UNSW Vs. UNCLE (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I could take offence to that!!
Why? What is so offensive in confirming that as medical students it's acceptable to think that we'd know more about medicine than non-medical students?

As for the rubbing in comment...I try not to. Well, with my non-med uni friends (Perth, not Sydney) it's just a little jab in the "at-least-my-life-will-benefit-others-unlike-your-selfish-Commerce-career" direction. But that's only once in a while.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Hey, this is just a random question, but why to med students (and doctors) look down so much upon non-medical health fields (allied health, nursing, etc)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Hey, this is just a random question, but why to med students (and doctors) look down so much upon non-medical health fields (allied health, nursing, etc)
we dont :|

my aunts are nurses and dentists..
my sister is a nursing student..
my gf is a speech path student..

and it think is a perception.. i did work experience at a pharmacy.. and i respect pharmacist..and other allied health. .

some older docs dun..cos they arent taught too.. i think its to do with responsibility..
like wat do medical doctors do that allied health wouldnt? .. and if it screws up who is liable?

i can only speculate why it happens..
also u always remember the shit docs ;) instead of the nice ones :p

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
they don't look down on any
maybe law/commerce however... heh

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Older doctors were trained to be "leaders" in health care - they were the authority that made the diagnoses and gave the orders, while nurses etc basically did what they were told. Now it's more of a team effort, and so there is mutual respect.

studytutor

If you want to know (i'm at UNSW med 1):

B science (med) is not conferred (well, not in the new programme anyway) and if you want to have an extra science degree, u need to do half a year of extra research. (some of it is included in the standard programme already as part of the individual learning project). so that mean ur degree (s) will take 6.5 years.

that's as far as i'm aware. if ur desperate to know, search up the handbook on the unsw site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)