UNSW Co-op (1 Viewer)

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
**Cherri~BomB** said:
how is the unsw co-op different to uts co-op in terms of selection criteria? i heard that they were more academic based rather than personality?
Thought i made it clear somewhere in the thread, co-op is not really about marks (well for most co-op scholarships, good luck anyone trying for actuarial..>_<). In fact I am pretty sure it likes to advertise itself with the word "leadership" a lot (even getting us to go to a leadership camp in 1st year). And all you need is the minimum UAI (not counting HSC plus i think, but that got introduced later anyway) to get into the 'normal' version of the course for your year.

I swear 17 in 1000 sounds very much wrong, if recall right from my year it was 770 total applications for ALL of co-op scholarships, with people applying for multiple scholarships in the same application.

As for UTS co-op, the UNSW is just better.....=P especially if you are looking at BIT. I'll post a comparison between the 2 co-ops if people want....i might try to be not biased.

**Cherri~BomB**

HSC
misdreavous said:
I swear 17 in 1000 sounds very much wrong, if recall right from my year it was 770 total applications for ALL of co-op scholarships, with people applying for multiple scholarships in the same application.
770 is not alot... there were around that many ppl applyin for bacc.
we had a representative from unsw come to our school n she said that there were a total of 1500~ ppl applyin for all the co-ops at unsw (including multiple scholarships) and a total of around 120 scholarships were given.

misdreavous said:
As for UTS co-op, the UNSW is just better.....=P especially if you are looking at BIT. I'll post a comparison between the 2 co-ops if people want....i might try to be not biased.
lol yes please!!

Last edited:

**Cherri~BomB**

HSC
ShadowSwifter said:
that you mean the sum of UTS and USNW Co-ops or just unsw?
haha edited, just unsw. i mean in business related co-ops alone theres around 70ish?? (accounting, finance, marketing etc...) not to mention IT n engineering n watever

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah so in each individual department in business, they'd take about roughly 20 i assume, thus confirming what i said before - in accounting there were 1000 applicants last year (1000 probably put accounting as first choice) and 17 got accepted.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
**Cherri~BomB** said:
770 is not alot... there were around that many ppl applyin for bacc.
we had a representative from unsw come to our school n she said that there were a total of 1500~ ppl applyin for all the co-ops at unsw (including multiple scholarships) and a total of around 120 scholarships were given.
770 is the total number of interviews given that year i believe, they don't say how many people actually applied, if my post was confusing...well...sorry...=P

leoyh said:
yeah so in each individual department in business, they'd take about roughly 20 i assume, thus confirming what i said before - in accounting there were 1000 applicants last year (1000 probably put accounting as first choice) and 17 got accepted.
I still think 1000 sounds like too many, also sounds too 'look 1k is a nice big number', but meh....you can ask some accounting co-op, they'd probably know better.
They do not take 20 in each school. Here's a list of scholarships for co-op 07
Accounting 12
Actuarial 16
Finance 6
Marketing 5
BIT 19
ISM 4
Numbers change from year to year as it depends on sponsors, but additional sponsors may sign up during the year.

I have the engineering & science numbers too, but since this is the commerce forums...i'll only put it up if people want to know.

UTS co-op

Duration: 3 years

Money: 13k/year (last time i checked), you get paid more in later years than the earlier years but the average is 13k/year

Content: Accounting - good luck anyone who does it, accounting is the boring-est subject as UNSW and i don't think it will be any different at UTS
Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) - this course supposedly doesn't have as much maths as the unsw variant and tend to focus more on business side of things

Industrial Training: 2 periods of 6 months, 2nd semester of 1st year and 1st semester of 3rd year (could be 2nd year....), this is for BIT but i think it applies for accounting too

UNSW co-op

Duration: 4years, including honours (this means you get paid an extra year, spend an extra year bludging in uni, get to do a thesis)

Money: 15k/year, paid fortnightly

Content: Accounting - main point i have to say here is that you can double major with the commerce co-ops and most people taking the accounting don't actually want to do accounting and co-major in finance, as to my view of accounting in general....see above...=P
Business Information Technology (BIT) - this course has a solid first year program, doing ACCT, INFS, COMP and MATH (basically half science, half commerce). After that you do mainly information systems with a few electives so you can go either technical side or business side.

