UNSW Co-op (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
misdreavous said:
No exactly true.....depends on which co-op you are looking at
Actuarial tend to look for a higher uai so your trial marks matter a lot more.
Otherwise the uai is merely a "meet the minimum requirement and you are in" because they make the offers before the uai comes out.
I think there are also cases where people have gotten in with lower uai......but propbably extremely rare.....i mean the minimum uai is just the cut-off uai for that particular degree that year so if you don't meet the uai you can't actually do that degree at uni....
Yeah, true. But don't you apply for Co-op after UAI? That's what I thought...

thismodernlove

HSC
Eeeh I checked last night and the co-op applications have opened. It's very long and needs our trial marks but it's okay since it finishes in September or something! :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
thismodernlove said:
Eeeh I checked last night and the co-op applications have opened. It's very long and needs our trial marks but it's okay since it finishes in September or something! :)
So, do they choose students based on Trial result, extra curricular activities, leadership skills, reports and etc instead of HSC result?

AppleNader

HSC
lyounamu said:
So, do they choose students based on Trial result, extra curricular activities, leadership skills, reports and etc instead of HSC result?
Yeah they decide before the UAI/HSC results are released.

AppleNader

HSC
lyounamu said:
That sucks for people who get good UAI.

yeah i guess but most of the people that get the Co-op end up getting pretty good UAIs anyway.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
AppleNader said:
yeah i guess but most of the people that get the Co-op end up getting pretty good UAIs anyway.
Are you sure? Because I remember seeing an application form where you needed to provide UAI. I sure about this. May be the application form was a late-application form. I am not too sure whether it was a late one or the normal one.

Do you think they can judge you based on your subjects? I am doing some low scaling subjects and I am worried that they might hold prejudice against me.

AppleNader

HSC
lyounamu said:
Are you sure? Because I remember seeing an application form where you needed to provide UAI. I sure about this. May be the application form was a late-application form. I am not too sure whether it was a late one or the normal one.
This is what I got from the Co-op website. I guess, to make sure it's probably best to send them an email or ring them up.

For Business, a high school leaver leaver must gain entry to the Bachelor of Commerce program at UNSW.

Do you think they can judge you based on your subjects? I am doing some low scaling subjects and I am worried that they might hold prejudice against me.
Well, I think they'd care more about your rankings and marks in those subjects .

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
AppleNader said:
This is what I got from the Co-op website. I guess, to make sure it's probably best to send them an email or ring them up.

For Business, a high school leaver leaver must gain entry to the Bachelor of Commerce program at UNSW.

Well, I think they'd care more about your rankings and marks in those subjects .
I was referring to Actuarial Co-op Program. That's probably why.

And thanks!

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
It has been my goal to get into the Co-op Program for a while now, but I've recently found out that the interview day for Finance is 3 days after I leave for overseas.

I've emailed them about any possibility for an alternate interview day. They basically said no, but suggested that I should complete an application anyway.

Keeping in mind that I can't postpone or not go on this trip, I'm just wondering if any current scholars have experienced a similar situation or know anyone else that has, and was able to get around this? :(

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Faytle said:
It has been my goal to get into the Co-op Program for a while now, but I've recently found out that the interview day for Finance is 3 days after I leave for overseas.

I've emailed them about any possibility for an alternate interview day. They basically said no, but suggested that I should complete an application anyway.

Keeping in mind that I can't postpone or not go on this trip, I'm just wondering if any current scholars have experienced a similar situation or know anyone else that has, and was able to get around this? :(
I've got the same problem. I'm going to America straight after the HSC for a few weeks. But do you know what the 2008 dates are, because on the website I can only find 2007 dates, so i'm hoping theyll change them so they are a little later (like early December rather than late November).

Last edited:

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
midifile said:
Ive got the same problem. I'm going to america after the HSC for a few weeks. But do you know what the 2008 dates are, because on the website I can only find 2007 dates, so i'm hoping theyll change them so they are a little late.
They're roughly the same as the previous year.

Business & BIT: Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 November
Engineering, Computer Science & the Built Environment: Thursday 27 and Friday 28 November

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Faytle said:
They're roughly the same as the previous year.

Business & BIT: Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 November
Engineering, Computer Science & the Built Environment: Thursday 27 and Friday 28 November
But don't you hand in your application form earlier?

