UNSW Co-op (2 Viewers)

noddy90

HSC
do u guys think co-op is better than a cadetship ? or vice versa?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
noddy90 said:
co-op > cadetship

co-op = more money, more prestige, better sponsors in general

noddy90

HSC
lyounamu said:
co-op > cadetship

co-op = more money, more prestige, better sponsors in general
isnt co op only 15k per year?

and cadetship is 30~33k.

ShadowSwifter

HSC
yeh i would have assumed tha the big 4 pays out the most then comes the co-ops (UTS and UNSW() then other cadetships from mid tier and smaller firms.

isn't it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ShadowSwifter said:
yeh i would have assumed tha the big 4 pays out the most then comes the co-ops (UTS and UNSW() then other cadetships from mid tier and smaller firms.

isn't it?
But don't you have to work though? (like a real job)

ShadowSwifter

HSC
lyounamu said:
But don't you have to work though? (like a real job)
hmm? i think co-op scholarship you have to work, you get a traineeship with their sponsors, but standard scholarships i think don't need you to work, they just give you the money..right? :read:

leoyh

mic`
HSC
noddy90 said:
co-op is much better. disregarding the money, you have a more proper uni life than you would if you were a cadet and everything isn't as tough and hectic. LOL and in relation to money, you get paid lik 15K just to go to uni, thats pretty awesome compared to 30-35K working full time

on top of that, at unsw, i think you get 3 sets of 4-6 months work placement with the sponsor companies. so by the time you graduate, you will have considerable work experience in the related field, so you've pretty much got the same work experience as a cadet but on a much less stress level. i mean, thats the whole point of a cadetship right - work experience and support, which you get as a co-op student.

and with co-op, it opens up a lot more opportunities because you've completed a prestigious degree that not many do. a cadetship in the short term restricts you to the firm that you're at/the field you're in, but a co-op gives you so much more scope cause theres heaps of sponsors and its quite diverse too.

Last edited:

noddy90

HSC
leoyh said:
co-op is much better. disregarding the money, you have a more proper uni life than you would if you were a cadet and everything isn't as tough and hectic. LOL and in relation to money, you get paid lik 15K just to go to uni, thats pretty awesome compared to 30-35K working full time

on top of that, at unsw, i think you get 3 sets of 4-6 months work placement with the sponsor companies. so by the time you graduate, you will have considerable work experience in the related field, so you've pretty much got the same work experience as a cadet but on a much less stress level. i mean, thats the whole point of a cadetship right - work experience and support, which you get as a co-op student.

and with co-op, it opens up a lot more opportunities because you've completed a prestigious degree that not many do. a cadetship in the short term restricts you to the firm that you're at/the field you're in, but a co-op gives you so much more scope cause theres heaps of sponsors and its quite diverse too.
yeahh i heard cadetship is pretty hectic.

but the thing is, with co-op my friends who are doing it at the moment, are looking for jobs and stuff for the holidays. but with the cadetship, i think its guaranteed employment for your holidays?

and im not sure about co-op, but with cadetships you get guaranteed employment with ur firm as a graduate.

haha sighh .

leoyh

mic`
HSC
with co-op, the whole purpose of them giving you the 15K a year is so you pretty much dont need to get a part time job, but most ppl choose to look for one anyway =/

In regards to graduate employment, co-op students are pretty much guaranteed 100% employment because they're different to normal graduates. They've gone through a different degree and training in a sense and thus are in high demand. Most of the sponsor companies would want to recruit a co-op student, meaning there'd be heaps to choose from and it won't be as restricted as a cadetship.

If you happen to not want to work with any of the sponsor companies, you can still apply for a graduate position at another company and compete with all the other grads. As a co-op student you'd probably beat most of them too (at least to the interview) cause you've got a degree that sets you apart. I mean co-op takes like 20 out of 1000, and the fact that ur one of them just shows the employer you're better than the norm already.

either way, co-op is the best option

ShadowSwifter

HSC
oh man i just can't believe UNSW takes even LESS than UTS :(

btw anyone know which pays more? UTS or UNSW?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ShadowSwifter said:
oh man i just can't believe UNSW takes even LESS than UTS :(

UNSW = 15K

UTS = 13K, 12.5K or 12K (not sure which one)

UNSW has more prestige over UTS in my opinion. It does not necessarily have better system of education but I reckon UNSW being better university seems to attract more people. But I am not sure why UNSW takes less because I was expecting them to have more sponsors behind its back.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
UNSW takes less cause they have multiple programs for each. For instance, in business, UTS only has the Bacc, which takes lets say 35. At UNSW in business, they have co-ops in finance, accounting, acturial, marketing and 2 others that i forgot, each taking roughly 20, so overall, UNSW does take a lot more.

Some of the UNSW co-ops are quite nice i must say, like the new one in architecture. that looks interesting.

HSC
ShadowSwifter said:
UNSW does. like someone above me said.
however, when first year BAccs came to my school and talked about the co-op at UTS, they said something like the reason you get paid more is because the co-op at UNSW is 4 years, as opposed to 3 at UTS. (or something along the lines of that)

does it depend on the program ( e.g finance, accounting, marketing) or all UNSW degrees four years? :confused:

leoyh

mic`
HSC
im not sure if it depends on the program or what not, but i think its 4 years because of hte extra work experience. at uts you get 2 sets of 6 months but at UNSW, some of them you get 3 sets of 6 months, and others you get 2 sets of 6 months and 1 set of like 3-4 months. i prefer the latter

HSC
ohh okay. that does make sense. thanks for clarifying that. =]
yeah, i prefer the latter too.

i was looking through the application questions the other day, and boy..they are loaded. what values etc would you bring as a scholar etc etc. haha. its gonna be fun writing the answers to those ones..

=)

**Cherri~BomB**

HSC
how is the unsw co-op different to uts co-op in terms of selection criteria? i heard that they were more academic based rather than personality?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
**Cherri~BomB** said:
how is the unsw co-op different to uts co-op in terms of selection criteria? i heard that they were more academic based rather than personality?
Well I think it should be more academic based than personality based. All co-op programs are like that. They are more academic based.

UTS one is less fierce in terms of competition. The selection criteria would be similar for both. It is just that Co-op at UNSW is harder due to competition.

ShadowSwifter

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well I think it should be more academic based than personality based. All co-op programs are like that. They are more academic based.

UTS one is less fierce in terms of competition. The selection criteria would be similar for both. It is just that Co-op at UNSW is harder due to competition.
just imagine how many people are goin to apply for the unsw one...oh man..to get that one is like winning lottery :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)