UNSW vs UTS What should I choose? (2 Viewers)

heatblaster34

HSC
Alrighty, I am seriously in a tough situation right now because of course offers between these two universities. I intend to do Bachelors of Construction Management, but I am really stuck on which course/uni to choose to persue my studies. Please have a look at the course summaries below between both universities for info.👇

Summaries:
UNSW course
Bachelor of Construction Management and Property
Duration- 3 yrs full-time
Campus- Kensington
Industrial training/professional practice- optional

UTS course
Bachelor of Construction Project Management
Duration- 4 years full time or 6 years part time
Campus- City
Industrial training/professional practice- mandatory

Also, I would like to hear from everyone’s point of view between these two unis and I would love to see personal insights from people whom have already done/are doing this course (preferable from UTS and/or UNSW). Another preferance I would want, is that whether unsw or uts is more approachable from public transport.

Please shed some light into which uni should I choose and help me untangle from this situation!

5uckerberg

HSC
Where do you live? This can be a good question to ask because you can set the decision on which uni to choose.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Where do you live? This can be a good question to ask because you can set the decision on which uni to choose.
It's not going to make much of a difference in this scenario. Both UTS and UNSW are in the city and only around 15 min each from central so it's not like asking about MQ / WSU vs UNSW / UTS / USYD, where there will actually be a difference in travel times depending on where you live

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you value having a more well rounded life while you are at university then UTS is probably better because it runs on 2 semesters and so there are more holidays + these holidays align better with your friends going to unis like MQ or USYD. UNSW at times can be quite stressful due to the trimesters and it can be hard to organise events with your friends from other unis because for example in November all those other 3 unis finish and their holidays begin while at UNSW we keep going till like December middle.

In terms of the actual degrees, I doubt there is many people on this website that know specifically about these 2 degrees as most of the users are in high school aside from some parents, a select few users and moderators.

I would ask this on the UNSW and UTS reddit pages because there will be more likely people that are doing these degrees there or that know someone doing a degree in that area.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Like I said above in terms of the public transport going to either of the unis is pretty much the same for most students in terms of the time and type of transport

It normally involves travelling to Central by a train. Then from central you go to the respective unis

For UNSW - you take a light rail that takes around 15 min

For UTS - it's a 10-15 min walk from central depending on the location of your class since it's not like a traditional uni where there is a campus. The buildings are spread across the city instead

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The education standard is probably a bit higher at UNSW as the caliber of students going to that university is usually higher ATARs / entry requirements and it's a higher ranking university. However you kind of need to balance this with what do you value more since the trimester is a negative, but the effect of it to a student doing a semester vs trimester depends on the degree type. For my degree science, if I had the choice to choose again I would've gone USYD probably but as I was already enrolled at UNSW during the semester time in 2017-2018, I couldn't change mid degree when the trimester got introduced in 2019. However, for my other friends doing like commerce, economics, computer science they didn't experience much difference between the semester vs trimester, so in other degrees there may not be a large difference

heatblaster34

HSC
The education standard is probably a bit higher at UNSW as the caliber of students going to that university is usually higher ATARs / entry requirements and it's a higher ranking university. However you kind of need to balance this with what do you value more since the trimester is a negative, but the effect of it to a student doing a semester vs trimester depends on the degree type. For my degree science, if I had the choice to choose again I would've gone USYD probably but as I was already enrolled at UNSW during the semester time in 2017-2018, I couldn't change mid degree when the trimester got introduced in 2019. However, for my other friends doing like commerce, economics, computer science they didn't experience much difference between the semester vs trimester, so in other degrees there may not be a large difference
Thank you sooo much for your insights! I will try to ask more about the course experience itself on the uni subreddits, but your responses have really helped me in the travel aspect of bothe unis! Thanks again, and I will be still watching this thread for more answers from others as well. 👍

5uckerberg

HSC
If you value having a more well rounded life while you are at university then UTS is probably better because it runs on 2 semesters and so there are more holidays + these holidays align better with your friends going to unis like MQ or USYD. UNSW at times can be quite stressful due to the trimesters and it can be hard to organise events with your friends from other unis because for example in November all those other 3 unis finish and their holidays begin while at UNSW we keep going till like December middle.

In terms of the actual degrees, I doubt there is many people on this website that know specifically about these 2 degrees as most of the users are in high school aside from some parents, a select few users and moderators.

I would ask this on the UNSW and UTS reddit pages because there will be more likely people that are doing these degrees there or that know someone doing a degree in that area.
However, if you are planning to organise events with just friends from UNSW then that is the better decision. Unless you want to be the black sheep in your friend group.

heatblaster34

HSC
However, if you are planning to organise events with just friends from UNSW then that is the better decision. Unless you want to be the black sheep in your friend group.
On the other hand, that is very well true! Although, I currently don’t know which uni my friends are persuing 🙃

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)