Use of contractions.... (1 Viewer)

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
Just wondering if anyone new the rule code about the use of contractions (eg can't for cannot, & for and, NSW for New South Wales... hope you get it now!!)

Trying to maximise my writing time and amount and not sure if you are 'allowed' to use contractions. I seem to remember my teacher saying to aviod using them...

Any suggestions or ideas??

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
you can use them, but i'm pretty sure that it's not a good idea to, except perhaps in the case of an informal letter or feature article (eg. Write a letter to your friend....)

nomz

i dunno about that exactly, but I know that for texts or characters that you write alot you can write the extended form first time and then in brackets write henceforth blah blah (shortened form). I think our teacher said & was ok.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I think contractions are ok to use. Its best to avoid them though. Of course, an absolutle no-no is to shorten your text names like BNW/BR for Brave New World and Bladerunner or TRNT for the road not taken. If you are going to use an 'and' symbol it should be an accepted one like this --> & or the other one which is like a backwards 3 wth a slash through it.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
alright so same as my teacher... try and aviod

two different ideas there on text names. I am using a peom called "Immigrants at Central Station, 1951" (by Peter Skrzynecki, prescribed text) and wanted to shorten that to "IACS, 1951". What do you think about that??

I used the backwards 3 with a stroke in the trials and another teacher got anyry at us for doing it.

We need an expert... maybe i should dial 13 11 12. what do ya' reckon???

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
yeah i'd ring the advice line and ask. I personally learnt how to write & especially for the HSC and have been doing this for most of the year, so I can't get slaughtered for it, cos its an accepted way of writing and.

I personally wouldn't with the poem, but i suppose if you write it out in full in your Intro and bracket your shortform next to it so go "Immigrants at Central Station, 1951" (IACS, 1951) then maybe....

nomz

we were told we could shorten Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead to RAGAD. But I'm not sure now... better call an expert :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
all i'm saying is, yeah, maybe it might be a good idea to shorten, however, you should write the full text first in your introduction before simply stating your shortform.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
argh i just wrote this out and it didnt work. Spoke to a lady on the Line and heres what she said:

Its ok to use sensible contractions. The markers are trying to award you marks and if contractions make it easier and allow you to write more its not a problem.

Also i specifically asked about the my poem and she said that to would be ok. Using the example ujuphleg did for us all!

so there we have it, the gods have spoken. It is ok to use contractions as long as they are sensible. Amazing :)

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
also while im here i have another question:

Should I underline or place in inverted commas my texts?? ie and eg

Immigrants at Central Station, 1951

OR

"Immigrants at Central Station, 1951"

I have been commasing it, but now im not sure.
Any ideas on this one?? maybe its just a personal preferrence~

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
disco_dave said:
also while im here i have another question:

Should I underline or place in inverted commas my texts?? ie and eg

Immigrants at Central Station, 1951

OR

"Immigrants at Central Station, 1951"

I have been commasing it, but now im not sure.
Any ideas on this one?? maybe its just a personal preferrence~
Normally in inverted commas, its quicker neater and is easier to read.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
from what I understand, a poem should be in single commas so 'Immigrants at Central Station, 1951' whereas something that is published, say a film should be Paradise Road by Bruce Beresford.

So in your case something like:

In the fabulous poem 'Immigrants at Central Station, 1951' by Peter Sfshakjldkfjh (however you spell it) from his suite Immigrant Chronicle the use of yadidididid....

EDIT: theres another thread on this somewhere.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
give me an example? of what exactly?

I do the play Away for my prescribed and i'll give you an example from that.

The music used over this scene is the 'Nocturne' from Mendelssohns A Midsummer Nights Dream

see? this is a piece from this suite.

just like a single poem is quotations and the name of the suite of poems is underlined.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
yeah that makes sense.

Here my word perfect sentence:
Skrzynecki's personifies the postcard, "Warsaw, Old Town / I never knew you" is a great example of language techniques within his peom 'Post card' from his Immigrant Chronicle .

and there you have it, full marks.

and yes you can use & and + for 'and'. very good!!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
yay! disco_dave and ujuphleg: masters of contractions!

(don't tell any pregnant ladies this) (the HSC is making me insane)

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
now i am stoked i have got that sorted... team disco_ujuphleg.

hope we helped some other members when processing through our journey of contractions!!! hehe, journey. Grr, journey

S

Shuter

disco_dave said:
Just wondering if anyone new the rule code about the use of contractions (eg can't for cannot, & for and, NSW for New South Wales... hope you get it now!!)

Any suggestions or ideas??
Don't contract knew to new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)