use of '&' in the hsc.. (1 Viewer)

LOOMESY

HSC
allowed or frowned upon?

i remember some crazy teacher in year 8 telling us that we cant use it in the HSC

just curious if she was right or not, seeing i just remembered rewriting an essay just then

so yeah.. are we allowed to use '&' or another symbol for 'and' or do we need to write out 'and' each time?

thanks

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Aha, I actually have no idea. I used + in the trials and didn't get marked down. And the teacher who marked has been an HSC marker for a while, so I would think she'd have mentioned it. She said abbreviations like BNW/BR and LTBMP are frowned upon, but further than that I'm not actually sure.
Sorry lol.

steffiiii

HSC
technically they don't like it and you're not supposed to, but theyre not about to take off 5 marks because you occaisoionly use & or +. They say that it distrupts the reading process or something in english... but i don't think they'll hang you've for it if your content's solid.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
theshortykatt said:
how hard is it to write 'and' ?? not hard at all.
Lol, it's not that it's hard, I just have a really old habit of writing + =| So I really have to think about actually writing it, which distracts me from the flow of what I'm writing. So perhaps I should have been practicing this for a while...

LOOMESY

HSC
Hollieee said:
Lol, it's not that it's hard, I just have a really old habit of writing + =| So I really have to think about actually writing it, which distracts me from the flow of what I'm writing. So perhaps I should have been practicing this for a while...
agreed, it's also much quicker for me seeing i've been doing it for years, it's like second nature now

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, me too. That was pretty much my point =)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
it's all about how you present yourself to the markers... writing out full titles, underlined, writing out words completely etc. is beneficial to you.

Shakespeare's canonical play, King Lear, intended for a Jacobean audience, explores ideax + ideay...

Shakespeare's canonical play, The Tragedy of King Lear, intended for a Jacobean audience, explores ideax and ideay.

dunno, u should do anything you can to better your chances of attaining the highest mark possible, right?...

only thing i admit to doing is abbreviating lord of the rings to lotr because i refuse to write that shit out >:[

dolbinau

HSC
Do I have to underline written works and "do this" to visual texts (aka Movies?) It's so annoying.

HSC
i can not write & it always looks like an 8.

i just write and and occasionally +

I would not write it in an english exam

Kujah

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
Do I have to underline written works and "do this" to visual texts (aka Movies?) It's so annoying.
Underline for everything, and I think quotation marks for poems or song lyrics.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Nah, you're not meant to. It's English, and you're meant to use English.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
& is fine as it is a commonly accepted abbreviation within english. They just don't like seeing LTBMP if you are going to abbreviate it use 'Lime Tree' or 'Ros & Gil" instead of RAGAD, etc.

English markers surely can't penalise your or be that anal for using '&'.

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
:)
you cant coz they get really angry with all the colloquialism( not spelled right) people use these days. it is an english paper and they look for things like that to boost up your mark, like correct spelling (obviuosly not good on my behalf-cant spell colloquail..) and puctuation

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Pretty sure you spelt it right the first time, not the second. Pretty sure =)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
But on that note, I would have thought everyone can spell 'and'... so they don't really needa test that one, lol.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
independantz said:
Yeah because it's so difficult to write ''and"...
Hey, anything to save time, lol.

From personal experience, I used G+R to represent Goneril and Regan in my King Lear assessments and nothing ever happened to me. Can't be sure about the actual HSC exam, since I never got it back, but I think I saw some band six essay using something similar to my notation, ie x+y. So I'm relatively sure & would be ok.

Oh, and I also wrote S'peare as an abbreviation for Shakespeare, lol.

dolbinau

HSC
I use BNW for "Brave new World" after I've said it once

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I read some examiner's comments and they actually said they don't like those sorts of abbreviations. Which I think is pretty stupid, they obviously know what we're talking about, and it saves time and allows us to perform better on the whole, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)