Industrial Training: Varies within the degrees, usually 3 periods of 6months - 1st semester 2nd year, 2nd semester 3rd year, 1st semester 4th year

I think the main decision is UTS has a shorter degree meaning you'd come out faster, work an extra year before the UNSW people start working. But work is not as fun as uni, and because UNSW gets an additional period of industrial training experience and get paid during the 'extra' year + get honours, I think UNSW is better in that regard. Did i mention you get paid more?...=P

Last edited:

Black Hawker

HSC
misdreavous said:
They do not take 20 in each school. Here's a list of scholarships for co-op 07
Accounting 12
Actuarial 16
Finance 6
Marketing 5
BIT 19
ISM 4
Numbers change from year to year as it depends on sponsors, but additional sponsors may sign up during the year.

I have the engineering & science numbers too, but since this is the commerce forums...i'll only put it up if people want to know.
Out of those, the course with the highest chance to get in seems to be BIT.

Can I get the numbers for engineering and science?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Black Hawker said:

Why? BIT might have the most number of apllicants, does it not?

By the way, I am interested in the numbers of engineering and science too, thanks!

Black Hawker

HSC
lyounamu said:
Why? BIT might have the most number of apllicants, does it not?

By the way, I am interested in the numbers of engineering and science too, thanks!
Really? I thought actuarial/accounting/finance would have the most...

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Black Hawker said:

Computer Science 3
Chemical Engineering 4
Electrical Engineering & Telecommunications 2
Industrial Chemistry 4
Materials Science & Engineering 5
Mechanical Engineering 5
Mining Engineering 7
Petroleum Engineering 1
Photovoltaics & Solar Energy 3
Surveying & Spatial Information Systems 2

BTW if anyone's interested to know a bit more about BIT feel free to ask me.

Edit: You guys are so lucky, no-one told me the numbers when I applied...T_T

Black Hawker

HSC
misdreavous said:
Computer Science 3
Chemical Engineering 4
Electrical Engineering & Telecommunications 2
Industrial Chemistry 4
Materials Science & Engineering 5
Mechanical Engineering 5
Mining Engineering 7
Petroleum Engineering 1
Photovoltaics & Solar Energy 3
Surveying & Spatial Information Systems 2

BTW if anyone's interested to know a bit more about BIT feel free to ask me.

Edit: You guys are so lucky, no-one told me the numbers when I applied...T_T
Damn, those are really small numbers. Pretty competitive. :(

Umm, I wouldn't mind a little more about BIT.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Damn, those are really small numbers. Pretty competitive. :(

Umm, I wouldn't mind a little more about BIT.
Might start a new thread about BIT....if there's enough interest....=P

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Black Hawker said:
I reckon keep it to this thread.

The less people see it, the more chance I have. LOL. :D

Na, it's up to you.
Well, as long as you are an awesome applicant, the number shouldn't matter, I reckon.

By the way, I have seen someone who got 96 UAI getting accepted into Actuarial Co-op Program. I guess the part that UAI plays it not the most significant one.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
^ if they have a strong maths background, then its fine i guess

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
leoyh said:
^ if they have a strong maths background, then its fine i guess
yeah apparently actuarial cares about the maths marks a lot because a lot of people fail 2nd year actuarial and they don't want co-ops to fail...=P

leoyh

mic`
HSC
hahaha even in the normal acturial course, heapssss of ppl end up dropping out cause the maths is just too crazy. they do acturial in their first year only lol, if it even lasts to the end of the year

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
hahaha even in the normal acturial course, heapssss of ppl end up dropping out cause the maths is just too crazy. they do acturial in their first year only lol, if it even lasts to the end of the year
\\

1/3 drop out apparently. Not a good news.

So how many do you reckon apply for actuarial co-op program in general? (500? 1000?)

ShadowSwifter

HSC
lyounamu said:
\\

1/3 drop out apparently. Not a good news.

So how many do you reckon apply for actuarial co-op program in general? (500? 1000?)
just count the number of students in nsw who do 4u maths and do a commerce elective :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)