Urgent need of help in solving this question. (1 Viewer)

robbie13

HSC
Hey guys,

I am using my last resort as I have had so much difficulties solving this question as it involves the use of Microsoft Office Excel which I am a novice at. If someone is able to do the question or explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated because at the moment my mind is not at ease. Someone please help me :mad:

Question:

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
If you have the equation, then you plot that alongside 120 points.

So you have one column with 1, 2, 3, ..., 119 and 120 in 120 cells, then you calculate the value that corresponds to each m value and put that in the cell next to it. But to do this, you type the equals sign (=), then the formula. In the formula, instead of 'm', you type in the cell number, i.e. A1, A2 etc. You only need to do this for one set of points. The rest, you just drag the two cells down to 120, and Excel will automatically solve the equation for each point.

.......A.|......B......|
----------------------
| 1 | 1 | =(A1)^2 |
----------------------
| 2 | 2 | =(A2)^2 |

If that makes any sense...in that example, the equation is y = x^2. So in column A, you would have numbers 1 down to 120. You don't need to type in all the numbers, you can simply drag from the bottom right hand corner of the cell down to 120. In column B, you have the equation x^2, but instead of x, you have the cell number, which is A1 for x = 1, A2 for x = 2 etc. Excel will automatically calculate the value. Then you can drag that down like in column A down to 120.

Make another column for the second equation. Then graph these two against each other using the graphing tool.

robbie13

HSC
Hey mate,

Appreciate the reply to my thread with a thorough and well detailed guide on how to attack this question. In all seriousness though I just don't understand how to answer this question by doing it on Excel. I am so stressed that I haven't been able to work out how to do it all day. Would you mind doing it for me please? If you don't mind and know 100% how to do the question. This honestly is my last resort as I have tried everything.

I KEEP GETTING NUMBER ERRORS.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

What is the equation? Is it 200x (1+0.005)^0-1 divided by 0.005?

Last edited:

robbie13

HSC
BUMP! Someone please help me!!! :cry:

Last edited:

wsd

HSC
the equation for question (a): ﹛200x[1.005^(m-1)-1]﹜/(1.005-1)
I get this by calculating it as the sum of a geometric sequence. It is kind of tricky because he starts saving his money at the very end of the first month therefore the sequence is 200+200(1.005)^1+200(1.005)^2+...+200(1.005)^m-3+200(1.005)^m-2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)