URGENT: How to do comprehension! (1 Viewer)

w8t4hope

HSC
Hey guys.
I have an English Trial SC paper tomorow and i am struggling with the multiple choice sections.
I find that the answers are often too similar too eachother and hard to tell the difference which is correct/incorrect.
Does anyone have any tips for this?
and also, does any have a tip on how to read the comprehension passages effectively (e.g. read questions first, read passage first, etc. etc.)

thanks!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
remember that your first answer is always the correct answer. Follow your instincts.
Also, don't over interpret the question.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
take a deep breathe
read the questions first
then read the article
write the first answer that comes to your mind.
most importantly, dont stress out too much, as thats when you tend to make more mistakes.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
you can usually work through comprehension passages more effectively if you scan over the related questions first, just so you know what you're looking for

also remember that with the majority of MC questions, they're asking you to choose the most correct answer

so if you find a couple of answers you reckon could be right, try re-reading the answer in context (in the passage). might help

w8t4hope

HSC
ah i see.
so skim read questions, then read passage.
all this time ive been reading the question and finding key words within the passage to answer. its really fast, but i get a lot wrong.
thanks for your responses so far, keep em coming plz :D:D

kr73114

HSC
once you've read all the options available and have come up with your best answer and don't change it. unless it's a stupid mistake.
go all the way with your initial say.

Cee.

HSC
For multiple choice, you just eliminate answers which doesn't seem to be right until you have one last answer left. That answer is probably the best one. Hope that helps :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
According to my english teacher:
2 are definitely wrong
1 looks like the answer ( or answers the text rather than the question )
1 is the answer ( which answers the question )

It also helps to study techniques because there are always bound to be questions about techniques.
I usually skim through the text getting the basic idea, genre, purpose, text type and other essential information and then I read the questions and refer to the text again.

I hate multiple choice too =)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
From past experiences doing comprehension, I've awkwardly noticed that there are always two answers that seem similar. One is more correct than the other. The notion of not knowing the question and leaving it out in multiple choice always stuffs me up. When I look over it again, it feels as though the answer is wrong and thus I change it. Unfortunately sometimes I crossed out the one that was right. I've changed my method by not answering it at the end nor looking over the multiple choice after I'm done. I detest multiple choice and I can't believe it is worth 45 marks. The short answers on the analytic text and creative writing should be considered more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)