UNSW Coop 2014 + general questions (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
can anyone give an insight into what is involved with the interview briefing day (the day before interviews)? What is it like?
- chucked into a theatre with 200 other interviewees, brief discussion about general nature of coop program

- break out into course areas and theres usually a panel of current coops providing some insight about that specific course area

- usually time to network afterwards

mreditor16

HSC
- chucked into a theatre with 200 other interviewees, brief discussion about general nature of coop program

- break out into course areas and theres usually a panel of current coops providing some insight about that specific course area

- usually time to network afterwards
okay thanks ON! :D

so effectively you meet your opposition right? if you get an interview, say for actuarial, how many people are you competing against at the interview level? just curious - i.e. how many people get an actuarial interview and from this group, how many people get that 'conditional' offer (i.e. guaranteed offer if your atar ends up passing the cut-off)?

mreditor16

HSC
here I'm confused, because from what I've heard from family friends that are in the coop program (one of whom got 96.something) is that once you reach 96 (or whatever the bare minimum is), they don't care about your atar but more so about your application.

My careers advisor also said that she's on speaking terms with the people of the course, and she has a deal with them that she won't have to provide internal ranks and/or atar estimates.

if anyone can clarify it would be great :) thanks!
the bolded part --> I've heard the same from multiple sources

as for the underlined part, she said otherwise to me - she said she provided them with internal ranks and an estimate - but puts a massive disclaimer about our school and the nature of competition, calibre etc. etc. alongside

maybe she wasn't talking about co-op when saying that...

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
here I'm confused, because from what I've heard from family friends that are in the coop program (one of whom got 96.something) is that once you reach 96 (or whatever the bare minimum is), they don't care about your atar but more so about your application.
I've heard the same thing from my careers adviser, relatives involved in the co-op program already etc.

With ranks, I am sure they take into consideration the level of competition at your school.

Does anyone know what the competition is like for the engineering ones? Is it true that you work for a full year halfway through your degree?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Engineering is very, very competitive as well.

You can get up to 800 applicants per year for co-op, of which only about 20 I would roughly say (disclaimer: I am not too sure about this need a clarification) will make it to interviews possibly. However what I do know is that across the whole engineering faculty, there will only be roughly 8 or less co-op scholars coming in every year.

See with engineering, the training for engineers costs companies a lot of money. Hence they are less inclined to train many students who are in uni.

Even once you graduate with engineering, the hardest step is finding your first job and getting that experience you need to break into engineering. However once you make it in, things get a whole lot easier because it will cost companies less to train you over some specific skills and so they will be more inclined to take you with valuable experience than spend money on untrained graduates.

In comparison to commerce/financial/info systems/whatever else there is, I know for BIS and CIS they had about 60 people interviewed altogether and about 15 to 20 got a co-op offer. My mate and ON clarified this earlier in the year (soz if I have some of the numbers wrong because this isn't something I'm expecting to remember wholly after 10 months of not thinking about it).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
okay thanks ON! :D

so effectively you meet your opposition right? if you get an interview, say for actuarial, how many people are you competing against at the interview level? just curious - i.e. how many people get an actuarial interview and from this group, how many people get that 'conditional' offer (i.e. guaranteed offer if your atar ends up passing the cut-off)?
The number of people who get conditional is equal the number they are taking in for the year.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
For actuarial im assuming 8ish. Theres a document flying around which says the exact numbers for everything

D94

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what the competition is like for the engineering ones? Is it true that you work for a full year halfway through your degree?
Extremely competitive.

Engineering scholars work for two consecutive 6 month periods between their 3rd and 4th year. On return, they then do their thesis/honours year.

dyjs

HSC
Does anyone happen to know the intake for finance and accounting for this year? Or for previous years

D94

HSC
N/A
Does anyone happen to know the intake for finance and accounting for this year? Or for previous years
2014: 7 finance, 7 accounting
2013: 9 finance, 6 accounting
2012: 7 finance, 9 accounting

The number of scholars is dependent on the sponsor companies.

emilios

HSC
So apparently interview offers come out today. Any clue what time?

emilios

HSC
omg LOL! this is a joke. 3.30 and still nothing. hopefully nobody at unsw goofed

omni16

HSC
Something will be out by 5, I mean cmon..

emilios

HSC
Yay landed an Actuarial interview :)

Anyone know how many students get interviews? From further up it looks like theres 8-10 Actuarial scholars accepted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)