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
I think they are making a new site for co-op, that's why the updating of the current site is a bit slow this year.
If you want dates send a quick email to b.okane@unsw.edu.au , i an pretty sure she'll help you out there.

However suppose the interview dates are after your planned leave for holidays, you will need to seriously reconsider whether to postpone your plans or not. The reason they don't hold alternate interview days is because interviews are usually consisted of an uni academic and a person from a sponsor company, it would be too much of a hassle to ask sponsor company employees to come multiple days.
Co-op is one of the bigger scholarships out there, 15k a year is quite a lot and the experience you gain on industrial training would probably be more valuable for your future career than the money. It might be bothersome now to reorganise your trips but if you do get in, you don't have to worry about organising work experience or internships while you are at uni.
In the end, it's up to you.

EDIT: don't believe 2 people posted while I typed my post up...>_<....this is BoS...that's not meant to happen

Last edited:

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
lyounamu said:
But don't you hand in your application form earlier?
Oh yes, definitely. Applications close on 30 September.

My issue is based on the possibility that I will get through to the interview round :eek:.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Faytle said:
Oh yes, definitely. Applications close on 30 September.

My issue is based on the possibility that I will get through to the interview round :eek:.
So only portion of people applying will get into the interviewing stage, yeah?

Then what about the interview itself? Is it one vs one (or two) or something else?

misdreavous said:
I think they are making a new site for co-op, that's why the updating of the current site is a bit slow this year.
If you want dates send a quick email to b.okane@unsw.edu.au , i an pretty sure she'll help you out there.

However suppose the interview dates are after your planned leave for holidays, you will need to seriously reconsider whether to postpone your plans or not. The reason they don't hold alternate interview days is because interviews are usually consisted of an uni academic and a person from a sponsor company, it would too much of a hassle to ask sponsor companies to come multiple days.
Co-op is one of the bigger scholarships out there, 15k a year is quite a lot and the experience you gain on industrial training would probably be more valuable for your future career than the money. It might be bothersome now to reorganise your trips but if you do get in, you don't have to worry about organising work experience or internships while you are at uni.
In the end, it's up to you.

EDIT: don't believe 2 people posted while I typed my post up...>_<....this is BoS...that's not meant to happen
Have you had one before? If so, how was it? What would they generally ask?

And........... don't you need to take something like HSC result or UAI result along with you?

Last edited by a moderator:

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
lyounamu said:
Have you had one before? If so, how was it? What would they generally ask?

And........... don't you need to take something like HSC result or UAI result along with you?
You mean do I have a co-op scholarship?....Yeah, 2nd year BIT co-op. I think I've mentioned before, they don't care about marks that much in general as long as you have the marks to get into the normal version of the course, they'll take you. But extra-cirricular and leadership potential is what they look for most.
As for interview questions, it varies from the different courses, I hear finance asks some random questions but most of the others you just need a fair idea of the industry you want to work in, show some passion/interest, show confidence....and that should really get you in.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
misdreavous said:
You mean do I have a co-op scholarship?....Yeah, 2nd year BIT co-op. I think I've mentioned before, they don't care about marks that much in general as long as you have the marks to get into the normal version of the course, they'll take you. But extra-cirricular and leadership potential is what they look for most.
As for interview questions, it varies from the different courses, I hear finance asks some random questions but most of the others you just need a fair idea of the industry you want to work in, show some passion/interest, show confidence....and that should really get you in.
How do you "prove" that you have done certain extracurricular activities or not? Can't people just write in their application forms? That's what I am worried about. It's not like school gives out certificate for each individual activity you participate in. Wasn't the interview stressful though?

I am very sorry for this tedious questioning. And by the way, well done on your Scholarhship. That's awesome!!!

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
lyounamu said:
How do you "prove" that you have done certain extracurricular activities or not? Can't people just write in their application forms? That's what I am worried about. It's not like school gives out certificate for each individual activity you participate in. Wasn't the interview stressful though?

I am very sorry for this tedious questioning. And by the way, well done on your Scholarhship. That's awesome!!!
They aren't there to cross-examine you.....but they will ask questions like what you thought of blah (refering to your application) and if you can't say much either because you didn't do blah....or because you didn't care much about doing blah, that comes off as a bad impression. Then again....a few have managed to get by with 'fake' things....lol.
Life is stressful, the interview is no different....=P ....just be normal, think of it as a chat rather than I have to ace this interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)