Urgently wanting to know what Hist115, or possibly Hist114, are like (1 Viewer)

tessery

HSC
Hey! i need to pick my first years subject for my BA tomorrow, i have no idea what i want to major in but i love history so i wanted to do some mod history units, however both 114 and 115 didn;t seem to interest me, and they are the only ones available in semester 1.

if anyone has taken either of these, enjoyed them, hated them - any feedback on them would be great, especially 115. i have to decide by noon tomorrow!

thanks in advance xx

X

xeuyrawp

Do 115, it's a great unit. 114 is like a intense high-school unit, 115 is an interesting uni unit. ;)

What other subjects are you doing?

tessery

HSC
hey, thanks for getting back so quickly! i'm doing arts/law, so i am doing jurisprudence for law, then have chosen intro to psychology 1 and philosophy, morality, society.

so with hist115, what kind of stuff do you look at? i know it starts with the big bang which i thought was a bit weird for modern history lol but it doesn;t give much detail as to what else we look at?

HSC
^ hey, i'm doing the same degree as you :)
and i'm also looking at history.
can i ask though, why do you have to decide your units by noon tomorrow :confused:
and also, do you (or anyone else) have any idea how many subjects we can major in for an arts/law degree???

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe, you guys have about a month or so (the census date is the last day of March if i remember correctly) to withdraw from subjects without penalty, and 2 weeks (or 1 i forget) from the beginning of semester to change around.

So don't panic!

chocolatecookie said:
and also, do you (or anyone else) have any idea how many subjects we can major in for an arts/law degree???
You major in one area usually, thats why its called a major :)

tessery

HSC
hey chocolatecookie, thats awesome we're doing the same degree! lol i just wanted to decide by noon today so i can start working out my timetable, because i'm enrolling tomorrow, and have heard the timetable thingo can be quite confusing.

in terms of majors, you usually have one, though you can sometimes have 2. however, in first year you don;t ahve to pick a major yet, you can just pick three random arts subjects plus 1 law subject and your good. i am doing psych, philosophy and history i think

xx

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your major more likely than not is decided as the highest concetration of units at the end of your degree, or so I was told.

maka

HSC
My mate doing BA/LLB says for his Arts component he is only allowed to do 1 major.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think for most single degrees you can only do 1 major, the exception is the Museum Studies degree which has 3. Crazy people.

X

xeuyrawp

tessery said:
hey, thanks for getting back so quickly! i'm doing arts/law, so i am doing jurisprudence for law, then have chosen intro to psychology 1 and philosophy, morality, society.
I assume you're just in a normal BA/LLB, not a BA(Psych)/LLB? If you're in the psych degree, you should get advice as to what subjects you should be doing.

Look at the psych unit:

Prerequisites: Either: admission to BPsych(Hons) or BA-Psychology/BSc-Psychology or BBA or BHRM or BMedScs
Or: an equivalent admission rank (or aggregate)
Or: for all continuing students 12cp and GPA of 2.50
Or: PSY105(P)
You can't do PSY units unless you're in the degree. You'll have to chose another one.

so with hist115, what kind of stuff do you look at? i know it starts with the big bang which i thought was a bit weird for modern history lol but it doesn;t give much detail as to what else we look at?
It's only 'modern history' because it's taken by the modern history department. You'll understand when you do it; basically it's an introduction to historiography.
Have a look at this; it's a pretty fair outline of the history ('big history') which HIST115 deals with.

chocolatecookie said:
hey, i'm doing the same degree as you :)
and i'm also looking at history.
can i ask though, why do you have to decide your units by noon tomorrow :confused:
Nice, I've done a lot of HIST as well as AHST units. :)

Like it's been said, you generally major in one area; however you don't really have to chose that yet. So you might do something like LAW104, HIST115, PHIL132, and ANTH106 or whatever in your first semester. If you're sure about doing history, maybe do the two HIST units + an AHST unit and the LAW unit. I think that politics, anthropology, sociology, philosophy, etc, also appeal (and are relevant) to history students. :)

maka said:
My mate doing BA/LLB says for his Arts component he is only allowed to do 1 major.
Yes and no. See here for all the 'official' majors in an arts degree. See things like Language and Communication have a few majors to chose from within them (linguistics, English, media, etc etc).

You don't really need to worry about 'your major' yet so much - you just need to do your law unit each semester in first year, along with a range of subjects that will appeal to you. The main issue is choosing your first semester units, because you can easily change your second semester units after first semester (ie when you may have a better idea about them).

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Nice, I've done a lot of HIST as well as AHST units. :)

Like it's been said, you generally major in one area; however you don't really have to chose that yet. So you might do something like LAW104, HIST115, PHIL132, and ANTH106 or whatever in your first semester. If you're sure about doing history, maybe do the two HIST units + an AHST unit and the LAW unit. I think that politics, anthropology, sociology, philosophy, etc, also appeal (and are relevant) to history students. :)
Thanks for the advice =)
I'm pretty sure i'm going to do ahst, and i was thinking to do modern with it too. But I found politics quite appealing, so i was confused as to whether i should major in politics or ahist and which would complement law better (i guess ahistory wouldn't, but i really love it).

But thanks for clearing it up that we don't have to worry about majors yet.

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm, politics is definitely worthwhile; just find out which ones are interesting.

The more I study ancient history, the more I realise that it's not just about studying 'ancient history'. :)

HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's only 'modern history' because it's taken by the modern history department. You'll understand when you do it; basically it's an introduction to historiography.
Have a look at this; it's a pretty fair outline of the history ('big history') which HIST115 deals with.
i ended up choosing HIST115, but i'm a bit skeptical... is it specifically focused on historiography? if so, i'd be really relieved, because i love historiography. the unit description is kind of scaring me though, because it makes the unit sound like a science subject (plants etc) >_<

... and also, if anyone has done pol165 and pol168, what are your thoughts on them?

X

xeuyrawp

Trust me, you'll love the unit. :)

I can show you some of my essays if you want - basically the unit allows people to do science assignments, or history subjects, or whatever. It's very flexible and great.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Trust me, you'll love the unit. :)

I can show you some of my essays if you want - basically the unit allows people to do science assignments, or history subjects, or whatever. It's very flexible and great.
i'll take your word for it =]
so this subject allows me to choose my focus? i can stay away from the science stuff, right?
and yes, it'd probably help if you could show me an essay, if that's okay with you.

=]

X

xeuyrawp

chocolatecookie said:
i'll take your word for it =]
so this subject allows me to choose my focus? i can stay away from the science stuff, right?
and yes, it'd probably help if you could show me an essay, if that's okay with you.

=]
Sure thing. See attached; first and last page of an essay. :)

AsyLum said:
Omg Cheats Im Telling On You!
olol. I think the convener's still got this essay as an example, so anyone who steals any of it has got a quick ride to a Fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Thanks a lot, that provided a nice insight and dispelled any concerns that i had =)

hannahxxx

HSC
chocolatecookie said:
... and also, if anyone has done pol165 and pol168, what are your thoughts on them?
Pol168 was really good. Pretty much what you do is learn to "read" global issues from different perspectives ( liberalist, neo liberalist, marxist, radicalist). You also touch on possible psychological reasons for disputes.

A lot of people commented on the amount of reading required (there is a lot in comparison to other subjects). If you've done modern history in yr 12 (?), then that will come in handy, seeing as the historical background of global disputes is emphasised. You need to know your stuff and do the readings for tuts (the people in my class were pretty sharp). Hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)