last year completely making up case studies. You have to be very smart about it though: don't be unrealistic and don't be too perfect to the point where it looks like a cop out. But I think being creative also helps, come up with an example that isn't the most obvious/basic case study for your point. But it saves so much time and effort + you can often tailor it to your points more effectively.

nikolaibull

HSC
I got Band 6 in business last year completely making up case studies. You have to be very smart about it though: don't be unrealistic and don't be too perfect to the point where it looks like a cop out. But I think being creative also helps, come up with an example that isn't the most obvious/basic case study for your point. But it saves so much time and effort + you can often tailor it to your points more effectively.
Could you just explain a little on how to not make it look like a cop out? I'm having trouble not making sound 'too good'.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Could you just explain a little on how to not make it look like a cop out? I'm having trouble not making sound 'too good'.
I would consider trying to learn a real case study instead of putting effort into something like this. A hypothetical case study should really be a last resort and it shouldn't really be something you 'prepare' for.

That's my personal opinion anyway

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Real life case studies are far better.

I found it was hard to memorise the case study given to us at school but I found it easy to link concepts to lots of different businesses/organisations I had read about or seen on TV... so I used that.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
What about made up facts or figures about a real business?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Why make it up if you can get real data? I guess it's unlikely a marker would know you were making stuff up... unless there was another person using the same case study as you (which is quite possible if you pick a large company for the basis of your fake case study).

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Why make it up if you can get real data? I guess it's unlikely a marker would know you were making stuff up... unless there was another person using the same case study as you (which is quite possible if you pick a large company for the basis of your fake case study).
Waaaaaay too many facts and figures to remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)